50 Champion floor coverings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 Champion floor coverings

Dad is trying to decide between carpet and the rubber mat on the floor of his Starlight. I see where SI sells a rubber mat for the front but nothing for the back. What did these cars have on the rear floor when they had a mat up front?
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Rubber mats have killed more cars than any other reason in my opinion.....moisture getting under them & rotting the floors out. I know this doesn't answer your question, but I'd never put a rubber mat back into a car that I spent time fixing up.
    Mike Sal

Comment

My 52 Champion had a rubber mat in front and a very short fiber carpet in the rear.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sal View Post
        Rubber mats have killed more cars than any other reason in my opinion.....moisture getting under them & rotting the floors out. I know this doesn't answer your question, but I'd never put a rubber mat back into a car that I spent time fixing up.
        Mike Sal
        I agree with that, 100%. No more rubber mats for me.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I saw an indoor outdoor carpet at Home Depot that seemed a PERFECT match for the rear carpet in my 50 Champion, less than $20.

Comment

I saw an indoor outdoor carpet at Home Depot that seemed a PERFECT match for the rear carpet in my 50 Champion, less than $20. I work there so if you need the SKU, let me know.

Comment

As I understand it, a fitted rubber mat in front and carpet in back was standard on Champions, but front carpet was an option.
              John
              1950 Champion
              W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
              Holdrege NE

Comment

I certainly hope Dad decides to go with carpet all around, but since it is his car, I will build it the way he wants it. Seems strange that Studebaker would do carpet in the back and a rubber mat up front, but a lot of things they did back then seem strange to me.

tim333, please send that SKU number. I would be interested to see what the rear carpet looked like when paired with a black rubber mat up front.
                Wayne

sigpic

Comment

I'll send it when I go to work this evening.

Comment

My 1947 Champion has a rubber mat in front and carpet in the rear.

My father bought a 1952 Dodge Mayfair 2-door hardtop early in 1953. It had been the dealer's private car, and "had everything". When the car was about 8 years old, the left rocker panel and a chunk of the floor FELL OFF from rust due to moisture under the carpet. Since then, I have always been a fan of rubber floor mats.

On my Champion, I painted the floor with Trem-Clad last year --- it's out of sight under the mat. Also, I have a home-made gasket under the master cylinder access cover, and the cover bolted down, so moisture does not enter there on rainy days.
                    Bill Jarvis

Comment

Originally posted by wdills View Post
                      tim333, please send that SKU number. I would be interested to see what the rear carpet looked like when paired with a black rubber mat up front.
                      I guess I should add that my rubber mat was a gray/brown that coordinated with the dash and metal trim. A black rubber would have looked rather severe with the other colors.
                      "In the heart of Arkansas."
                      Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                      1952 2R pickup

Comment

SKU's: Tan 702 930, Gray 779 514
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	20170228_195039.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1712699

Comment

Thanks Tim. The lighter color would blend pretty good with the rest of the interior colors.
                          Wayne

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X