PDA

View Full Version : Need help picking up some parts in Minneapolis

starliner62
03-02-2017, 07:59 AM
As some of you know, I have a 1959 Brand X Ranchero that I use to pick up and haul Studebakers and parts. It really is a workhorse and I have let it go downhill for a while. It's time to get it back in shape and while browsing Facebook, I came across an auction for Little Dearborn in Minneapolis , Minnesota. I bid on two rear quarter panel skins and a nice under dash A/C unit. Well, to my surprise, I won the auction.
Now, how to get them home. I have put a call in to the guy handling dispersal of the parts and am waiting for some kind of shipping quote. If the shipping falls through, is there anyone close to this area that wouldn't mind picking these parts up and holding them until I figure out how to get them? Better yet, if they were going to York, I could pick them up there. I would really appreciate any help and I would be happy to reimburse for time and trouble.
I really didn't think I would win the auction, especially at the price I paid, but I did.
I'm open for suggestions. Thanks guys!

DieselJim
03-02-2017, 10:18 PM
Have them shiped Greyhound.

starliner62
03-03-2017, 04:40 AM
I'm waiting to hear from the parts removal guy. I was mistaken on the location. The parts are at University Avenue in Minneapolis. I hope he will work with me to get the parts shipped. If not, it looks like a 2000 mile round trip will be in order.

FleetMaster68
03-03-2017, 07:32 AM
Talk to Fastenal. Seller boxes or palletizes, drops at local fastenal store, you pay shipping to your nearest store and collect. Engine from California to near South Bend Indiana was $350ish. They use to fill out space on trucks moving their goods around nation. Likely cheaper than your gas and time. Something to consider.

TWChamp
03-03-2017, 09:05 AM
I just did a 1500 mile round trip to Scottsbluff, Nebraska to pick up a Delco Light Plant, and the fuel cost in my 1999 Olds was $101.07, and I got to see parts of the country I hadn't seen before. I did the whole trip in just under 2 days, but I should have taken more time.

54stude
03-03-2017, 09:20 PM
Send me a pm, I can probably help somehow. I work less than a mile from where the parts are, but I am not going to York.

BobWaitz
03-06-2017, 11:30 AM
There are a couple of people from the Twin Cities heading to York. If you haven't made arrangements yet, PM me your contact info and I will hook you up with them.

starliner62
03-07-2017, 08:20 AM
PM sent, Bob. Thanks!!

starliner62
03-08-2017, 05:16 AM
There are certainly a great bunch of guys in our club, including this forum. My parts have been picked up and are safely in storage until the swap meet in May.
I can't thank the folks that volunteered enough. Looks like I'll be buying beers in South Bend (or diet coke, coffee, milk....)

swvalcon
03-08-2017, 08:52 AM
Glad you got them picked up. I will be still going to south bend so if you have any problems let me know. Steve