No announcement yet.

Big Oil Leak Discovered Today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Big Oil Leak Discovered Today!

Howdy gang, well looks like my 63 Lark with 259 V8 wants to keep me busy for awhile. When returning from roadtesting my Lark after setting the timing I saw the bottom of the engine was literally soaked and dropping oil! In fact it leaked 3 warts in 125 miles!! Looks like it is coming from the old mechanical fuel pump which is no longer used since I converted to an electric pump back at the fuel tank to overcome vapor lick issues a couple years back. I left the old mechanical pump in for looks but now it looks like it may be sucking oil along it's operating lever. The engine is dry above the pump but the pump itself is oil drenched and the engine below that point is also wet. Yuck.

Is there a cover, or cap available maybe from SI or elsewhere that I canremive the old fuel pump and place over the hole where the pump goes at the front of the engine to close it off and seal it up??? If not, I was thinking to remove the guts of the old pump and put the housing back on the engine with new neoprene gasket covering give entire opening to block oil from leaki g past. Any ideas??

George

No old fuel lines attached to it?

Maybe the diaphragm ripped and the oil is getting through the internal valving from blow-by...
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Block off plates are available from SI and others, as well as many Auto stores that carry speed equipment, a plate that fits the pattern of your Carter pump is pretty much the same regardless of the engine it was in. Your idea of removing the guts will work so long as you put a plate on first and use longer bolts, if you want the appearance of having one--but why bother.

Comment

My 50 Champion fuel pump had the same oil leak problem, beside the ethanol crap gas destroying the diaphram. I made a mounting plate for the new electric pump that covers the hole, so it took care of the problem. I also made a heat shield to go over the electric pump, to keep the manifold heat away from it.

Comment

Thanks guys. No. No old fuel lines attached to it. I re routed the fuel line around it. It's just there for show but the operating lever obviously is still functioning. I'll contact SI and add it to an order of sundry stuff I need from them.

And for TWChamp, I elected to mount my electric pump just ahead of the gad tank soars to pressureize the entire fuel line forward to the carb. Has been working flawlessly since even in very hot weather!

Comment

Well tonight I found the source of the huge oil leak: it's the rubber flex hose which connects the metal oil line for the oil pressure gauge to the right engine head. I probably cracked the now hard rubber while moving stuff when I stalking the new distributor. I'm presuming SI has one so ill call em tomorrow. The old fuel pump is also weeping oil and I have a block plate coming and will install that between snowstorms.

Also found a gas leak tonight too! But just a bad clamp. Jeez, I wonder if this car is mad at me??!!

Comment

They never made a Studebaker that didn't leak some where. I think they were kept in stock until they stairted to leak & rust.

Comment

I know that today's weather is not the best, but grab a warm coat, your sense of adventure, hop in your brand X vehicle and head to York! Plenty of those oil flex hoses here along with lots of great stuff! Heck... I think someone has a whole spare engine you could kart home!
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                  I know that today's weather is not the best, but grab a warm coat, your sense of adventure, hop in your brand X vehicle and head to York! Plenty of those oil flex hoses here along with lots of great stuff! Heck... I think someone has a whole spare engine you could kart home!
                  Oh, I'd love to, but heck, I'm stuck in my office in Bernardsville NJ can't make it Poop. Would have been a good day to drive out in the Benz, even with the poopy snow!

Comment

Working...
                  X