PDA

View Full Version : Master cylinder help

lumpy
03-03-2017, 08:37 PM
Hey guys , I purchased what is supposed to be a turner master cylinder bracket assembly for my 59 lark last week at the swap meet. Of course no instructions .:QQ: I purchased the recommended jeep master cyl #36237 . In the past when doing a disc brake swap the rule of thumb was the larger reservoir goes to the front disc brakes , the smaller to the rear drums. This master seems to have the same size front and rear….Im assuming since the master is now reversed under the floor that the line closest to the pushrod is the line to the rear drums? And yes I'm going to install residual pressure valves. Thanks in advance Lumpy;)

mbstude
03-03-2017, 09:12 PM
The port closest to the pushrod always goes to the front brakes.

lumpy
03-03-2017, 09:19 PM
Are you sure ? I have several gm masters with the large reservoir to the front of the master.

mbstude
03-03-2017, 09:32 PM
Are you sure ? I have several gm masters with the large reservoir to the front of the master.

Never dealt with any GMs, but every Stude I've had with a dual mc (including one I put a Turner kit on) were plummed with the port closest to the pushrod going to the front wheels.

lumpy
03-03-2017, 09:38 PM
Thank you ,Been looking at several pics on line , did anybody remove the residual valves in the master?

StudeRich
03-03-2017, 10:23 PM
The Master Cylinders with same size reservoirs are for DRUM Brakes and have Residual Valves in both, and you only need one for the rears.
Due to the larger movement of Fluid after Pad wear in the Disc Brakes, they require the Large Rear Reservoir, for the Front Brakes.

Without looking it up, I do believe that the 36237 is the recommended replacement for a '64-'66 Lark Type with Manual Drum Brakes, or with the proper Fitting Adapters, for a '63 Lark Dual M/C.

Subject to correction by Jim Turner.

64V-K7
03-04-2017, 05:41 AM
The port served by the LONGEST Stroke always goes to the front brakes, no matter what MC you use.

acolds
03-04-2017, 09:58 AM
The AMC master I used had Rear port stamped see pic

StudeRich
03-04-2017, 05:25 PM
That would be correct Al, as most if not all Forward reservoirs on Dual M/C's were for the Rear Brakes. You did use that on a DRUM Brake Car, correct?

lumpy
03-04-2017, 05:51 PM
Jim Turner Contacted me ,and although he didn't owe me anything he sent me all the info. What a great guy! :!!:

acolds
03-04-2017, 07:30 PM
My master cylinder is for a AMC with four wheel drums has 1 inch cylinder same size as stock Studebaker single. Plan to change to AMC for disc when I convert to disc brakes. Waiting for sbca96 to make his steel disc brake set up adapter which uses the Studebaker hub with new style disc pie pan rotors.

lumpy
03-04-2017, 09:31 PM
There seems to be a big difference of opinion on this subject… some guys run a single master with a 2 lbs valve in front and a 10 lbs valve in rear… disc drum set up. Not my first choice. Some guys use a dual reservoir drum type master with above type residual valves…Lots of discussion on correct front -rear line location. not everyone seems to agree. also if a person uses in line residual valves should the valves in the master be removed? Just went out i garage to double check the corvette master on my 57 chevy. Big reservoir in front .

sbca96
03-06-2017, 02:39 AM
My master cylinder is for a AMC with four wheel drums has 1 inch cylinder same size as stock Studebaker single. Plan to change to AMC for disc when I convert to disc brakes. Waiting for sbca96 to make his steel disc brake set up adapter which uses the Studebaker hub with new style disc pie pan rotors.

The wait will be over soon! I am updating the info thread shortly.

Tom