PDA

View Full Version : Fuel System: Fuel Tank

Ron Genzel
03-07-2017, 10:47 AM
I have a 55 Studebaker Commander and was wondering where i could find a new fuel tank. I really don't want to use my old one.

RadioRoy
03-07-2017, 10:54 AM
There are two different 55 gas tanks - one for sedans and wagons and another one for coupes and hard tops. You might specify what style you have.

If you don't mind, you might also say why you don't want to use the old one.

More complete information will lead to a better answer.

karterfred88
03-07-2017, 12:26 PM
I have a 55 Studebaker Commander and was wondering where i could find a new fuel tank. I really don't want to use my old one.

Unless somebody has a secret stash, you will either find a good used one or wind up fixing yours. Or, substitute a tank from another car still being produced in the aftermarket, modify it to fit. Easiest is to repair yours if possible as needed, and put it back in. Welcome to the Studebaker world. Unlike a GM, Ford or Mopar classic cars, there is a minimum of replacement parts out there. Were it not for our vendors there would probably be none.

Tom B
03-07-2017, 12:27 PM
Bye the way, welcome to the forum. We all have problems with fuel tanks.

TWChamp
03-07-2017, 01:49 PM
I agree with the guys. How bad is your tank?
Someone used tank liner in my good 1950 Champion tank when they restored the car 23 years ago, and this new ethanol crap gas was stripping it off and plugging up the intake line. I removed my tank, put in a half gallon of E-85 and a couple handfuls of lag bolts and wood screws, then tumbled it for a couple hours. It looks like new inside now and has been working perfectly. I first thought I'd look for another tank and take the easy way out, but I couldn't find one.

warrlaw1
03-07-2017, 02:12 PM
I used Gas Tank Renu (franchised) for the tank on my 55K. They coat it inside and out, then bake it. No problems in 8 years.

Ron Genzel
03-09-2017, 06:29 PM
Sedan. And I'm not sure if the tank is rusted on the inside. I just want a new one

Ron Genzel
03-09-2017, 06:31 PM
Nice. Guess i will be getting the renu gas tank stuff. Thanks