Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is any part of this M15-28 (C9 cab) worth saving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is any part of this M15-28 (C9 cab) worth saving?

Greetings, readers.
    I'm just back from viewing this M15 truck at a fellow's Hauling Company yard, and am wondering what the consensus might be from other SDC truck folks about the savability/usability of any of the components of this truck. I only even went to look at it because I recently bought (but haven't taken delivery of) a 1948 M16-52 cab-and-chassis unit (that's still in Wisconsin) and thought there might be some things worth having/getting/saving as spares. I'm assuming, since it's a C9 swing-out-windshield truck cab, that it's a 1945 model.
    As for its condition: there is no front end sheet metal beyond the firewall; the cab floors are rusted away; the outer door skins have rusted away from the doorframes at the bottoms; the cab corners are rusted out; the dashboard top is pretty well perforated with rust; the dashboard face is pretty rust-pitted; the instrument panel looks complete (odometer is at 83,000+); there IS an engine and transmission still in place, as well as a rear. The perimeter of the flatbed frame is pretty rusty in places although it doesn't look to have separated anywhere; of course the wooden bed part is pretty rotted away. The tilt-out windshield hardware is all present, but truck's overall rustiness kept me from trying to see if it has any chance of actually moving while staying intact.
    In short, this truck is a good 15 years or so past being a reasonable candidate for restoration, but before the guy just scraps it for its weight in steel I thought I should at least take a look and then ask some experienced club folks for opinions. Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Mike Auldridge
    Gaithersburg, MD
    301-651-4346
    SDC Life Member since 1976
    1948 M16
    1961 Lark VIII convertible (with minor mods)

With only 4000 civilian 1945 M15 C-9 units being built, they are rare. I will not comment on whether it should be scrapped, but if that is its fate the unique C-9 items should be saved. They are the top mounted wipers, swing out windshield, steel inner door panels and metal glove box along with the body and serial number plates.

Comment

Mike, I sent you a private message.

Comment

Guido, I thought the same thing about those unique parts, and I'll try my best to get what I can. That aside, my quandary was: do I get the whole thing, get it put into my side yard's driveway for potential spare stuff in anticipation of the delivery of my M16 (meanwhile pissing off my neighbors), or is that a waste of time, space, and money if there's nothing really usable. It would be a LOT easier a decision if there was front end sheetmetal, or if the cab itself was more intact.
        Mike Auldridge
        Gaithersburg, MD
        301-651-4346
        1948 M16

Comment

I've read about calls for the big 6 engine, so that would be nice to save.

Comment

For TWChamp, it's my understanding that the 1945 M15s had the smaller 170 c.i. motor instead of the Big 6 226 c.i. motor. I just checked this via Skip Lackie's spreadsheet at http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...rtruckdata.asp. My thought was at first the same thing: save the motor and trans as a spare for my (soon to arrive) 1948 M16, but the motors aren't the same. I don't know if the transmissions are the same; perhaps Skip can speak to that, if he reads this post thread at all.
            Mike Auldridge
            Gaithersburg, MD
            301-651-4346
            1948 M16

Comment

Yes, the 1945 M15 only came with the Champion engine. I'm not very good at IDing the Champion engines from the left side, but that LOOKS like a Champion 6. Of course, someone may have dropped a 226.246 in there, but that supposedly requires indenting the fire wall.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

From my onsite exam, it doesn't look like the firewall has been modified at all. In fact, the firewall is probably the best-looking part of the truck !
                Here's a photo of the engine's right (passenger's) side, if that helps to ID it, 170 vs 226.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0726.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	1712679
                Mike Auldridge
                Gaithersburg, MD
                301-651-4346
                1948 M16

Comment

Yes, you are correct. That is the Champion engine.

Comment

"Saving" that engine would mean it'd lay around in your garage until you get tired of tripping over it and scrap it. Old Champion engines aren't in high demand.

Any cab parts (even stuff that will fit all other M trucks) that are good are worth getting, but I wouldn't bother with anything on the chassis.

Comment

I'm with Gary and Matt. First, is there anything there that you can use for your truck? Second, would it be easy and/or cheap to save the C9-unique items for others? If the answer to either is yes, then save it/them. Otherwise walk away.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks to all. I'm with Skip, too, who is with Gary and Matt
                        Since verifying that the motor is a 170 vs a 226, there's no reason for me to get it and likely keep tripping over it. I think the only value I can find is in the C9-specific items; I can't see anything else on/in the cab that's not too consumed by rust to be usable. Like I said to the fellow: "Maybe 15 years or more ago...." The yard owner seems open to my buying parts, possibly just by the pound, or by whatever he thinks what I want is worth; and likely, what I want won't subtract too much from his scrap-value poundage.

That being said, if the C9 windshield set-up seems too fragile to try to remove on site, is it too sacrilegious to have the top of the cab cut off so that I can bring just that section home and work on freeing everything up? Maybe also having the door hinges cut off, to work on the C9-specific door panels?
                        Mike Auldridge
                        Gaithersburg, MD
                        301-651-4346
                        1948 M16

Comment

If the choice is between: (1) you butchering the cab to save some rare parts, or (2) the owner scrapping the whole truck; then no one is gonna blame you for doing the former. Get some extra Sawzall blades or have him do it if he has a torch. The hinges are tough.
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

Mike,

I have a spare 226 block out of an M16 that I got from Bill Tilghman. I also may have a transmission as well.

Gary

Comment

Gary, I don't know at this point if I'd need a spare 226 block or a transmission for an M16 since my truck hasn't been delivered to me yet; supposedly "all is well as it sits".
                              Still, it would/could be an insurance policy more or less. Perhaps you would P/M me with a potential price for both, as well as, if we're agreeable and if you're coming to the York meeting, could they travel with you? Thanks, and thanks to all the commenters so far !
                              Mike Auldridge
                              Gaithersburg, MD
                              301-651-4346
                              1948 M16

Comment

Working...
                              X