PDA

View Full Version : Steering box needed

bobgould
02-27-2017, 04:20 AM
Looking for a good ross steering box or a saginaw replacement for my 1956 hawk Thank you, Bob

64V-K7
02-27-2017, 08:31 AM
For 56' Ross was a manual box only, but can be fitted with a later Bendix (hang-on) type (59 & later) The 56' Saginaw was the available Power Steering system, many parts specific to either sedan or coupe, etc. It's a large heavy system. The York Swapmeet is coming up in March. You could probably find either one there..

GrumpyOne
02-27-2017, 10:11 PM
Try and find a Saginaw box off of a '56 Champion c/k and it will be a big improvement plus it can be rebuilt while the Ross cannot...

Bo Markham
02-28-2017, 06:30 AM
Try and find a Saginaw box off of a '56 Champion c/k and it will be a big improvement plus it can be rebuilt while the Ross cannot...

Why can't the Ross unit be rebuilt?

sweetolbob
02-28-2017, 07:52 AM
I believe I still have the Ross box off a 58 4-door. I'll look for it if is the same as the 56 and add a picture. Bob

GrumpyOne
02-28-2017, 10:10 PM
Why can't the Ross unit be rebuilt?

I take it that if Lars cannot, no one can. All '56 Power Hawks are afflicted with this issue. Don't ask me how I know...

4jc8z
03-01-2017, 11:36 AM

Some 1955 & 56 V8 C&K cars built in Canada had the 53-56 'champion style' saginaw manual steering gearboxes....so yes, the factory used them on some V8 cars.

Bo Markham
03-02-2017, 08:23 AM
I take it that if Lars cannot, no one can. All '56 Power Hawks are afflicted with this issue. Don't ask me how I know...

Despite the assumption, Lars is definitely not the end all to rebuilding, or restoring gear boxes. We've been doing this sort of work, continuously since 1939.

64studeavanti
03-02-2017, 09:34 AM
I may be wrong, but I believe that the only problem with Ross boxes is limited to Avantis. Basically the problem is lack of parts availability. If there is a source for the internal parts such as the cam (worm gear) and follower arm i would be eternally grateful if this information could be shared.

GrumpyOne
03-03-2017, 12:31 AM
I may be wrong, but I believe that the only problem with Ross boxes is limited to Avantis. Basically the problem is lack of parts availability. If there is a source for the internal parts such as the cam (worm gear) and follower arm i would be eternally grateful if this information could be shared.

Lares rebuilds the Champ boxes which are essentially the same as the Avanti boxes (through Rock Auto).

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/studebaker,1963,8e7,4.2l+259cid+v8,1491564,steering,steering+gear,7416

Bo Markham
03-04-2017, 05:44 PM

Drop me a note, I may be able to help you with an Avanti gear box.

52 Ragtop
03-04-2017, 06:50 PM
IF it's a matter of a particular part that needs re-manufactured, I deal with a couple of excellent machine shops, and Dan is pretty willing to make just about "anything"

Jim

doofus
03-05-2017, 07:36 AM
LOTS OF ROSS BOXES IN FORK TRUCKS, do some home work and you may find what you need. Luck Doofus

64studeavanti
03-05-2017, 01:43 PM
Bo, I have plenty of used. Do you have any NOS?

Doofus
I believe later Avantis did use fork lift boxes - so the rumor goes. In any case, the one on my 78 is quite different from the Stude ones.

Bo Markham
03-05-2017, 05:18 PM
Bo, I have plenty of used. Do you have any NOS?

Doofus
I believe later Avantis did use fork lift boxes - so the rumor goes. In any case, the one on my 78 is quite different from the Stude ones.

Yes to NOS. Fork lift boxes were used on certain Avanti II's.

StudeRich
03-05-2017, 05:33 PM
I believe I still have the Ross box off a 58 4-door. I'll look for it if is the same as the 56 and add a picture. Bob

It's going to need to be a Saginaw from a C or K, not Sedan or Wagon.
A 1956, would be a Flight Hawk 6 as I assume GrumpyOne has.

StudeRich
03-05-2017, 05:37 PM
Despite the assumption, Lars is definitely not the end all to rebuilding, or restoring gear boxes. We've been doing this sort of work, continuously since 1939.

If "we've" includes YOU, you must be 97 Yrs. Old! :ohmy:

Bo Markham
03-06-2017, 06:16 AM
If "we've" includes YOU, you must be 97 Yrs. Old! :ohmy:

Mr. Gahlbeck,

Some times I feel about 97 years old, but I'm not quite there, yet. I'm merely the current generation keeping it moving forward. I usually keep a dozen, or so NOS and remanufactured boxes on hand. When required, we do machine work, too. Some times, you just have to bite the bullet and make a part.

How about you, young man of 88 yourself?

bobgould
03-08-2017, 03:21 AM
Mr. Gahlbeck,

Some times I feel about 97 years old, but I'm not quite there, yet. I'm merely the current generation keeping it moving forward. I usually keep a dozen, or so NOS and remanufactured boxes on hand. When required, we do machine work, too. Some times, you just have to bite the bullet and make a part.

:):)Lares said they could rebuild my box if they could find a good worm shaft not to readily available! It could take some time till they could find one

- - - Updated - - -

Mr. Gahlbeck,

:):)Lares said they could rebuild my box if they could find a good worm shaft not to readily available! It could take some time till they could find one.

Bo Markham
03-08-2017, 08:02 AM
:):)Lares said they could rebuild my box if they could find a good worm shaft not to readily available! It could take some time till they could find one

- - - Updated - - -

:):)Lares said they could rebuild my box if they could find a good worm shaft not to readily available! It could take some time till they could find one.

Yes sir, I suspect they could. If/when they could find the necessary parts. Not having inspected your box, can't really tell what parts actually need replacing? The only thing I can tell you is it needs to be looked at, or replaced with an NOS, or rebuilt one. You might even try Myers?

bobgould
03-11-2017, 06:09 PM
Can you rebuild the worm shaft or have parts for one?

bobgould
04-07-2017, 03:36 PM
If you can rebuild my box which has a worn worm at the center position please send me an address and I will ship it to you. Thanks Bob. 1956 Power Hawk

mbstude
04-07-2017, 05:00 PM
In inventorying parts this week, I found an NOS steering shaft and worm gear (with cups and bearings) for a 53-56 C/K with the Ross TL box. If your Power Hawk has a type TL box, you'd be set.

http://mystudebaker.com/

joegood
04-07-2017, 06:42 PM
I just replaced my Ross box in my 56 hawk with a saginaw from s 63 lark. It took some work and a steering U joint but the end result was well worth it.

WCP
04-07-2017, 09:13 PM
I have a Ross box removed from a '62 Hawk many years back. The Hawk had approx. 75000 miles and the car had power steering, so the box has little to no wear. If interested, PM me. Price $50us plus shipping.