PDA

View Full Version : Steering Advice/help needed concerning power steering hose seals.

Charlie D
03-08-2017, 03:02 PM
I have a leak that drips 8-10 drops a day where the return hose goes into the back of the power steering pump. I have attached a picture of part of the parts catalog for the type A Saginaw power steering pump. I think the best way to fix the leak is to replace the seals 1309-95 and 1309-93. The part numbers are 534675 and 534710.

I looked in the SI catalog but these parts are not listed. A pump gasket kit is listed but per the chassis parts book that kit does not include these seals. In the past, when I was working with the Saginaw system I always kept the pump and main unit together so I have never removed the hoses themselves. It appears the hose end couplers would be taken off the double male fittings 1309-90 and 1309-88 and then those fittings removed to get to the seals. I plan to pump the fluid out of the reservoir but it looks like I will still have some leakage of fluid when those hoses are removed.

There are a couple of hydraulic systems dealers here in Tulsa I have used before. I am thinking about taking the seals down to one or both of them to see if they can match them. Is there anything about my planned course of action that you think can be improved or may not work for some reason or another?

Thank you for your help,
Charlie D.

Corvanti
03-08-2017, 03:16 PM
i'd also take the hoses with you. the seals are probably mis-shapened from use.

karterfred88
03-08-2017, 03:17 PM
If you are sure, after thoroughly cleaning and watching the leak occur there, I see nothing wrong with your plan. If you are not 100% sure I would suspect the tapered seat on the adapter to hose or the hose end itself. I suspect they are common "o" ring type seals and should be findable, maybe even at a "real" auto parts store.

rkapteyn
03-08-2017, 03:27 PM
These are standard "O" rings.
SI probably has them.
Some of the small items they do not inventory but if you call them , they usually
can find them.
I stock these also but I am still recovering from my triple bypass surgery and can not ship yet.
Robert Kapteyn

Charlie D
03-09-2017, 12:41 AM
Thank you for your replies. I will try to pin-point the source of the leak. I had a few leaks in the tranny when it was out and being painted that were fixed. I had a tough time finding the source of one so I cleaned it real well and wrapped toilet tissue around the pan area and within a couple of minutes the magic spot started soaking the tissue. Leak found.

Charlie D.