PDA

View Full Version : Some goodies from the Decatur, Texas swap meet.

52-fan
02-26-2017, 02:54 PM
After asking opinions about the swap meet held in Decatur, Texas and getting positive feedback, Joe and I attended. We arrived in Decatur on Thursday afternoon and most of the people at our motel were there for the swap meet. We even saw a few from Arkansas.
There was a wide variety of items for sale and even some Studebaker parts. The vendor that got most of our attention was a young man from the area that has purchased some of the property that had belonged to John Brooks. He is still gathering cars off the property and organizing parts,but he had a few with him at this meet. I was able to buy a few things from him at very reasonable prices for a 52 model. Joe bought a tach.
We met Barry Hackney on the grounds and while we were talking to Barry and a friend, SDC member John Mitchell from Colorado came up and introduced himself and we had a good visit.
On the down side of the trip....We left Saturday mid morning expecting an 8 hour trip back to Searcy. Unfortunately, the water pump on Joe's truck decided to interfere. We realized we were losing the pump while in traffic passing through Denton, Texas just before noon. We replaced the water pump in the parking lot of the O'Reilly store and it took almost until 5PM to get it all done. We arrived home shortly after midnight on Sunday morning.

bison
02-27-2017, 12:34 AM
Hi Howard
looks like you guys did pretty good in parts buying department and glad you made it back safely :)
for personal information only, what year is Joe's Dodge Ram , and please tell me it is not that much of a chore to change the water pump , i fear mine is only a matter of time :)

8E45E
02-27-2017, 06:52 AM
Nice finds!!

Gotta like it when you go all that way, and not come home empty-handed of Studebaker parts. Sorry to hear about the water pump problem on the Dodge, but at least it appears the weather was pleasant enough to do the change.

Craig

jclary
02-27-2017, 07:28 AM
Hi Howard
looks like you guys did pretty good in parts buying department and glad you made it back safely :)
for personal information only, what year is Joe's Dodge Ram , and please tell me it is not that much of a chore to change the water pump , i fear mine is only a matter of time :)

Well...I am certainly happy that you & Joe had such a great fellowship experience and made it back home safely.:) While my upcoming attempt to make the York swap meet is still not certain, you have given me more to ponder.:confused::( My 2002 Dodge Ram (4.7 V8) has over 170,000 miles on its original water pump. Already, I have been considering a new set of tires, and now you have shaken my confidence regarding the water pump????:confused: So, what was the mileage on Joe's truck? What tools are essential for the job & tips to make it as painless as possible?

For me, it is going to be approximately 1,200 mile round trip.

john Mitchell
02-27-2017, 08:46 AM
Ditto, on finding some Stude people and having a nice visit. I talked to Barry on the phone and bought from him before so it was nice to put a face on him.
9and 1/2 hour drive home for us with no parts but worth it anyway.

Michidan
02-27-2017, 09:15 AM
Those backup lights are an especially good score.

52-fan
02-27-2017, 11:01 AM
Well...I am certainly happy that you & Joe had such a great fellowship experience and made it back home safely.:) While my upcoming attempt to make the York swap meet is still not certain, you have given me more to ponder.:confused::( My 2002 Dodge Ram (4.7 V8) has over 170,000 miles on its original water pump. Already, I have been considering a new set of tires, and now you have shaken my confidence regarding the water pump????:confused: So, what was the mileage on Joe's truck? What tools are essential for the job & tips to make it as painless as possible?

For me, it is going to be approximately 1,200 mile round trip.

Our round trip, not counting in town driving was a little under 850 miles. Joe's truck is a 1998 model with the 360 (5.9) engine and has 102,000 miles on it. The job was not as bad as I feared even though we didn't have all our tools. Of course, the air conditioner compressor and alternator had to be moved to the side, but we didn't have to do anything to the radiator shroud. The hardest part of the job is removing the fan clutch from the water pump which requires a special tool to hold the water pump pulley while turning a large hex fastener. O'Rielly had both of the tools for the job as loaner tools.
Other than getting the clutch and pump apart, the biggest problem was the bypass hose we decided to replace while we were in there. The engine end of the hose was not quite straight and had a leak so we got to remove everything but the pump again to do it right. :( On the plus side we did the second time much faster. :)

52-fan
02-27-2017, 11:06 AM
Those backup lights are an especially good score.

I will probably just clean them up and resell them to help finance other things for my Commander. I really didn't need the lights, but I only bought things I could use if I wished. The seller had a number of nice pieces at good prices and Joe got his business card. We were discussing a possible trip to his place later to look for more parts.
I wish I had taken some pictures. We noticed Saturday that the Hawk grilles and several other things were gone. Texas Rebel may have bought some of those.

52-fan
02-27-2017, 11:50 AM
I just remembered a small detail concerning Joe's Dodge. When we came of of the place where we ate supper Thursday night, someone with a high mounted spare had backed in to the tailgate and door of the camper shell. Of course, no one had reported anything. We left our information with the manager of the restaurant, but don't expect any help. :(

StudeRich
02-27-2017, 07:40 PM
I think the '51-'52 Clock is the Biggest score! :!: You do not find 65 Yr. old fair to good condition, seldom ordered Accessories everyday!

52-fan
02-27-2017, 08:27 PM
I think the '51-'52 Clock is the Biggest score! :!: You do not find 65 Yr. old fair to good condition, seldom ordered Accessories everyday!

I didn't expect to see a clock. The day before I had seen a clock hole filler piece and when I picked the clock out of his box I thought it was the filler. I have every hope that the clock will clean up nicely and run. The face actually looks better than my gauge clusters did before I disassembled and cleaned them.

TX Rebel
02-27-2017, 09:41 PM
I never found the vendor you bought from, but had a great time buying Studebaker parts, tools, & other interesting items on Friday. I then drove home Fri night And bought a '56 President Saturday morning before the Avanti club meeting. I had some good pre-arranged sales, made some good purchases & did not see a drop of rain, so it was great trip. I rarely miss the Decatur meet even though it is a 5 hr. drive from Houston.
I will be very busy this week preparing for York & my first night will be spent in Arkansas.

52-fan
02-28-2017, 10:33 AM
I never found the vendor you bought from, but had a great time buying Studebaker parts, tools, & other interesting items on Friday. I then drove home Fri night And bought a '56 President Saturday morning before the Avanti club meeting. I had some good pre-arranged sales, made some good purchases & did not see a drop of rain, so it was great trip. I rarely miss the Decatur meet even though it is a 5 hr. drive from Houston.
I will be very busy this week preparing for York & my first night will be spent in Arkansas.

Joe and I had to search a while to find the vendor when we went back Saturday morning. The trailer did not look just like I remembered and when you have walked aisle after aisle the locations get mixed. We were able to get within a few rows and then just had to search. I would be curious to know how many miles we walked Friday since we were there early and stayed until after 4:30 PM. We only sat down at lunch for maybe 30 minutes.
BTW Did you buy the Hawk grille from the man in the building who had the small Studebaker Authorized Service sign? It was gone Saturday morning.
I included some more pictures including the only two Studebakers we saw. The yellow truck was in a parking lot across the highway.