Hawk Oil Filter Can Remote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Hawk Oil Filter Can Remote

Has anyone moved the oil filter on a V-8 Hawk, from the location on the oil fill tube, to a remote location? I'm thinking of doing it to clean up the top of the engine, and shortening/replacing the fill tube. If it's been done, there's no need to reinvent the wheel...

Yes it can be done.use flex hoses and if spin/on type mount up side down.to prevent mess at oil change time. be careful shortening filler tube, it's baffeled for a reason! Luck Doofus

Comment

Good catch, on the fill tube baffle...

Comment

The filter can be moved, but why do it as it's in great spot for an easy replacement. Why take the chance of a flex hose failure by using a remote filter mount. Also you are dealing with a 3/16's line to the inlet side of the filter and a 1/4 line for the outlet. and to get those lines made isn't exactly cheap either as I haven't been able to get pre made oil filter lines in a good long time. Do not cut the stand pipe, like Doofus says, there is a baffle in the pipe to keep oil from blowing up into the breather cap. Bud

Comment

The neatest way to "clean up" the front of the V8 Engine if it does not need to look completely 1956 original, is:

buy the late 1962 to 1964 Valve Covers (painted or Chrome) & Dual Caps and buy or make a '63-'64 Oil Filler Pipe Block-off Plate when you relocate the Oil Filter.
          You will be able to use the '58-'62 Spin-on Filter Base or your existing '56 Drop-in Canister Fram F4 filter.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Could remote mount on the inner fender apron ala Jensen Interceptor. They had a Chrysler V8 stuffed under the bonnet. Not much spare room under there!
            sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
            Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
            "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

I relocated the oil filter to where the mechanical fuel pump was on a 289 and went to an electric pump. Shortened the filler tube about inch and a half. Looks 95% better. Got rid of the oil bath air cleaner as well. Engine bay doesn't look like a tractor anymore.

Comment

Working...
              X