Source for Lark paint chips.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for Lark paint chips.

My Lark paint chips seem to have fallen into the black hole that eats everything around my house. Can anyone recommend a vendor with paint chips? The next swap meet around my part of the world is not until the middle of March. The only other chips I have are out of a dealers fact book and I don't want to lose pages out of it or lend it to a paint shop for matching purposes.

Jeff T.

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
    The Replacements.
    \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
    The Replacements.

quote: The only other chips I have are out of a dealers fact book and I don't want to lose pages out of it or lend it to a paint shop for matching purposes.
    I'm all for having a collection of paint-chips and color charts.

BUT...........

Paint-chips out of (most) paint books produced by the manufacturers (Dupont, Acme, SherWill) are NOT a very good way of matching paint. Most of the ones from the 50's-70's are INK representations of the original color. They are NOT actual paint chips. Some solid colors are pretty close, but I have put MANY of the printed charts against nice original paint- and most were not even close. The printing technology just couldn't "match" paint color (especially metallics) to any reasonable degree of consistency.

For color-matching purposes- the best results are by having your paint-store match a nice piece of ORIGINAL paint. Door jambs, trunks, firewall, and underneath moldings and weatherstrip- are the best places to find undamaged original paint to match to.

I also have original STUDEBAKER color charts that are real PAINT... not INK... these are suitable for color-matching. Fandecks, and Engineering/Data books- usually have real PAINT.

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
    Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com

Comment

quote: The only other chips I have are out of a dealers fact book and I don't want to lose pages out of it or lend it to a paint shop for matching purposes.
      I'm all for having a collection of paint-chips and color charts.

BUT...........

Paint-chips out of (most) paint books produced by the manufacturers (Dupont, Acme, SherWill) are NOT a very good way of matching paint. Most of the ones from the 50's-70's are INK representations of the original color. They are NOT actual paint chips. Some solid colors are pretty close, but I have put MANY of the printed charts against nice original paint- and most were not even close. The printing technology just couldn't "match" paint color (especially metallics) to any reasonable degree of consistency.

For color-matching purposes- the best results are by having your paint-store match a nice piece of ORIGINAL paint. Door jambs, trunks, firewall, and underneath moldings and weatherstrip- are the best places to find undamaged original paint to match to.

I also have original STUDEBAKER color charts that are real PAINT... not INK... these are suitable for color-matching. Fandecks, and Engineering/Data books- usually have real PAINT.

Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com

Comment

quote:the best results are by having your paint-store match a nice piece of ORIGINAL paint. Door jambs, trunks, firewall, and underneath moldings and weatherstrip- are the best places to find undamaged original paint to match
        I agree. I have a couple of chip sheets with paint samples attached from 1953 and 1960. Paint matching these samples does not match the paint on the car. Dark samples get darker over time; car paint exposed to sunlight gets lighter, etc. A paint scan of an area on the vehicle that has been hidden from sunlight will yield the[u]closest modern</u> match. If you are painting a portion of the vehicle, this may still not match an area that has been exposed to weather for fifty years.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:the best results are by having your paint-store match a nice piece of ORIGINAL paint. Door jambs, trunks, firewall, and underneath moldings and weatherstrip- are the best places to find undamaged original paint to match
          I agree. I have a couple of chip sheets with paint samples attached from 1953 and 1960. Paint matching these samples does not match the paint on the car. Dark samples get darker over time; car paint exposed to sunlight gets lighter, etc. A paint scan of an area on the vehicle that has been hidden from sunlight will yield the[u]closest modern</u> match. If you are painting a portion of the vehicle, this may still not match an area that has been exposed to weather for fifty years.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

What year are you looking for? I may have a set kicking around.
            Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

What year are you looking for? I may have a set kicking around.
              Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

Please check with this vendor. He usually has a ton of paint chips for sale. He might not have them listed currently on his web site, but he has them. Just send him an email. good luck

58 Packard Wgn (Parade Red)
                58 Packard Wgn (Park Green)
                58 Packard Sdn (Shadowtone Red)
                62 Daytona (White)
                63 R2 Lark (Super Red)

Comment

Please check with this vendor. He usually has a ton of paint chips for sale. He might not have them listed currently on his web site, but he has them. Just send him an email. good luck

58 Packard Wgn (Parade Red)
                  58 Packard Wgn (Park Green)
                  58 Packard Sdn (Shadowtone Red)
                  62 Daytona (White)
                  63 R2 Lark (Super Red)

Comment

autolit.com is a good source for old DuPont sheets.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                    '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

autolit.com is a good source for old DuPont sheets.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                      '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Try looking them up on this site http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/

steve blake

steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup
                        http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

Try looking them up on this site http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/

steve blake

steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup
                          http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

Working...
                          X