glass thickness '39 commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: glass thickness '39 commander

hi folks, I was about to order the glass kit for the '39 commander, but now I am confused on the thickness. VG says they supply it in 1/4" thick.
    The problem is all the side glass....mine measures .210". Would 1/4" be too thick for :
    both front and rear vent window frames, the door window mounting channel at the bottom of the glass?? and even the "U" channel in the door frames? I will be using new glass setting tape and I wonder is it all will be too tight to fit?

The windshield measures .265" which I think 1/4" would work fine there. I have not removed the back glass yet but I imagine 1/4" would work fine there.

So what thickness are other early commander restorations using ?

Who is VG?
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Vintage Glass

Comment

Modern laminated auto glass is normally 7/32" which is .21875 ( Likely what yours in your car is). Although if Chinese supplied there are some variances. Are they supplying laminated or tempered glass? Glass setting tape is sold in thicknesses of 1/64" increments, so not too hard to make up differences. A little tougher when putting in a gasket, though.
        KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

thanks for the reply Kurtruk. After talking with them some more...they did come back and offer the "non standard" at .218 thick since I had thickness concerns. The 1/4" was tempered but not sure what the .218 was. Now as far as the setting tape is concerned, I suppose I will have to buy some and test the fit of the vent window, door window bottom channel, and the felt channel using the original glass. Who would have the different thicknesses? I suppose SI only sells one thickness?

Comment

Working...
          X