PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy 1955 Studebaker President Speedster

Jeneane
02-28-2017, 05:16 PM
Anyone know of any 55 Studebaker President speedsters for sale?
Thanks,
Jen

greyben
02-28-2017, 05:22 PM
There's been one on the Portland craigslist for a couple of years. It would take a lot of dedication, time and money to bring it back.

willisl55
03-01-2017, 10:43 AM
Barry Hackney has one on his site..www.studebakersite.com (http://www.studebakersite.com/)

Jeneane
03-01-2017, 11:34 AM
I already inquired about that on... $60,000. Is more then I want to pay.

Photoguy
03-01-2017, 01:25 PM
Here is one that needs some work for $7900 - not mine

https://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/5981413670.html

64studeavanti
03-02-2017, 09:41 AM
I think $7900 is high for a non running speedster needing complete restoration. I would rate this car as a #5 being worth around $3000.

Hallabutt
03-02-2017, 02:40 PM
Jen,

Are you planning to add a Speedster, or trade it for your new purchase? When looking for the right Speedster patience is a real virtue. There weren't many built but there are a surprising number that have survived, and that have been restored. Just pick your color choice and sit back and wait. These are not cheap to restore so find the best one that you can find. Finding a nicely restored car can be a real bargain. You should be able to find a decent car starting around twenty thousand dollars with a concourse quality starting about twenty five thousand>. There was a pretty nice one over on the Olympic Peninsula recently. Look through some of the posts on this site, over the last six months or so, and I think you might find something about it. I've had a goodly number over the last fifty years. The one that I restored during the seventies was my second car and it's restoration was a labor of love, but it's not something that I would want to do over! Let me know if I can help.-Bill

handworn
03-02-2017, 04:25 PM
I think $7900 is high for a non running speedster needing complete restoration. I would rate this car as a #5 being worth around $3000.

I don't think it's that bad. I'd pay $3000 any day for this example. It looks like it needs less rechroming than a lot of them, which would save a considerable expense. Looks like a fair amount of the interior is keepable, too.

SN-60
03-03-2017, 02:58 PM
If the Speedster you consider hasn't been driven in a while, there's a very good chance it was parked because of its automatic transmission.....Beware the 'DG' (Detroit Gear) automatic transmission!!!!...If you purchase a President Speedster with a bad one, figure at least 4-5 thousand to have it fixed properly. :ohmy:

The '55 President Speedsters would possibly be the MOST collectible of all the 50's Studebakers but for two things: ......they're 6 volt electrical system, (last year for that), and that darn 'DG' automatic transmission!

I never would have purchased 'The Doctor's Car' if it weren't a standard w/overdrive job! :!:

Hallabutt
03-03-2017, 04:54 PM
Here we go again! Fact is that chances of finding a 1955 Speedster with an OD is virtually nil. So do you think those of us who have Speedsters and properly operating DG 250's should do some sort of swap. Of your 350, or so, survivors that are on the road today, probably 90% of them are using their original transmissions. I have been into 55's far longer then you have and probably have had more of them then you have had. Like any car, the condition of the trans is something that is important to evaluate. If it's good it's, it's good if it's bad you don't buy the car. Until now I have tried to keep my mouth shut, but your constant railing on the subject has become obsessive.

TWChamp
03-03-2017, 06:20 PM
For several years Studebakers were my daily drivers, and I liked them more than any other daily driver. My 1999 Olds 88 is nice for the A/C and 33 MPG highway, but otherwise I'd rather drive my 6 volt Studebaker, except during the 6 month road salt season. I've always gotten 12 to 14 years out of my 6 volt batteries, and they never failed to start the car or give me any problems. The 12 volt batteries normally are shot after 5 to 6 years. I like my 6 volt cars with generators.

mbstude
03-03-2017, 06:44 PM
If your 6 volt Studebaker doesn't crank easily, you have a problem (or 3) and it isn't that the car is using 6 volt electrics.

JoeHall
03-03-2017, 07:08 PM
Sounds like the Speedster's DG is on par with the 56J's Ultramatic, and both even have a lock up TC, at least I have heard the DG has it too. Back in the day, many 56Js were parked with under 50,000 miles, due to failure of the Ultra. Even when working optimally, Ultras are finicky, and sort of have a mind of their own. I once drove a 56J about 20,000 miles after rebuilding the Ultramatic, but it was just not as much fun as a T85/OD. If I ever owned a Speedster (not likely), it would probably get a T85 swapped into it, with column shift. And yes, it would be a DRIVER :)

Charlie D
03-03-2017, 11:15 PM
SN-60,

The 1955 President State Sedan that I am restoring is 6 volt and has a DG-250-M. Hearing your opinion about these two items over and over and over again is really getting old!! All of us on the forum have our opinion on various items but I do not know anyone who restates them over and over and over again like you do. It’s getting pretty old.

Charlie D.

clonelark
03-04-2017, 01:05 AM
My 55 Conestoga has a 6 volt and a DG transmission and i have never had a problem the 15 years i've owned it, and yes it has been driven twice to Branson and twice to middle Kansas to Studebaker meets. it is not a restored car just a very nice original. Even original paint.
http://i64.tinypic.com/2itsjeg.jpg

ken-renda
03-04-2017, 08:11 AM
Anyone know of any 55 Studebaker President speedsters for sale?
Thanks,
Jen

If you are still looking, check your private messages.

oilnsteel
03-04-2017, 10:38 AM
I drove a 1955 coupe with the DG automatic 40,000 miles or so in the 1970s under severe conditions. I was a stupid teenager doing stupid things. I am no longer a teenager. The transmission has many features, such as a self preservation device to block engagement of park or reverse over 5 mph or so (don't ask how I know). The engagement of the direct drive clutch was a bit harsh. I queried an ex Studebaker engineer about this, he said "that's so you know its working".

The trans never once gave trouble.

That being said, These trans are a lot older now. I have above average mechanical ability, and would not hesitate to buy a car with one in it. My dad always said "Somebody made it, so someone can fix it".
I wouldn't buy one if I didn't have any 2 of these 3 things: a. Time, b. Mechanical aptitude, c. money.

The shop manual spells out how to repair them pretty well, and you have to remember that when they were new, the majority of cars were sticks, and many mechanics had to learn the hard way.

My biggest concern would be the availability of fresh new seals and etc.

The trans in that 55 developed a front seal leak in 1998, I like to clash gears, so it got a T-85. I still have the car.

Jim

vetteson
03-04-2017, 12:33 PM
Whew! I'm glad I found one that had a factory 3-speed, although missing when I bought my Speedster. Everybody has an opinion about something in every car ever built. I went to 12 Volts, and I installed a GM MY6 4-speed OD with factory installed Hurst shifter. Works great with bench seats. One month out from being on the road

SN-60
03-04-2017, 01:08 PM
Whew! I'm glad I found one that had a factory 3-speed, although missing when I bought my Speedster. Everybody has an opinion about something in every car ever built. I went to 12 Volts, and I installed a GM MY6 4-speed OD with factory installed Hurst shifter. Works great with bench seats. One month out from being on the road

Yes, you were indeed lucky to find a 'factory built' standard shift President Speedster:!!:.....Although many Speedsters equipped with the 'DG' automatic transmission have been converted to stick shift over the years, only 151 Speedsters left the factory with standard (O/D) transmissions!

532R11
03-04-2017, 01:33 PM
I came across this on Craigslist. It's not mine and I'm not certain if it's the exact model you're looking for, but I figured I'd bring it to your attention: https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/5952002040.html

vetteson
03-04-2017, 03:40 PM
Yes, you were indeed lucky to find a 'factory built' standard shift President Speedster:!!:.....Although many Speedsters equipped with the 'DG' automatic transmission have been converted to stick shift over the years, only 151 Speedsters left the factory with standard (O/D) transmissions!

Huh, so did all Speedsters with the stick have OD as well? Actually someone had welded over the clutch opening, but the chassis parts were there. I'm using the original pedal (came with the car) but a hydraulic clutch setup. Posted pictures about a year or so ago. It would be interesting to know what one of the previous owners had in mind for this car, probably never know...

Hallabutt
03-04-2017, 03:56 PM
For me 55's with a DG or a standard OD is not an either or. I try to choose cars on the basis of their overall condition. The transmission is just one of the things that I consider. Ignoring a good car because it doesn't have the right transmission, IMHO is foolish. The flip side is giving too much weight to transmission type when purchasing the wrong car, because it had the right trans is equally silly. Thinking that by buying a car with standard and OD, that by it's nature, is a fail safe proposition is crazy. Understanding that each is going to have it's own set of caveats is critical to evaluating the car's condition.

Personally I treasure the fact that I have had the opportunity to drive cars that have had the DG option. I have logged over 50K miles of driving in DG equipped cars, most of which was in the 60's when it was daily transportation. Looking back at the experience I am pleased that I was able to experience these special cars with their transmissions as my regular transportation. I had no more concerns then I would have had with any other car, or transmission. Today I'm excited that I can enjoy the same reliability as I did more the fifty years ago. I like cars the way they were built, and I especially like the uniqueness of the 1955. The story of the DG is a great one, but not one that is not well known outside the Studebaker community. It's part of automotive history and needs to be told. I'll leave others to decide how they want to change their cars, I like them the way they are.

SN-60
03-04-2017, 05:26 PM
Huh, so did all Speedsters with the stick have OD as well? Actually someone had welded over the clutch opening, but the chassis parts were there. I'm using the original pedal (came with the car) but a hydraulic clutch setup. Posted pictures about a year or so ago. It would be interesting to know what one of the previous owners had in mind for this car, probably never know...

Yes, all factory stick shift Speedsters had O/D as standard equipment....it was not an option.

SN-60
03-04-2017, 07:36 PM
I came across this on Craigslist. It's not mine and I'm not certain if it's the exact model you're looking for, but I figured I'd bring it to your attention: https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/5952002040.html

This is an extremely nice looking '55 President coupe, and by the looks of it WELL WORTH the asking price! :!:

RadioRoy
03-04-2017, 07:59 PM
This is an extremely nice looking '55 President coupe, and by the looks of it WELL WORTH the asking price! :!:

It's virgen, too. :) Is that like being vegan? The only problem is the breaks dont work too good. Those are the breaks.

TWChamp
03-04-2017, 09:30 PM
That looks like a very nice car for the money, and the seller even says he'll deal on the price. Like I said, Studebakers are often undervalued.

SN-60
03-05-2017, 12:48 PM
I remember the gorgeous '55 President COUPE someone did up as a Hialeah Green/Sun Valley Yellow Speedster several years ago....He must have started with a wrecked 'real' Speedster, because all Speedster equipment was installed on that coupe!.....Studebaker should have built one like that!!!! :!!:

jerezstude
03-05-2017, 07:27 PM
I must be selling my rebuilt DG transmissions to cheap. We get $1000 for the 200's and $1200 for the 250M's. Guess I should rethink my prices as we do them all the time at those prices. There is nothing wrong with the DG transmissions if you know what you are doing when rebuilding them. They are actually easier to rebuild then the Flight-O-matics if you know what your doing. The problems arise when the rebuilders tear them apart and pay no attention to the order of the thrust washers. Just a different design, no better or worse.
Jerry Kurtz

JoeHall
03-05-2017, 07:39 PM
I must be selling my rebuilt DG transmissions to cheap. We get $1000 for the 200's and $1200 for the 250M's. Guess I should rethink my prices as we do them all the time at those prices. There is nothing wrong with the DG transmissions if you know what you are doing when rebuilding them. They are actually easier to rebuild then the Flight-O-matics if you know what your doing. The problems arise when the rebuilders tear them apart and pay no attention to the order of the thrust washers. Just a different design, no better or worse.
Jerry Kurtz
Well that sure is confidence inspiring! Sounds like the DG is 1950s technology, and fairly simple to rebuild, nothing more nor less. I found the same to be true with the one Ultramatic I rebuilt in the late 1980s. Everyone talked about the complications. Not so, but it was also nice to be blessed with a local Packard guru who'd been rebuilding Ultras for decades.
Thanks again :)

6hk71400
03-06-2017, 12:02 AM
Here is one that just popped on Phoenix Craigslist:

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/6031146285.html

Far better car than I have now and I have been collecting pieces parts for two years.

Just got back from Montana and figure shipping would be around $1,000. Still not a bad start but be patient if you do get it to take inventory and take your time to get parts you need. It does have the tach drive on the distributor still. That in itself could be a 200-300 dollar item

Good Luck
Bob Miles
Tucson AZ

Hallabutt
03-06-2017, 03:48 PM
Jerry Kurtz

Thanks Jerry for restoring some reason to this DG narrative.-Bill

GrumpyOne
03-07-2017, 12:38 PM
Jerry Kurtz

Where are you located?

55coupe
03-09-2017, 02:51 PM
Just saw this one its not mine or any were close to me. interior is not stock but looks ok. Happy hunting for sale
1955Studebakern/a17000craigslist3/8 - 22:21Boise, ID (https://cargraph.com/boise/studebaker)Studebaker Speedster (http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/6035977160.html)

ddub
03-10-2017, 12:38 AM
Here's the link:

https://boise.craigslist.org/cto/6035977160.html

55coupe
03-13-2017, 01:17 PM
Here's one in Phoenix not mine just saw the add.

$3500https://images.craigslist.org/00R0R_fw2NmZ2iF2g_300x300.jpg

(https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/6031146285.html)favorite this postMar 5 1955 Studebaker President Speedster (https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/6031146285.html)$3500 (N. Phoenix) hide this posting

Jeneane
03-14-2017, 12:14 PM
Thanks everyone but had some stuff come up and won't be buying a speedster anytime soon:(
im also going to have to sell my President State Coupe that I just purchased:eek::QQ:

KarlCooper
03-16-2017, 06:19 PM
Thanks everyone but had some stuff come up and won't be buying a speedster anytime soon:(
im also going to have to sell my President State Coupe that I just purchased:eek::QQ:

Hello Jeneane,

Really sorry to hear that you're going to be selling your President State coupe, I hope everything is alright.

I wanted to find out if you had any potential buyers for your coupe? I'm new to this forum but I have been looking on the market for a president state for a while now. I just wanted to see what price ranges you were thinking of.

StudeRich
03-16-2017, 07:57 PM
Hi Karl, welcome to the SDC and to the SDC forum! :)

Here is the link to Jen's Car for sale:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?99861-1955-Studebaker-President-State-Coupe-for-sale&p=1044194#post1044194

rkapteyn
03-17-2017, 06:02 AM
If the Speedster you consider hasn't been driven in a while, there's a very good chance it was parked because of its automatic transmission.....Beware the 'DG' (Detroit Gear) automatic transmission!!!!...If you purchase a President Speedster with a bad one, figure at least 4-5 thousand to have it fixed properly. :ohmy:

The '55 President Speedsters would possibly be the MOST collectible of all the 50's Studebakers but for two things: ......they're 6 volt electrical system, (last year for that), and that darn 'DG' automatic transmission!

I never would have purchased 'The Doctor's Car' if it weren't a standard w/overdrive job! :!:
Ed
Please quit your bull!

KarlCooper
03-17-2017, 02:07 PM
Hi Karl, welcome to the SDC and to the SDC forum! :)

Here is the link to Jen's Car for sale:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?99861-1955-Studebaker-President-State-Coupe-for-sale&p=1044194#post1044194 Solid thanks for the heads up Rich! Are there any other threads on here for members who are listing cars? Sorry if this is a newbie question, but a friend of mine and I were looking to check out some other potential studebaker sales (my personal favorite is the president state) and invest in some, while also trying to learn as much about the cars and their rich history as we can. Any links to other helpful threads will be greatly appreciated