PDA

View Full Version : Can you identify this tach?

52-fan
02-26-2017, 02:59 PM
Joe bought this tachometer at the Decatur, Texas swap meet. He was told that it was for a Studebaker, but all of the pictures we found don't show an 8,000 RPM tach. Did any Studebakers use this tach?

StudeRich
02-26-2017, 03:01 PM
1955 Speedster 6 Volt. Notice there is no "SW" on the face, not aftermarket, but it IS Stewart Warner made for Studebaker.

62413 The hard part will be finding the 6 Volt distributor Drive for it, unless it's for looks only.

This picture is a bit scary, 1/2 Tank of Fuel, 190 Degrees, but 0 Oil Pressure & RPM's!
So either Ign. is in ACC or in "ON" and the Engine is dead. :rolleyes:

Bye! gotta get back to the "500"!

acolds
02-26-2017, 03:50 PM
Get it converted with new guts to operate like newer tachs eliminates the drive between cap and distributor body solves lots of problems

bezhawk
02-26-2017, 04:07 PM
The mechanical tach drive on the distributor is not 6 or twelve volt. It is simply a brush and commutator switch. It will work with any voltage. It is the tach HEAD that is voltage sensitive.

azstude
02-26-2017, 04:58 PM
Get it converted with new guts to operate like newer tachs eliminates the drive between cap and distributor body solves lots of problems

Where can you get it converted?

52-fan
02-26-2017, 06:21 PM
1955 Speedster 6 Volt. Notice there is no "SW" on the face, not aftermarket, but it IS Stewart Warner made for Studebaker.

62413 The hard part will be finding the 6 Volt distributor Drive for it, unless it's for looks only.

Thanks for the info. He will probably take it to South Bend to see if it finds a new owner unless someone talks him out of it before then.

52-fan
02-26-2017, 06:28 PM
I knew Joe got another part at the swap meet. This trim piece is apparently NOS and really nice. :)

Lynn
02-26-2017, 07:19 PM

This picture is a bit scary, 1/2 Tank of Fuel, 190 Degrees, but 0 Oil Pressure & RPM's!
So either Ign. is in ACC or in "ON" and the Engine is dead. :rolleyes:

Bye! gotta get back to the "500"!

Actually, Rich, that is almost exactly what my truck gauges read.... right now with the key off. When I turn off the key, the gas gauge stays wherever it was last. My oil p gauge is mechanical, so reads "0" with the engine off. The temp gauge is mechanical, so works regardless of whether the vehicle is on. There isn't even a wire going to it. I have a 180 degree t-stat, but the mechanical temp gauge is in the very back of one of the cylinder heads and reads 5 to 10 degrees hotter than the front sender would. I happened to be at about 1/2 a tank as we drove the truck almost 100 miles today. I also have a tach that is currently on zero as the engine is off.

warrlaw1
02-27-2017, 09:46 AM
Rich, I lucked onto a period correct Stewart Warner tach for my 55. It runs off a wire to the coil. Meets with the Pure Stock rules and all I had to do was reverse the polarity to positive ground. So glad to hear the original Stude unit was also Stewart Warner.

StudeRich
02-27-2017, 12:15 PM
Howard, (52-fan) That's a sweet looking 1954 R Series Hood side Emblem!
I always liked those Oval ones much better than the same Block Letters without the background used on ''49-'53.

The same Emblem was used on '55's with a Red Background instead of Silver, even MORE impressive! :!:

52-fan
02-27-2017, 12:30 PM
Howard, (52-fan) That's a sweet looking 1954 R Series Hood side Emblem!
I always liked those Oval ones much better than the same Block Letters without the background used on ''49-'53.

The same Emblem was used on '55's with a Red Background instead of Silver, even MORE impressive! :!:

Yes, Joe has trouble passing up truck parts. This one is unbelievably nice. He doesn't have a 54 so the emblem will probably go to South Bend in May.