PDA

View Full Version : Other: 51 Land Cruiser accessories

tim333
03-07-2017, 02:15 PM
I didn't do my homework before buying this car, are these backup lights a correct accessory? 6264662647

Corvanti
03-07-2017, 02:38 PM
yep. they are on page 16 of my '51 Accessories Catalog (for all '51 Studebaker cars).
#AC-2135 all models not equipped with Automatic Drive. Pair.
#AC-2179 all models with Studebaker Drive. Pair.

tim333
03-07-2017, 02:56 PM
Thanks Kerry. I see SI has a replacement lens that matches exactly. I feel better now, lol. How about these front lamps mounted on the bumper?62648 They're bullet shaped chrome with an amber lense.

Corvanti
03-07-2017, 03:05 PM
i don't think so. not in the acc. catalog. i've got the fog lamps on my Champion. #AC-2121.

tim333
03-07-2017, 06:14 PM
These are the bumper mounted62656 lamps...

TWChamp
03-07-2017, 06:19 PM
You can buy those bullet lights on ebay for $10 a pair or less. I bought some to use as turn signals on my Model A. Your's may be wired as turn signals also.
Your outer ring has more chrome than it should, but your 51 sure is a nice looking car.

tim333
03-07-2017, 09:24 PM
The PO installed the bumper lights and wired them as turn signals, said the original sockets were too corroded to get bulbs out. I hope to correct that.

RadioRoy
03-07-2017, 11:31 PM
The first appearance of amber lights on the front of American production cars was 1963. There may be some exceptions that I do not know about.

RadioRoy
03-07-2017, 11:34 PM
Thanks Kerry. I see SI has a replacement lens that matches exactly. I feel better now, lol. How about these front lamps mounted on the bumper?62648 They're bullet shaped chrome with an amber lense.

The outer ring around the bullet nose is supposed to be a piece of body color sheet metal. Look at Corvanti's picture. Many folks leave it off to accentuate the bullet, but that leaves a gap at the bottom.

Still, it's a pretty nice looking car. Good for you! :)

tim333
03-08-2017, 12:38 AM
Ahhh, the PO had it chromed. I saw pictures of the car from the previous owner to the one I bought it from and IT WAS body color. Thanks Roy.

rockne10
03-08-2017, 07:49 PM
Ahhh, the PO had it chromed. I saw pictures of the car from the previous owner to the one I bought it from and IT WAS body color. Tim, the outer ring was chromed from the factory but there was a separate body colored sheet metal piece that covered that wider chromed ring in 1951 models.

tim333
03-08-2017, 09:11 PM
Rockne, now I'm confused! The outer ring is chromed, what "wider chrome ring" are you referring to?

RadioRoy
03-09-2017, 04:18 PM
There is a sheet metal ring, about 1 or 2 inches wide, painted body color, that goes around the outer edges of the chrome pot metal bullet. Notice the ridge on the chrome bullet. The painted sheet metal ring starts at that ridge and goes back to the hood. Look again at Corvanti's picture. Do you see how his bullet seems to be a smaller diameter?

Or look in the chassis parts manual. If you don't have a chassis parts manual, you should BUY one.

tim333
03-09-2017, 04:30 PM
Rockne, if you look at my post 11 I acknowledged that the outermost ring had been chromed by the PO. I also said I saw pictures 2 owners previous showing that ring body color. Then you mentioned that same ring as if there was another further outward!! AND I did BUY all the manuals as I always do when I get another car, they haven't arrived yet.

rockne10
03-09-2017, 07:52 PM
So, you are saying, in addition to the ring itself being chrome, the previous owner also had the sheet-metal ring cover chromed?

tim333
03-09-2017, 09:06 PM
All rings have been chromed, thanks for the close up.62700 So I need the outermost ring body color and the next inner ring back to black.

RadioRoy
03-09-2017, 10:33 PM
How about a picture of the bullet from a low angle looking up?
If the sheet metal ring has been chromed, then there should be a seam. If the sheet metal ring has merely been left off, then there should be a 1/2 inch gap or so in the pot metal bullet.

RadioRoy
03-09-2017, 10:36 PM
All rings have been chromed, thanks for the close up.62700 So I need the outermost ring body color and the next inner ring back to black.

Huh? Back to black? There's no black anywhere on the 51 bullet assembly.

This discussion is a perfect example of pictures being worth a thousand words. Please take a low angle shot so we can see the bottom of the ring.

tim333
03-09-2017, 11:34 PM
This thread is agonizing drawn out! The picture in post 15 shows the outermost ring body color and the next ring inward black does it not??? Is that a 51 bullet nose??

RadioRoy
03-10-2017, 02:01 AM
Yes, this is becoming tedious. A picture is worth a thousand words. That is a 51 bullet nose in post 15, and in all the other pictures in this post as well. The chrome part is probably looking black to you in the picture.

Please just take a picture of yours showing the underside of it and we can explain it to you.

Or maybe somebody who knows how to post pictures here can scan the drawing from the chassis parts book.

Discounting screws and washers and such, the 51 bullet assembly has three pieces:
-the center plastic bullet
-the chromed diecast ring
-the body color sheet metal ring that fits over the rear portion of the chrome diecast ring

Your car either has the sheet metal ring chrome plated, or more likely, it has just been left off. Many people leave the ring off to make the bullet appear bigger.

A picture of your bullet, taken from a low angle looking up, will tell the story, whereas apparently we can talk/write about it for weeks without doing anything further than causing more confusion.

If your bullet has a slim seam on the bottom, then the sheet metal ring that is normally painted body color has been chromed.

If your bullet has a 1/2 inch wide gap at the bottom, then the sheet metal ring has just been left off.

Since you know how to take pictures, and you know how to post them on this forum, will you please take one from that angle?

TWChamp
03-10-2017, 08:10 AM
Click on the picture in #15 twice to blow it up, and you can see exactly what Roy is talking about.
The "BLACK" is just an optical illusion.
I think your picture looks like the painted metal ring was left off, but a low angle picture will tell, as Roy said.

Corvanti
03-10-2017, 02:41 PM
Tim, i like the look of more chrome on your bullet nose. the next time i have to take the grilles out (horns don't work), i'm going to see if my 'nose has decent chrome underneath the body painted ring.:)

unless you are going for "total correctness", i'd leave the nose as is. i would change out those turn signals though...

tim333
03-10-2017, 02:50 PM
Here's a low angle pic.[ATTACH=CONFIG]62732[/ATTACH
The Chassis parts book calls the outer ring..."Ring, radiator grille panel ornament rim - prime " and the next inner "Ring, radiator grille panel ornament." So we can put this to rest, I need to paint the outer body color.

Yeah the bumper lights have to go.

Corvanti
03-10-2017, 03:26 PM
looks like no "body color ring" to me.

RadioRoy
03-10-2017, 05:21 PM
Thank you for the picture.

I beg to disagree with Corvanti. It looks to me like the sheet metal "body color" ring has been chrome plated. Notice the screw holding both ends of the sheet metal ring together? Notice the wider gap of the die cast chrome ring behind it?

Normally the sheet metal ring will have no gap (see Rockne's picture in post 15) but it could have been distorted in the chroming process, such that it could not be tightened any further to bring the ends together.

TWChamp
03-10-2017, 10:22 PM
Pick up a ring at a junk yard or from someone here, and paint it body color.
That way it will fit better, and you'll have a choice of chrome or color.

Corvanti
03-11-2017, 12:25 PM
Roy, i believe you're correct. i was going by the bottom of the color ring on mine. :o