No announcement yet.

245 - big six parts compatibility...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 245 - big six parts compatibility...

What years of the 245 have compatible parts? For instance, would parts off a '53 work on a '60?
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Some yes, some no. One from a car to a truck,? even less interchange. The books will show what parts can swap... For the 245's there were definite 'breaks' where things did not carry on to later ones.

Comment

That engine was in production for so long that some running changes were inevitable. The earlier ones had Auto-Lite electrics, which used an ear on the timing gear cover to mount the generator. The later ones were equipped with Delco-Remy, which had a different timing gear cover and generator mounting arrangement. The cloverleaf versions had different valves, rings and timing gears. All that said, complete engines will interchange.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Okay... All of that is nice to know. So a '50 Commander engine's fuel pump likely wouldn't work, however would the fuel pump from a '53 truck work, is the question? That reminds me, I need to call S.W. about a generator.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

If a dual-action fuel pump is desired on a truck with the Commander 6, a specific truck-unique pump with a long actuator arm along with a 677285 adapter is required. This is necessary to move the pump away from the block and avoid interference with the carb heat shield. These double-action pumps were dropped when electric wipers became available in 1953.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

From what I've been told, water pumps are different between years and application. There is reference to big hub, small hub difference. I would like to rebuild my own but, can't seem to find a supplier for a kit. Neal

Comment

Wasn't there a response here from Radioroy regarding fuel pumps? My post #5 above was really in response to that.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                Wasn't there a response here from Radioroy regarding fuel pumps? My post #5 above was really in response to that.
                Yes, I remember seeing it also.

On the 1953 electric wiper date, I thought electric wipers came out in 1951?

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post

On the 1953 electric wiper date, I thought electric wipers came out in 1951?
                  The parts book does not specify exactly when the electric wipers became optional on trucks, since the parts book was intended to be used by dealers to repair vehicles -- either a truck had electric wipers or it did not. But if I am reading the parts book correctly, it does list the serial numbers at which the cowl/dash assembly strut changed to accommodate the electric wiper motor, which mounted differently than the vacuum motor. These serial numbers are very late in the 1953 model year. Also, the first time that electric wipers were listed in the truck price list was in the June 1953 issue.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

OK, thanks. I was thinking cars instead of trucks.

Comment

Working...
                    X