PDA

View Full Version : 54 champion coupe windshield pump

barry gibbons
03-02-2017, 08:47 PM
I have a 54 champion coupe. Their a pump on the floor. How does the pump work getting water to the windshield? I have no connection on the pump or water resevior to see how it works.

unclemiltie
03-03-2017, 09:21 AM
There will be a connection on the bottom of the pump. Some pumps had 2 connections so you will have to check which style you have. If you have one connection (most likely on 54) it will have a hose which will run to the larger fitting on top of the bag or jar. The smaller hose will then run to the sparayer(s) When you pump then it creates pressure to force the fluid out of the bag or jar.

If you have a non-studebaker version then it probably works similar.

You will need to check the pump to make sure it is still putting out pressure.

The pumps with two hoses ran the fluid through the pump which meant they tended to fail

Good luck

barry gibbons
03-03-2017, 10:12 AM
Thanks That how one connection works

rockne10
03-03-2017, 01:36 PM
The single hose pump will have a valve that prevents backflow attached to the top of the washer bag. The double hose pump has the valve inside the pump.

barry gibbons
03-04-2017, 09:52 AM
I have a lot of parts, can I get a picture of the check valve and the system. I have a glass jar that says windshield water bottle, did they use glass for a water container?

StudeRich
03-04-2017, 04:41 PM
A small triangular Glass Bottle of Studebaker Concentrate to mix with water and add to the Reservoir was used mounted on an inner Fender on some models and years, but all of the Pump Reservoirs were Bags on earlier Cars and Plastic bottles on later ones.

If you have a Large round glass bottle, the system or parts of it is likely Aftermarket or GM.

rockne10
03-05-2017, 01:22 PM
If you have a Large round glass bottle, the system or parts of it is likely Aftermarket or GM.Unless your Studebaker is 1952 or earlier; in which case the glass jar is correct from factory.62592 And you can just barely see the check valve in the top of this reservoir. It is white nylon with three orifices and a tiny metal cap.

barry gibbons
03-07-2017, 06:58 AM
Thanks I have a 54 champion. In my Dads parts he had a glass jar like the one you had in the picture. But no check valve. Thanks, now I need to look for a bag type water container.

rockne10
03-07-2017, 04:32 PM
Thanks, now I need to look for a bag type water container.Available new from many of our Studebaker vendors, as well as the bracket for the end of the battery box. Note there is no check valve in the cap of this bag; in this case the valve is in the pump. 62654