Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High School Auto shop builds a '64 Convertible (picture now)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High School Auto shop builds a '64 Convertible (picture now)

My grade 11 -12 Auto Shop class took on a stale 15 year old restoration of a '64 Daytona Convertible. I'm new to Vancouver Island and have been invited a couple times out with the SDC...thanks Mark, where I met a gentleman who's convertible needed to be finished. I offered to build it for him in my auto class.

Wow!... What arrived on Monday morning was a really nice Canadian Built 1964 Convertible 185 ci automatic. The original project stalled after the car came out of the paint shop, so my students will install windows, cat whiskers, carpet, seats, bumpers,grill and all the other bright work and trim work. We've been asked to change the entire braking system with bigger V8 brakes for some better stopping power.

At this point we've got the rear hubs off, brake parts down to the backing plates, the car has been clean out, we had to deal with a few generation of mice in the glove box and another in the convertible top and started to clean up and paint some parts. bumper has been polished, the grill too. The owner has been finding missing parts and dropping off parts by the school.

My students are fully engaged and pretty excited to be working on a cool project like this.

Allen
    Last edited by studebaker-R2-4-me; 03-07-2017, 07:21 PM.
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Bravo!
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Fantastic! It seems most school systems around here have done away with these kinds of classes.
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Would the owner and your school allow you to share some pictures of the project? Bravo on having young people not afraid to do physical labor, get dirty, and learn about more than a computer.

Comment

Please excuse my skepticism. Over the years, I have known two Stude 289 motors that were, "overhauled" by high school shop students. Once something becomes a student training aid, it should be designated as such. Afterward, it should also be rendered permanently unserviceable, i.e. cut in two, so nobody ever tries to place it back in service again. Long story short, both of those motors were only worth the price of scrap iron.

I also know of a 1957 Golden Hawk that was entirely, "restored" by prisoners in an auto-shop training program, and the outcome was similar to the above 289s.

Comment

mmmmm.... I would be interested in how Hagerty & others might cover an insured vehicle restored by students ? Does the shop class/school have a "boiler plate" policy that covers such ? Just wondering.... Also, through thought, and having restored a 64' ragtop 2X..... if you don't have the torque (subfloor) boxes installed or equivalent (and there really is little equivalence), forget body alignment and durability for after 2 years....

Comment

These shops are only as good as their teacher, one that can really inspect all work being done and correct as needed.
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                These shops are only as good as their teacher, one that can really inspect all work being done and correct as needed.
                Agree and Allen is the man to handle that aspect Im sure !
                sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I had the engine in my '49 2R5 rebuilt by the local vo-tech class in 1974-75. It was still running fine when I sold it in 1980.

Comment

I can see some of the scepticism, but I personally feel it is overruled by the fact that young folks are being introduced to Studebakers. I agree with 2R5 and hope they all learn something. Lets see some progress pics!
                    Bill

Comment

I graduated high school from a voc-tech school, where folks who lived in the surrounding community could apply to have their vehicles worked on by students supervised by trained instructors......

Most everyone agreed it was an EXCELLENT program!....Good for the tech students, and the vehicle owners alike!

I'm sure the '64 Stude convertible will come out very, very nice!!!

Comment

Those that accept the work of the students and the instructor accept the fact that the quality of the work may not be "perfect". They do rely heavily on the instructor to do their job and foresee the pitfalls and fix them before they are a problem.

I had a friend in high school that relegated a Pontiac 400 to the same heap as described above. Even after I pointed out what he SHOULD have done, he got mad at me and told me I was wrong, even though I had already rebuilt 3 engines before I ever took a HS shop class.

You can lead a horse to water.......
                        Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
                        1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

They're not going to learn if they don't have something to learn on. It's a win/win if they do the car and the owner gets a good deal. Doctors and Veterinarians need to go through the same process so in any case you are depending on the instructors to lead them correctly.

My oldest grand daughter in Vet school just lost her first patient after many successful surgeries because the anesthesiologist administered the wrong dose of anesthesia. On the other hand, a friend lost a good friend a while back that was undergoing knee surgery. He was 45 and the surgeon had done hundreds of these operations.

The bottom line is, students need to learn by doing what they are going to be doing as a career. Luckily, I didn't blow the wall out of the chemistry lab I was experimenting in.

Kudos to Allan for allowing his students to practice real world applications.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me View Post
                            My grade 11 -12 Auto Shop class took on a stale 15 year old restoration of a '64 Daytona Convertible. I'm new to Vancouver Island and have been invited a couple times out with the SDC...thanks Mark, where I met a gentleman who's convertible needed to be finished. I offered to build it for him in my auto class.

Wow!... What arrived on Monday morning was a really nice Canadian Built 1964 Convertible 185 ci automatic. The original project stalled after the car came out of the paint shop, so my students will install windows, cat whiskers, carpet, seats, bumpers,grill and all the other bright work and trim work. We've been asked to change the entire braking system with bigger V8 brakes for some better stopping power.

At this point we've got the rear hubs off, brake parts down to the backing plates, the car has been clean out, we had to deal with a few generation of mice in the glove box and another in the convertible top and started to clean up and paint some parts. bumper has been polished, the grill too. The owner has been finding missing parts and dropping off parts by the school.

My students are fully engaged and pretty excited to be working on a cool project like this.

Allen
                            Excellent, Allen; 'Way cool. Keep up the good work. BP
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me View Post
                              Wow!... What arrived on Monday morning was a really nice Canadian Built 1964 Convertible 185 ci automatic.
                              A '64 Daytona 6 Convertible would have had a 170 c.i.d. OHV Six Engine, has it been changed to a 185 Flathead?
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X