PDA

View Full Version : Making Prints from a Digital Camera 1953 Champion in Museum

TWChamp
03-03-2017, 11:53 PM
I wanted to make a print of this beautiful 1953 Champion in the Studebaker National Museum. I went to Wal Mart, where they used to have a good Kodak machine to make prints. The Kodak would let you make several adjustments to the pictures to make sure they came out just as you like them. For some reason they got rid of the Kodak and went with Fuji machines, which give you no control and crop the tops off the cars.

Today I went to Fleet Farm, where they have the good Kodak machine, so I was able to make a perfect picture suitable for framing.

BTW, just think if it's 1953 and you walk into the car dealerships. If anyone went to a Studebaker dealership and saw this car, I just don't see how the big 3 could have sold any cars, and Studebaker should have cornered the market.

62550 62551

Mark L
03-04-2017, 01:21 AM
I seem to remember reading that if you walked into a Studebaker dealer in 1953 and you wanted a 2-door hardtop, you couldn't get one unless you wanted to wait a long time. Studebaker's management had tooled up to sell more 4-doors than 2-doors, and once they realized their miscalculation and re-tooled, the buyers had already moved on to another make. The word in the press was that the build quality wasn't that good, and I'm sure that kept many other potential buyers away.

If more were available and the 1st-time quality had been better, you're right, they probably would have sold a lot more.

wlfrench
03-04-2017, 05:23 PM
Weren't the 53 Loewy designs considered very radical at the time?

raprice
03-04-2017, 06:11 PM
Yes, they were definitely designed to look European and they succeeded. They're still contemporary today. Signs of a good design.
Rog

Commander Eddie
03-04-2017, 08:14 PM
Designers and the art world loved these cars. They garnered lots of awards. The general public on the other hand wanted the same box their neighbor had and they wanted it for the lowest price they could pay. And since they planned on replacing it every two years it did not have to be build all that well. As a result, these cars did not fly off the showroom floor as they certainly should have. Too bad.