PDA

View Full Version : Body: windlace replacement

clifford
03-04-2017, 11:33 AM
I have new windlace to install in my 55 President coupe, and have lowered the dash in preparation for doing the job. Is there a secret to reinstalling the dash? It is such a tight squeeze for the dash to pass the windlace that I'm afraid of damaging the new windlace trying to get the dashboard back in place. Obviously the windlace was installed first as the clips are behind the corners of the dash pad. I haven't installed the new windlace yet, but tried getting the dash back in place with the old windlace still in, and although I did manage to get it in, it sure is a tight fit. Anyone have any secrets for doing this job? Thanks

jackb
03-04-2017, 12:29 PM
It is definitely a tight fit and challenging. Best done with 2 people, but I have done it alone. Place the driver's side in first and have your helper hold it in place. You then need to place a something between the cowl edge (windlace) and your end of the dash used like a "shoehorn". I think I last used a thin piece of Plexiglas. You and your helper will likely be tilting in unison to get the final fit... GL

acolds
03-04-2017, 08:32 PM
One advantage with new windlace is that it will be softer and more flexible than the old stuff

MrHemi2U
03-04-2017, 09:47 PM
I just put my dash back in and used a wide putty knife to hold the windlace back while I popped the dash into place.