PDA

View Full Version : FS - 1955 Studebaker President 2dr Coupe

lasmith03
03-06-2017, 02:25 PM
1955 Studebaker President 2dr Coupe Custom. Came from a large estate collection. Two-tone light blue with light blue interior. With a body tag of 16G8 C5 509 this car started out as a Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight Coupe. It has been updated and modified with features of other Studebaker models. The engine stamped R3013 is believed to be a 289ci V8 Automatic from a 1963 Studebaker Avanti R1. The car has also been upgraded with PS PB and an underdash A/C unit. The dash is also not original but from a Studebaker Hawk and the fog lights are from a Studebaker President Speedster. Pretty cool. Paint is a 9 out of 10 with only a couple chips. There are some slight hazing scratches in the trunk lid as well. Chrome and stainless trim is almost perfect.

THE BAD:
The windshield and passenger window are cracked and need replacing. The carpet also needs steam cleaning.

The front floorboards had rust. They were repaired poorly by just screwing in new panels over the areas and sealing it. It works but probably should be redone right. (see pics) There is no rust anywhere else.

Otherwise the car looks beautiful and runs and drives excellent. A good quality driver car.

Asking $15,000.

S2Deluxe
03-06-2017, 11:48 PM
That Hawk dash isn't correct either, it's more common, but in my opinion looks so much nicer in there than the original.

Mark

clonelark
03-07-2017, 06:18 AM
What is the Period correct AC ad on, i see a Sanden compressor and an under dash AC, not to be picky but earlier AC was in the trunk and tubes in the back shelf.

lasmith03
03-07-2017, 04:42 PM
I just mean that in the 60s this was the unit you would add on. I didn't mean a 1955 unit and not a Vintage Air one either.

jclary
03-07-2017, 06:10 PM
I just mean that in the 60s this was the unit you would add on. I didn't mean a 1955 unit and not a Vintage Air one either.

At first, seeing the few number of posts you have made, I was worried that we might run off a new member!:( However, I noticed you joined this forum back in 2015, so I assume you visit the forum, and just don't post much.:) So, now I'm feeling better about the chance you have "lurked" here and learned that sometimes it takes a pretty tough skin to handle comments we often dole out here.;)

I have one of these cars sitting quietly in my pole barn, very original, only it needs total restoration...everything.:( In comparison, although your car has many things not exactly original...it looks great.:!:
The price posted makes it pretty much a no-way no-how to lots of us cheapies.:QQ:

Posting "negotiable" opens up a whole 'nuther bunch of possibilities to others.:cheers:

lasmith03
03-13-2017, 10:06 AM
Lowered price to $27,000. Negotiable.

lasmith03
03-15-2017, 09:43 AM
I know that the dash is from a Hawk now. That got me thinking that maybe the motor is not original. What do you guys think?

4jc8z
03-15-2017, 09:58 AM
That firewall mount master cylinder is for sure not original.

lasmith03
03-21-2017, 09:14 AM
Price lowered to $25,000. New pics.

S2Deluxe
03-21-2017, 01:30 PM
I know that the dash is from a Hawk now. That got me thinking that maybe the motor is not original. What do you guys think?

It may not be? The only way to know for sure, what engine you have, is to check the number stamped into the machined pad at the front of the block on the drivers side. The paint color looks correct for a '55 engine. The partial flow oil filter that would have been standard equipment for the original engine, is missing. It as well as the oil filler tube it should be mounted to would interfere with the location of your air conditioning compressor, so perhaps it was removed? If your engine has a full flow oil filter at the back of the oil pan on the passenger side it is a '62 or later model. As are the two bolt valve covers with oil filler caps, Studebaker went to the use of these, also in '62 when they also eliminated the oil filler tube. I can't tell from the pictures but if you've got the car in front of you, it shouldn't be too hard to find some answers?

Mark

TX Rebel
03-23-2017, 12:30 PM
Price lowered to $25,000. New pics.

I have seen nice Speedsters sell for that!

S2Deluxe
03-24-2017, 05:26 PM

Like it ( selling them ) or not ( buying them ), the value and scarcity of our Studebakers is increasing every day! This '55, while not a Speedster, it does have the fog lights and a beautifull color scheme of both the paint and upholstery. That from the pictures, looks to be in excellent condition! The Hawk dash, is a popular modification for the early, '53 -'55, C/K bodies and this one appears to be done quite nicely! It requires a degree of familiarity with these models that isn't common among the general public, to even be noticed as anything other than a very attractive dash in a beautiful car. The air conditioning system, while also not authentic show car correct, appears quite tastefully done? If it works reasonably well, would be a nice feature to have in a car that is driven on any kind of a regular basis? It would be more desirable if the engine is the original? The lack of an oil filter, if that is the case, shouldn't be a deal killer? It wouldn't be too hard to add one. Until the introduction of the full flow oil filters on their engines in mid year '62 they were only an option on most Studebakers. As long as the new owner changes the oil regularly, it may still go many thousands of miles even without one? If it's not the original engine, something closer to R1 specifications would have quite a bit of appeal but without knowing any actual specifics, why speculate? I don't have the cash to spend now but if I did? I'd start with a counter offer of $12,000 and believe that a fair price for it is somewhere nearer to the middle? I don't know, how bad anyone else might want it, it does look like it would be a blast to drive around in?

Mark

lasmith03
03-28-2017, 09:07 AM
I'd start with a counter offer of $12,000 and believe that a fair price for it is somewhere nearer to the middle.

I'm trying to end up with a number around there. Lets negotiate.

BTW Speedsters sell for over $35k at the auctions.

I have alot of interest in the car. Its a true 1955 which is a desirable year. Runs and drives great. Yes its not all original but its all tastefully done. It is a great driver approaching show car. Would love for the car to go to a Studebaker Drivers Club member.

lasmith03
03-28-2017, 09:14 AM
BTW I also have a 1950 Commander Conv for sale that came from the same estate in the same condition. I haven't listed it because the brakes are down and will have to be gone through. Would love to make a package deal.

TWChamp
03-28-2017, 01:21 PM
BTW I also have a 1950 Commander Conv for sale that came from the same estate in the same condition. I haven't listed it because the brakes are down and will have to be gone through. Would love to make a package deal.

I assume you meant to say you have a 1950 CHAMPION convertible.

colt45sa
03-31-2017, 09:17 AM
Like it ( selling them ) or not ( buying them ), the value and scarcity of our Studebakers is increasing every day! This '55, while not a Speedster, it does have the fog lights and a beautifull color scheme of both the paint and upholstery. That from the pictures, looks to be in excellent condition! The Hawk dash, is a popular modification for the early, '53 -'55, C/K bodies and this one appears to be done quite nicely! It requires a degree of familiarity with these models that isn't common among the general public, to even be noticed as anything other than a very attractive dash in a beautiful car. The air conditioning system, while also not authentic show car correct, appears quite tastefully done? If it works reasonably well, would be a nice feature to have in a car that is driven on any kind of a regular basis? It would be more desirable if the engine is the original? The lack of an oil filter, if that is the case, shouldn't be a deal killer? It wouldn't be too hard to add one. Until the introduction of the full flow oil filters on their engines in mid year '62 they were only an option on most Studebakers. As long as the new owner changes the oil regularly, it may still go many thousands of miles even without one? If it's not the original engine, something closer to R1 specifications would have quite a bit of appeal but without knowing any actual specifics, why speculate? I don't have the cash to spend now but if I did? I'd start with a counter offer of $12,000 and believe that a fair price for it is somewhere nearer to the middle? I don't know, how bad anyone else might want it, it does look like it would be a blast to drive around in?

Mark With the addition of A/C, I'd speculate that the electricals have been converted to 12-V as well. With a P/B booster on the firewall it must also have hanging pedals~? Lots of changes on this car. For those of us who are not 'purists', this could be the one we are looking for. Need answers to several other questions and input or 'eyeball' by someone who knows this car or these cars. Could never make an offer till we get some more answers. Sign this one, "looking for a President State Coupe"

lasmith03
04-02-2017, 08:17 PM
Ok guys. I finallly had time to do some looking on the President.

First the engine block code is R3013. So I think its a 289 V8 from a 1963 Avanti.

Second: the pedals are hanging pedals and not floor mounted.

Third the body tag reads: 16G8 C5 509. So does that mean it started out as a Commander? What does the C5 and 509 mean?

Fourth: When looking under the car I found poorly repaired front floor pans. Looks like the new panels were just screwed in over the bad areas and sealed. I added pics of that. I looked for other rust on the car but didn't find any.

So I've dropped my asking price. Looking for solid offers. Just need to move it to a happy home.

S2Deluxe
04-03-2017, 08:52 AM
Ok guys. I finallly had time to do some looking on the President.

First the engine block code is R3013. So I think its a 289 V8 from a 1963 Avanti.

Second: the pedals are hanging pedals and not floor mounted.

Third the body tag reads: 16G8 C5 509. So does that mean it started out as a Commander? What does the C5 and 509 mean?

Fourth: When looking under the car I found poorly repaired front floor pans. Looks like the new panels were just screwed in over the bad areas and sealed. I added pics of that. I looked for other rust on the car but didn't find any.

So I've dropped my asking price. Looking for solid offers. Just need to move it to a happy home.

In '55 Studebaker used the following body codes for its three basic models. 16G = '55 Champion, 16G8 = '55 Commander, 6H = '55 President. The C body coupes, like your's, were available in two different trim levels - C3 = Deluxe and - C5 = Regal. So what it's body tag tells us is that it was and always will be, the 509th Commander Regal starlight coupe built in '55! If someone's replaced the Commander emblems with President ones, it's not all that hard to change them back if anyone really wants to? It's nowhere near as significant as the installation of the Hawk dash, air conditioning, R1 engine, firewall mounted brake booster and master cylinder! Seeing these changes, I wonder if perhaps someone has also installed the '63 - '64 front disc brakes? Although not show car correct, a lot of Stude freaks would see all of this as desirable upgrades!

Mark

lasmith03
04-03-2017, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the info!!!

S2Deluxe
04-03-2017, 04:15 PM
Allow me to clarify. It's the 509th C body welded up in 1955, but that number sequence also included C bodies for Presidents and Champions. And the body numbers were not always used sequentially as the serial numbers were. C body 511 could have been assembled into an automobile some time before C body number 509.

I'm sorry Roy, if I'm confused, please forgive me? I believe the number stamped on the body tag for a '55 Commander Regal starlight coupe, after the (16G8 - C5), applies only to that models production total at the time. If this is not correct, then it would be possible for a Commander Regal starlight to have a number on the tag that would be higher than the number actually produced and I don't believe that is the case!

Mark

RadioRoy
04-03-2017, 04:57 PM
I'm sorry Roy, if I'm confused, please forgive me? I believe the number stamped on the body tag for a '55 Commander Regal starlight coupe, after the (16G8 - C5), applies only to that models production total at the time. If this is not correct, then it would be possible for a Commander Regal starlight to have a number on the tag that would be higher than the number actually produced and I don't believe should really be the case!

Mark

Well, it turns out that I am full of baloney and Mark is correct.

Bob Palma was kind enough to explain in a PM.

I stand/sit corrected.

lasmith03
04-12-2017, 10:44 AM
Price drop. Asking $18,500

jackb
04-12-2017, 10:58 AM
I think the pics speak for themselves and the honest seller and kind comments made here....

lasmith03
04-25-2017, 04:49 PM
Price drop. Asking $16,500. Negotiable.

lasmith03
06-06-2017, 06:21 PM
Price drop. Asking $15,000.

lasmith03
08-24-2017, 10:36 AM
Still looking to sell. Asking $14k.

ddub
08-24-2017, 11:04 AM
I think you might do well to put this car on ebay. It is a very nice rest-o-mod and should sell. This forum has some lookers and commenters but not many buyers. We mostly have all the cars our wives will tolerate. On the other hand, I did recently buy a car I saw on the forum.

PackardV8
08-24-2017, 11:27 AM
Any idea what else has been done to the brakes? Not the usual path to convert through-floor pedals to swing pedals and firewall master, but leave everything else original. Could have happened, though, given the builders method of floor repair; sure easier to stab in a patch panel without pedal(s) in the way.

OT, but that style repair actually brings back memories. Back in the dark ages of 1962, before our Stude vendors had replacement floor panels, I had a '56 Flight Hawk with the typical rusted out driver's floor. My dad suggested patching it using roofing tar, galvanized roof flashing and sheet metal screws. That never leaked a drop and quietened the road noise as well.

Another OT, but it was only after I joined here I learned Studes came with protective sheet metal shields underneath around the clutch and brake pedals. It would seem every owner or mechanic who had to work under there removed them but never replaced them. I must have been under a dozen Studes without seeing the shields in place.

jack vines

Hallabutt
08-24-2017, 01:59 PM
Whether I missed it or not, has anyone asked about the transmission. Talked about the engine being "updated," (289 from R1 Avanti and automatic) but do we know if it has a Power-shift, or does it still have the DG250. If a later long tail shaft AT was used the work that was done should be obvious from a glance underneath the car.

StudeRich
08-24-2017, 03:59 PM
My thoughts EXACTLY, Bill!

I am surprised no one has said, asked or mentioned a VERY important feature like; is the Detroit Gear 3 Band Studebaker Automatic STILL in there, behind that 240+ H.P. 289? Or, what? I see the Column shift Automatic setup is there.

jimmijim8
08-25-2017, 07:24 AM

Tis a pretty car. Too bad bout the floor. We can only wonder bout other places. I let go of my 55 Pres hardtop for 14,900. It was factory rust free. II suppose I could have gotten more but owning 2 studes and keeping them proper kinda took the fun out of owning 2 at once dollar wise. cheers jimmijim

lasmith03
10-26-2017, 11:35 AM
Been getting some messages. This car is SOLD. Thanks.