Looking to buy 1955 Studebaker President Speedster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to buy 1955 Studebaker President Speedster

Anyone know of any 55 Studebaker President speedsters for sale?
    Thanks,
    Jen

There's been one on the Portland craigslist for a couple of years. It would take a lot of dedication, time and money to bring it back.
    American iron, real old school
    With two tone paint, it sure is cool

Its got 8 cylinders and uses them all
    With an overdrive that just won't stall

With a 4 barrel carb and dual exhausts
    With 4.23 gears it can really get lost

Its got safety belts and I ain't scared
    The brakes are good and the tires are fair.

Tried to sell her, but got no taker
    I"ll just keep driving my Studebaker

Comment

Barry Hackney has one on his site..www.studebakersite.com

Comment

I already inquired about that on... $60,000. Is more then I want to pay.

Comment

Here is one that needs some work for $7900 - not mine

Comment

I think $7900 is high for a non running speedster needing complete restoration. I would rate this car as a #5 being worth around $3000.
            78 Avanti RQB 2792
            64 Avanti R1 R5408
            63 Avanti R1 R4551
            63 Avanti R1 R2281
            62 GT Hawk V15949
            56 GH 6032504
            56 GH 6032588
            55 Speedster 7160047
            55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Jen,

Are you planning to add a Speedster, or trade it for your new purchase? When looking for the right Speedster patience is a real virtue. There weren't many built but there are a surprising number that have survived, and that have been restored. Just pick your color choice and sit back and wait. These are not cheap to restore so find the best one that you can find. Finding a nicely restored car can be a real bargain. You should be able to find a decent car starting around twenty thousand dollars with a concourse quality starting about twenty five thousand>. There was a pretty nice one over on the Olympic Peninsula recently. Look through some of the posts on this site, over the last six months or so, and I think you might find something about it. I've had a goodly number over the last fifty years. The one that I restored during the seventies was my second car and it's restoration was a labor of love, but it's not something that I would want to do over! Let me know if I can help.-Bill

Comment

Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
                I think $7900 is high for a non running speedster needing complete restoration. I would rate this car as a #5 being worth around $3000.
                I don't think it's that bad. I'd pay $3000 any day for this example. It looks like it needs less rechroming than a lot of them, which would save a considerable expense. Looks like a fair amount of the interior is keepable, too.
                Last edited by handworn; 03-02-2017, 02:30 PM.

Comment

If the Speedster you consider hasn't been driven in a while, there's a very good chance it was parked because of its automatic transmission.....Beware the 'DG' (Detroit Gear) automatic transmission!!!!...If you purchase a President Speedster with a bad one, figure at least 4-5 thousand to have it fixed properly.

The '55 President Speedsters would possibly be the MOST collectible of all the 50's Studebakers but for two things: ......they're 6 volt electrical system, (last year for that), and that darn 'DG' automatic transmission!

I never would have purchased 'The Doctor's Car' if it weren't a standard w/overdrive job!

Comment

Here we go again! Fact is that chances of finding a 1955 Speedster with an OD is virtually nil. So do you think those of us who have Speedsters and properly operating DG 250's should do some sort of swap. Of your 350, or so, survivors that are on the road today, probably 90% of them are using their original transmissions. I have been into 55's far longer then you have and probably have had more of them then you have had. Like any car, the condition of the trans is something that is important to evaluate. If it's good it's, it's good if it's bad you don't buy the car. Until now I have tried to keep my mouth shut, but your constant railing on the subject has become obsessive.

Comment

For several years Studebakers were my daily drivers, and I liked them more than any other daily driver. My 1999 Olds 88 is nice for the A/C and 33 MPG highway, but otherwise I'd rather drive my 6 volt Studebaker, except during the 6 month road salt season. I've always gotten 12 to 14 years out of my 6 volt batteries, and they never failed to start the car or give me any problems. The 12 volt batteries normally are shot after 5 to 6 years. I like my 6 volt cars with generators.

Comment

If your 6 volt Studebaker doesn't crank easily, you have a problem (or 3) and it isn't that the car is using 6 volt electrics.
                        Last edited by mbstude; 03-16-2017, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Sounds like the Speedster's DG is on par with the 56J's Ultramatic, and both even have a lock up TC, at least I have heard the DG has it too. Back in the day, many 56Js were parked with under 50,000 miles, due to failure of the Ultra. Even when working optimally, Ultras are finicky, and sort of have a mind of their own. I once drove a 56J about 20,000 miles after rebuilding the Ultramatic, but it was just not as much fun as a T85/OD. If I ever owned a Speedster (not likely), it would probably get a T85 swapped into it, with column shift. And yes, it would be a DRIVER

Comment

SN-60,

The 1955 President State Sedan that I am restoring is 6 volt and has a DG-250-M. Hearing your opinion about these two items over and over and over again is really getting old!! All of us on the forum have our opinion on various items but I do not know anyone who restates them over and over and over again like you do. It’s getting pretty old.

Charlie D.

Comment

My 55 Conestoga has a 6 volt and a DG transmission and i have never had a problem the 15 years i've owned it, and yes it has been driven twice to Branson and twice to middle Kansas to Studebaker meets. it is not a restored car just a very nice original. Even original paint.
                              101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Working...
                              X