PDA

View Full Version : Electrical: new ignition switch

bhapner
02-27-2017, 01:39 PM
I am just about to install a new ignition switch in my '63 Hawk. I want to keep the same lock cylinder. It looks like all you have to do to remove it is push in the little latch pin and slide the cylinder out. Are there any tricks that I should be aware of? Sure don't want to ruin the cylinder, or get it part and then not be able to put it back together.

bhap

Studebakercenteroforegon
02-27-2017, 02:40 PM
Turn the key to the far right clockwise position - this allows the pin to be depressed.

karterfred88
02-27-2017, 06:10 PM
I am just about to install a new ignition switch in my '63 Hawk. I want to keep the same lock cylinder. It looks like all you have to do to remove it is push in the little latch pin and slide the cylinder out. Are there any tricks that I should be aware of? Sure don't want to ruin the cylinder, or get it part and then not be able to put it back together.

bhap
As long as you insert the key provided in the lock first, rotate, then press the pin, the tumbler will come out of the switch on the key. Take your old one out of the old switch the same way, slide it in holding the pin, let go extract key.
The instructions should be on the little slip of paper, no rocket science needed. Much easier to rekey a stolen car in the old days!!

bhapner
02-27-2017, 10:52 PM
Thanks to both of you.
Bhapner