PDA

View Full Version : Taxi Police Car Ambulance School Bus and Fire Trucks

old fart
02-23-2017, 03:07 PM
Here is another question that needs chatting about . In the history of Studebaker , it was well known that they would make just about anything if there was a market out there for it . We know that as recently as 1966 there were Police cars made as well as taxi's . But when was the last School bus made and when was the last Ambulet made , or when was the last Fire truck made . I have seen Fire trucks in T.W. for sale as late as 2012 and Taxi's as late as 2014 . Ever wonder how many of each are still around today . I know of one Fire truck owned by Milaca but forgot what year . Is there any registries out there to cover any of these vehicles ?? If not is there anyone out there have the spirit in them to start one ?? Let's find out who is willing to get a registry going . I would love to hear the answer to any of the questions and maybe take a survey at the same time . OK GO it's your turn NOW

Old Fart Terry

HAWK64
02-23-2017, 04:12 PM
I previously wrote an article in TWs on Police Studebakers here in Australia & that we assembled over 350 units from 1961 till 1966. I plan to write a piece this year on Ambulances that we assembled during the sixties again for TWs.

Skip Lackie
02-23-2017, 04:21 PM
Studebaker did not build school buses per se -- there were/are a number of companies that specialize in taking a chassis/cowl unit and mounting a school bus body on it. For many years, Studebaker offered a long 212" wheel base specifically intended for school buses. They never sold very many and it disappeared and reappeared from the lineup several times. The last time it was in the catalog was for the 1962 7E40 models. Similarly, the company never built fire trucks -- just trucks that could be configured and customized for fire duty.

They did come a lot closer to providing a complete package for taxi companies and police departments, in the sense that they offered to install a wide variety of specialized components (lights, wiring, paint) for specific orders. Still, the customer was expected to finish and customize these vehicles for their unique needs.

Guido
02-23-2017, 04:29 PM
I own a 1946 M-16 fire truck and also had a 1949 2R17A fire truck that George O now owns. I may end up with a '47 as well. Frank Drumheller has a 1946 and used to keep a registry.

8E45E
02-23-2017, 05:07 PM
Info on Bender bodies here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?8405-Bender-bodied-Studebakers

Some fire trucks: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?2479-Studebaker-Fire-Truck-and-Dept-Pictures

Australian ambulances here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?20837-Wednesday-eye-candy&highlight=ambulance

Or an A1 'cowl only' : http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?59464-The-50-StudeBus-has-a-new-owner

Or an A2 'cowl with windshield': http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?94353-Studebaker-Woodies

Craig

old fart
02-23-2017, 05:15 PM
Hi Again Skip : I know what you mean I just can't find the name of the company that built bodies on Studebaker chassis and cowl units and I think they also did Fire trucks . We had a company in Winnipeg that built custom truck boxes in the same manner but when the old man passed away the boys took only a few years to go belly up . I always said old man Laurie turned over in his grave several times . The company started in 1902 . We do have a company called Fort Garry Industries that builds Fire Fighting equipment and they started in 1928 and have expanded 8 times and the last time they are now on 40 acres .

Guido . as far as I have been told Frank no longer does registries a fellow by the name of Dave does them now I don't know if this includes fire trucks or not . Frank or Dave haven't answered my emails yet will wait and see . I am considering doing a registry on Taxis, Police cars , Ambulances ( Ambulet's ) and School Buses and Fire Trucks if frank isn't doing them any more but that would have to wait until I can get this Registry managers List updated and by the looks of it will take some time . If you can get in touch with Frank and see if he is still doing the fire truck registry and then let me know at not4u@nlis.ca it would be of great help . Well guys who is up next for comments .

Old Fart Terry

garyash
02-23-2017, 05:48 PM
Now here is a coincidence: yesterday, I just happened to be in the Pioneer Village Museum near Toowoomba, Australia, and there was a 1964 Cruiser turned into an ambulance. It was nicely restored. It appears to be one of the ten that Craig's link referred to. [sorry, the photo got rotated]

They also had a derelict M16 truck and a bunch of cast iron tractor seats that included one made by the South Bend Chilled Iron Plow Co.

8E45E
02-23-2017, 06:04 PM
How was your trip, BTW?

I read your enquiries on the AACA forum before you went.

Craig

Milaca
02-23-2017, 06:59 PM
I sold my 1950 2R16A fire truck with Dakota Fire apparatus last fall to a fella near Grand Rapids, Minnesota. His plans are to remove the fire apparatus and install a fuel tanker body however.

Guido
02-23-2017, 07:31 PM
Hi Again Skip : I know what you mean I just can't find the name of the company that built bodies on Studebaker chassis and cowl units and I think they also did Fire trucks . We had a company in Winnipeg that built custom truck boxes in the same manner but when the old man passed away the boys took only a few years to go belly up . I always said old man Laurie turned over in his grave several times . The company started in 1902 . We do have a company called Fort Garry Industries that builds Fire Fighting equipment and they started in 1928 and have expanded 8 times and the last time they are now on 40 acres .

Guido . as far as I have been told Frank no longer does registries a fellow by the name of Dave does them now I don't know if this includes fire trucks or not . Frank or Dave haven't answered my emails yet will wait and see . I am considering doing a registry on Taxis, Police cars , Ambulances ( Ambulet's ) and School Buses and Fire Trucks if frank isn't doing them any more but that would have to wait until I can get this Registry managers List updated and by the looks of it will take some time . If you can get in touch with Frank and see if he is still doing the fire truck registry and then let me know at not4u@nlis.ca it would be of great help . Well guys who is up next for comments .

Old Fart Terry

I doubt I will see or speak with Frank before York.

Lou Van Anne
02-23-2017, 07:32 PM
Phoenix police department drove 61, 62 and 64 Studebakers.

old fart
02-23-2017, 07:35 PM
Guido : If you do by chance get him to email me at not4u@nlis.ca so we can straighten the registry list out . Thanks

Old Fart Terry

- - - Updated - - -

Guido : If you do by chance get him to email me at not4u@nlis.ca so we can straighten the registry list out . Thanks

Old Fart Terry

8E45E
02-23-2017, 07:38 PM
Then there were the 20 1964 Marshals specially made for various police departments for evaluation:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?50172-More-Marshal-dig-out

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?30446-From-the-Archives-19-(-64-Marshall)&highlight=marshal

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?3954-64-Studebaker-Squad-Car-in-Action

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?30389-From-the-Archives-18-(legs)

Craig

old fart
02-23-2017, 07:41 PM
Milaca :

Hope you kept the guys name who bought the truck and if he isn't a member of the club told him about it . Also debate still going on . Do we go to Duluth or Calgary . The low Canuck dollar is talking louder when you are on a small pension . Take care

Old Fart

- - - Updated - - -

Milaca :

Hope you kept the guys name who bought the truck and if he isn't a member of the club told him about it . Also debate still going on . Do we go to Duluth or Calgary . The low Canuck dollar is talking louder when you are on a small pension . Take care

Old Fart

(S)
02-23-2017, 07:43 PM
Seattle owned lots of Larks. TW did a story on them. 'city 6's " circa 1998?

Don't forget those Zip Vans, There is a good thread or two on this forum about them if you search it.. As well as a very good thread on police cars.

8E45E
02-23-2017, 07:52 PM
Phoenix police department drove 61, 62 and 64 Studebakers.

Yes, they did for sure:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?55365-Studes-in-Roadside-Americana-photos/page92

As did a few other police departments have '61's:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?90465-Baltimore-Police-61-Lark-Picture

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?25546-Now-I-ve-got-3-Marshals-minus-one

Craig

8E45E
02-23-2017, 09:07 PM
Seattle owned lots of Larks.

They did: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?55536-City-of-Seattle-Larks

Craig

nebraska stude
02-23-2017, 11:16 PM
In 1966, on a vacation in Illinois, outside a reastaurant we stopped at, there was a County Sheriffs sign on the door of a rather new Hawk. Chocolate brown, with the big gumball lights on top. Peeked inside, full police radio and a four speed.

old fart
02-24-2017, 08:09 AM
Hey I am seeing how we need more and more registry managers S mentioned a Zip Van and I should have remembered that one because I had two of them . One I bought from our truck expert Vic and the other from mark Soholt . I sold both to a Rolly Hammerstadt in Kenora Ontario area .Maybe with all that information out there someone should start that registry . The one that throws me is seeing the mention of a hawk as a police car wow . I know of one other weird Police car and that was a 1964 St.vital (at the time a suburb of Winnipeg ) a 4 dr. Commander with the Avanti package . I was working for Cooke Studebaker/Datsun/Triumph at the time and I was the guy that had to do the pre-delivery clean up of all new cars . Then I had to deliver it to the police on what we call our perimeter hwy . For a sixteen year old driving that car was the best way to color my shorts and was glad to be driving their trade-in back to the dealership . Wonder how many of the commercial vehicles are still around today ????? NEXT

Old Fart Terry

studegary
02-24-2017, 01:33 PM
I would think that Studebaker hearses should also be included. The funeral home that is about two blocks from where I now sit (Fishkill, NY) has a 1929 that is still in use. I have already contracted for its use, when the time comes.

The City of Beacon, NY had Studebaker police cars.

I owned a Zip Van for many years. It went to NJ.

8E45E
02-24-2017, 01:42 PM
I would think that Studebaker hearses should also be included. The funeral home that is about two blocks from where I now sit (Fishkill, NY) has a 1929 that is still in use.

Who was the body builder of that '29?

I posted a link to Bender body hearses in Post #5.

Craig

old fart
02-24-2017, 03:39 PM
Hi Guys :

And Studegary brings another vehicle into the mix hearses . I think Bender Body Works was only one company that worked with Studebaker but how far back ? I would imagine the Hearses and Ambulances would be built on the same chassis and possibly by the same company Bender ??? Would the same companies also use Pachards ? being a relative in the 50's .

Old Fart Terry

old fart
02-24-2017, 03:50 PM
Another thought from the guy with seniors moments . What would you call a registry with all the vehicles that we have been talking about here . How about " Commercial Conversions " any other ideas . I am thinking about it .

Fart

8E45E
02-24-2017, 05:02 PM
Another thought from the guy with seniors moments . What would you call a registry with all the vehicles that we have been talking about here . How about " Commercial Conversions " any other ideas . I am thinking about it .

Studebaker called them all 'Fleet' vehicles; both cars and trucks.

Craig

old fart
02-24-2017, 05:20 PM
Craig : Then you are suggesting it should be called the " Fleet Registry " makes sense . Googled some coach works manufacture companies like walker wells 1891-1929 Crestline from????-today Superior Coachworks from ???? - today but the one that caught my eye was Wayne Works who bought out Meteor-Motor Co. and A.J.miller in the early 1950's and folded in 1979 but was reborn five years later . I haven't heard of the last one and don't know if they had anything to do with Studebaker or not with their Ambulances and Hearses . Be interesting to find out .

O Fart

(S)
02-24-2017, 08:25 PM
COuple year back, we sent a 1 or 2 ton M Series Truck to the crusher. It had a long wheelbase and a hand crank fire engine type ladder in the back. The prior owner told me it was a power line truck, and it was very cool, but not very saveable. That ladder was at least 3 parts, and looked like it had quite a reach.

studegary
02-25-2017, 11:27 AM
Who was the body builder of that '29?

I posted a link to Bender body hearses in Post #5.

Craig

I am sorry, but I do not remember the body builder. I sent all of the information, including Serial Number, to Richard Quinn, along with pictures. He researched the hearse. It was built on a special purpose commercial chassis. It was one of two known to exist. I believe that the other one is in South America. There were only a very small number built - I am thinking less than a dozen.

studegary
02-25-2017, 11:29 AM

Fart

I would refer to them as Professional Vehicles.
They are not all conversions. For example, Studebaker manufactured police cars, taxis and Ambulets.

old fart
02-25-2017, 02:44 PM
Hi Gary :

You may be onto something . Studebaker did make what you mentioned with out too much tinkering around . Professional Vehicle registry sounds good to me . Will think further .

O Fart

8E45E
02-25-2017, 06:30 PM
Hi Gary :

You may be onto something . Studebaker did make what you mentioned with out too much tinkering around . Professional Vehicle registry sounds good to me.

There maybe should be two separate registries for these types of vehicles.

A. Fleet: This would include cars and trucks special ordered, but not rebodied outside for non-personal use, be it a standard production model or a fleet-intended model like a Y1 or a Y3 body with non-stock colors and fleet options.

B. Professional or Vocational: Cars and trucks sent out for having their bodies outfitted by an outside firm, which would include Bender, Superior, Edwards Iron Works, et al. (This category would include most 1-1/2 & 2 ton trucks.)

Craig

old fart
02-25-2017, 06:52 PM
Now we are getting somewhere . I think maybe Craig should be a manager for one of the registries he so cleverly thought of . What do you say Craig you seem to have the knowledge for them . What do you say guys don't you think Craig would be a great manager ??? I think he would so let's hear from someone else who thinks he would .

Old Fart

old fart
02-25-2017, 08:17 PM
Craig :

Just an after thought but which category would the Zip vans fall under ?? Were they made totally at the Studebaker plant or farmed out ??

8E45E
02-25-2017, 08:31 PM
Craig :

Just an after thought but which category would the Zip vans fall under ?? Were they made totally at the Studebaker plant or farmed out ??

Professional/Vocational. The bodies themselves were supplied by Met-Pro in Pennsylvania.

Craig

Studebaker Wheel
02-25-2017, 11:38 PM
For the record Studebaker signed an agreement with the Superior Body Company of Lima, Ohio in 1925 that provided an exclusive arrangement for advertising Studebaker professional vehicles using Superior bodies. Between 1925 and 1937 most all Studebaker ambulances and funeral cars utilized Superior bodies. From 1938 thru 1940 the Bender Body Co. of Cleveland received the Studebaker contract. There is no records of Studebaker offering special chassis for professional car use in 1941-42.

(S)
02-26-2017, 12:21 AM
The earliest 'special use' Studebakers? The war cannon chassis, horse drawn, or the Connestoga? . This category of the special use Studebaker has no end.....

StudeRich
02-26-2017, 12:35 AM
Now we are getting somewhere . I think maybe Craig should be a manager for one of the registries he so cleverly thought of . What do you say Craig you seem to have the knowledge for them . What do you say guys don't you think Craig would be a great manager ??? I think he would so let's hear from someone else who thinks he would. Old Fart

Yes he TOTALLY would!
But it is not up to me. He IS already somewhat occupied you know, being the New Editor of the Jet Thrust News Quarterly. :!:

old fart
02-26-2017, 10:54 AM
Hey StudeRich : If as you say he is the new editor of the Jet Thrust Quarterly I wonder why he didn't step forward and tell me that he was the contact person or if he isn't who is as Ron Ellerbe told me he was no longer , when the call went out for registry managers . Craig can you confirm or tell me who that contact is ?? I still say you would make a great registry manager .

Old fart Terry not4u@nlis.ca

StudeDave57
02-26-2017, 11:18 AM
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere where Craig DID indeed mention that fact.

But it's hard to say with there being so many registry threads this past two weeks or so... :ohmy: :yeahright: :rolleyes:

Knowing I never got a reply back from you about mine--
you may have been to busy to notice.
It's all good.
:cheers:

It's a BIG time consuming task.
I'm glad to see you step up, and wish you luck.

8E45E
02-26-2017, 12:08 PM
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere where Craig DID indeed mention that fact.

I have NOT mentioned ANYTHING as of yet.

But IF Ron Ellerbe has officially stepped down, I will agree to take over the Roster/Registry for Jet-Thrust' engined Lark/Lark-types, G.T. Hawks, and the two Champ pickups. Until I receive something in writing from Ron it will be assumed he is still the Roster keeper for them.

Craig

old fart
02-26-2017, 02:39 PM
Stude Dave 57 :
Sorry if I didn't reply to your information on the registry but you are on the list of confirmed managers with my appreciation .

Craig : All the Champ pickup registries are managed by Patrick Fuchs as far as the records show .What you are saying you would be willing to take over the registries that Ron Ellerbe used to manage ? Ron did repond to my email stating he didn't have any thing more to do with any registries , and that was two weeks ago . His registries that I inquired about were the Jet Thrust news and the 62-64 G.T. Hawk registries . If you wish Ron's email address is ellerbe@pacbell.net to confirm his non involvement with the registries . I would like your email address so that I may include it on the list . Thank you for getting involved so much I really appreciate it . This has been a real eye opening experience for me , Thanks and hope to hear from you soon .

Old Fart Terry not4u@nlis.ca

StudeDave57
02-26-2017, 06:30 PM
I have NOT mentioned ANYTHING as of yet.
Craig

I must be confusing these 'Registries' with The Jet Thrust News.
No worries. :cheers:

Stude Dave 57 :
Sorry if I didn't reply to your information on the registry but you are on the list of confirmed managers with my appreciation .
That right there makes me wonder if you even saw and/or read my reply... :confused: :whome:

While I was doing one at one time-- my registry is so far on the back burner- it's barely even on my stove anymore.

StudeDave '57 :cool:

8E45E
02-27-2017, 07:21 AM
Yes he TOTALLY would!
But it is not up to me. He IS already somewhat occupied you know, being the New Editor of the Jet Thrust News Quarterly.

Actually, Rich, the Fleet & Professional/Vocational Registry would be a good one for you!

'Especially when you already own a nice '62 Transtar with a Utility multiple-compartment body, and there's a certain 1950 Superior-bodied school bus taking up residence at your place!!

Craig

StudeDave57
02-27-2017, 09:33 AM
'Especially when you already own a nice '62 Transtar with a Utility multiple-compartment body, and there's a certain 1950 Superior-bodied school bus taking up residence at your place!! Craig

'Multi-compartment body'---- whose truck are you thinking of?
Dad's only has one compartment.

Also-- Nelly moved out about a year and a half ago...

8E45E
02-27-2017, 01:19 PM
Dad's only has one compartment.

I thought it had a hinged drop-down door above the wheel opening, and vertically-hinged doors on either side of the wheel opening.

In any case, its still a 'Utility' body.

Craig

StudeDave57
02-27-2017, 03:02 PM
I thought it had a hinged drop-down door above the wheel opening, and vertically-hinged doors on either side of the wheel opening. In any case, its still a 'Utility' body. Craig

No doors 'cept in the back.

Best pic I have access to right now~

8E45E
02-27-2017, 04:52 PM
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]No doors 'cept in the back.

Okay, I thought it had outside compartments similar to a Bell System truck.

My turn to be 'confused'

Craig

old fart
02-28-2017, 08:40 PM
Hey Craig : Have you thought about doing the registries that Ron Ellerbe used to do yet , would be nice .

Old Fart

old fart
03-03-2017, 03:08 PM
Hey Garyash :
The picture may be rotated but are you sure that's not how they drive there don't forget you are 12 hours behind us or is it ahead 0f us ??

O. F.

altair
03-03-2017, 06:40 PM
6254562546Studebaker built ambulances for the first world war about 1914 and continued production well into civilian life.6254362544

STUDEBAKERFIRE
03-10-2017, 01:18 PM
Have one of my own. It is a 1939 Studebaker fire truck that has a Central Fire body on it. I was able to find an ad from the company in 1940 that showed the truck along with some other brands that Central made fire bodies for