PDA

View Full Version : 170 OHV Six- Net Power and Torque

FourbyFounder
02-28-2017, 01:22 PM
Has anyone seen the NET power and torque ratings for the 170 OHV six... as used in the Zip Van? I know the GROSS (aka advertised) rating was 110 hp and 156 lbs-ft. The NET rating is usually about 10-15 percent less due to the test being run with the engine configured as installed... meaning a full exhaust system, air filter, fan and generator and as-installed tuning. The GROSS rating was usually taken with an open exhaust, no air filter, no ancillary drives and tuning optimized. NET was often given in the truck world, but not for cars. NET is also a lot more "real world" and the often very optimistic GROSS ratings (remember the horsepower race) is what led to new rating standards for 1972 using a newly formulated SAE NET test.

Anyway, I hoped that since the 170 was offered in some light trucks, there may have been a NET rating for it?

Kurt
02-28-2017, 09:27 PM
I think it was 92. It seems that I have seen that number on a Champ truck spec plate.

StudeRich
03-01-2017, 01:04 AM
Whatever the HP is, it was enough to propel a '61 to '64 Lark or Lark Type, 2 Door Sedan WITH Overdrive reasonably well, with good performance and MPG, but much more weight than that such as a Loaded Truck, not so much.

The "Advertised" H.P. was 112 at 4500 RPM.
They have very good Mid-RPM Power due to the Long, Ram Induction Intake, Large Valves and Semi-Hemi Combustion Chambers. :cool: