PDA

View Full Version : Engine: Points Lubrication

reichsrundfunk
02-22-2017, 01:26 PM
Hi guys, been offline the past several months with family issues, but getting back and caught up. I experience Poor. idle and rough running in the fall and replaced the carburetor which made a huge improvement. However my 63 Lark 259 V8 is still not right. This weekend I'll be replacing the ignition points. If anyone could suggest what lube to use I'll upgrade to that level! I'm thinking about the lube on the distributor cam!

George

jackb
02-22-2017, 02:58 PM
Please take this as considerate observation: Your assessment or diagnosis of your problem leave many open doors. Unless certain of your problem(s)..you could be replacing any number of parts before you find the solution. Are your points bad or is your gas bad ?

Mike Van Veghten
02-22-2017, 02:58 PM
The only thing requiring lube IS the rubbing block/cam.
And yes there is special lube for that location.
Swap to an electronic ignition module, you won't need any point lube..!

As far as your rough idle, have you adjusted the valves lately ? Badly adjusted valves will make an engine idle rough, even run rough at lower rpm's. A vacuum leak will also provide a rough idle, as well as misadjusted idle mixture screws. So will incorrectly adjusted ignition timing. Add about 4 degrees to what the book says, your engine will be much happier.

There's a few things to look at.

Mike

skyway
02-22-2017, 03:03 PM
I'm still using the lifetime x20 sized (think HUGE tube of toothpaste) tube of genuine Delco distributor cam lube that I found unopened at a neighborhood garage sale.
That said, a good auto parts store ought to still sell something designed for the purpose.

OOPS! Mike gave you the correct answer whilst I was typing.

Corvanti
02-22-2017, 03:50 PM
George, i haven't bought points in a long time (1970's) but they used to come with a capsule of grease for the cam.
some folks use dielectric grease. a tube of that can be found at your FLAPS with gasket sealers.

agree with Mike on the other possible reasons.:!:

karterfred88
02-22-2017, 04:01 PM
I've had a hard time finding the silicone grease for the rubbing blocks myself, used to come with the points in a little pouch, not anymore, I ordered some of this-but it lasts forever, since you only use a tiny dab at a time http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_falcon_mercury_comet/distributor-cam-lube-made-with-silicone-7-8-ounce-381622.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=paid_search&utm_campaign=paid_search_google_pla&scid=scplp41-20966-1&sc_intid=41-20966-1&gclid=CKmQlobMpNICFQlYDQodgLcF6w

BobPalma
02-22-2017, 05:05 PM
I'm still using the lifetime x20 sized (think HUGE tube of toothpaste) tube of genuine Delco distributor cam lube that I found unopened at a neighborhood garage sale.
That said, a good auto parts store ought to still sell something designed for the purpose.

OOPS! Mike gave you the correct answer whilst I was typing.

:!: That's interesting, Gary; I've got an old tube of that very Delco product I've been using for decades and it is nowhere near empty! ;) :cool: BP

rstrasser
02-22-2017, 05:36 PM
Like others; I have had my tube of Delco Distributor Lub forever. The Delco part number for the lub is U-1901. There is one for sale on E Bay.
Ron

Bill A
02-22-2017, 05:50 PM
Used it forever, Bosch was the one I used but I'm sure there are a number of others. If you don't use it you should buy several sets of points and get good at setting the gap by eye. I probably averaged 6 sets a day for over 10 years and lubrication was a must do thing.

Corvanti
02-22-2017, 06:03 PM
I've had a hard time finding the silicone grease for the rubbing blocks myself, used to come with the points in a little pouch, not anymore

I just "whooped out";) my tube of Permatex Dielectric Grease and as i thought, dielectric grease is silicone based.

Bud
02-22-2017, 06:39 PM
I've been using Mallory distributor cam grease that I bought from Summit Racing years ago. I've also used high temperature disc brake wheel bearing grease with good results. Don't over lube the cam or the grease will end up in the points which isn't good. Back in the good old days, Vasaline was the lube of choice for distributor cams. Bud

TWChamp
02-22-2017, 10:23 PM
Agree with all above, and I like to wipe a thin coat over the entire cam to be sure no bare spots develop rust.