PDA

View Full Version : 'Survivor' Golden Hawk

SN-60
02-21-2017, 06:29 PM
There's a gorgeous '57 Golden Hawk listed now on the Hartford (Conn) craigslist :eek:......'Survivor' car with 20 thousand original miles (?) just pulled out of 31 year dry storage...NO RUST!

Black with white fin inserts and T-85 3 speed O/D transmission....completely factory stock....Needs brake work from sitting...No P/S......Owner is asking 32K.

Studedude
02-21-2017, 06:59 PM
https://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/6006028273.html

SN-60
02-21-2017, 07:07 PM
https://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/6006028273.html

......Thanks!

SN-60
02-21-2017, 07:11 PM
Folks....I must say when you see green engine overspray on the lower sides of a '57 Golden McCulloch supercharger, you're REALLY going back in time! :woot:

SN-60
02-21-2017, 09:37 PM
This GH sold for approx 24K a few years back in dusty, dirty shape....Looks like the new owner did a nice job cleaning it up,..... and now it's for sale again. :ohmy:

Mark L
02-21-2017, 09:44 PM
Wow, very nice.

nels
02-21-2017, 10:27 PM
I drove the 850 miles to RI to buy that car when it was advertised late last year. It is a pretty solid car for an eastern car but it is not what it was taunted to be. The owners at that time had inherited the car and were just not aware. The front fenders are bondoed in the usual place, the rocker panels have been replaced with pop rivets, minor rust in the drivers floor, marginal chrome, original very decent interior but don't sit in it in cold weather. Original carpet in it but mostly gone on the drivers side. I assume it was sold after I turned it down and is being resold by the new owner. Good car but not as advertised. Buyer beware!

SN-60
02-22-2017, 05:22 AM
I drove the 850 miles to RI to buy that car when it was advertised late last year. It is a pretty solid car for an eastern car but it is not what it was taunted to be. The owners at that time had inherited the car and were just not aware. The front fenders are bondoed in the usual place, the rocker panels have been replaced with pop rivets, minor rust in the drivers floor, marginal chrome, original very decent interior but don't sit in it in cold weather. Original carpet in it but mostly gone on the drivers side. I assume it was sold after I turned it down and is being resold by the new owner. Good car but not as advertised. Buyer beware!

Good info Nels!:!:....There's nothing like an appraisal from someone that's actually seen the car! (and knows what he's looking at!).....Still, a very interesting Golden Hawk!

PackardV8
02-22-2017, 10:08 AM
There's a gorgeous '57 Golden Hawk listed now on the Hartford (Conn) craigslist :eek:......'Survivor' car with 20 thousand original miles (?) just pulled out of 31 year dry storage...NO RUST!That last should have been the first clue to those of us here the sellers are clueless or just liars. It is a given no Studebaker ever survived even 20kmi in CT without rust. Back in the day, New England used more road salt than any area of the country and then and now, no place in CT is very far from the humid coast, so no such thing as dry storage.

jack vines

swvalcon
02-22-2017, 10:30 AM
Jack I was always told that they came from the factory with rust.

studegary
02-22-2017, 01:58 PM
Reminds me of my '57 Golden Hawk,which was also black and overdrive (not common). The last that I saw "mine" it was white and still in New York State.

Big Smooth
02-22-2017, 02:03 PM
Very cool.. The engine is within 100 units of mine.

Question: The chrome piece next to the gas door. Is that an option or standard? Don't have that....

swvalcon
02-22-2017, 03:20 PM
Big smooth check with SI they have it. Aftermarket part.

Big Smooth
02-22-2017, 03:28 PM
Thanks, I have the catalog and will look. Actually, not sure if I'm a fan of the piece hanging out there alone.

SN-60
02-22-2017, 04:19 PM
Thanks, I have the catalog and will look. Actually, not sure if I'm a fan of the piece hanging out there alone.

I bet you'd like the more subtle 'straight' gas door guard. (same guard, but without the dorsal fin!)...S. I. has that one also!

edpjr
02-22-2017, 08:29 PM
Why would Stude build a super-charged engine with a 2bbl carb??

alaipairod
02-22-2017, 09:31 PM
There's a gorgeous '57 Golden Hawk listed now on the Hartford (Conn) craigslist :eek:......'Survivor' car with 20 thousand original miles (?) just pulled out of 31 year dry storage...NO RUST!

Black with white fin inserts and T-85 3 speed O/D transmission....completely factory stock....Needs brake work from sitting...No P/S......Owner is asking 32K.

...........I wonder if the serial number on the driver's pillar post will reflect the correct info that is available from the Museum that this might be one of the four models produced with the manual overdrive twin traction package with the midnight black paint scheme...........

StudeRich
02-22-2017, 09:49 PM

My best guess other than keeping the Warranted Engine Replacement count down, would be they knew they had lots of money pinching customers who it was thought, would not like the MPG.

The truth is you don't usually get get BOTH the best performance AND the best economy.

The same reason few Studebaker buyers opted for the 4 Barrel Carb. when it was optional, even LESS of them ordered the New much improved AFB in '63 & '64, which obviously was "thought" to be a major Gas guzzler but was a HUGE improvement in Performance. :(

SN-60
02-22-2017, 10:09 PM

I've always wondered the same thing....especially when McCulloch Motors had already 'sealed' the Carter WCFB, just as Studebaker did later on with the Carter AFB. :ohmy:

S2Deluxe
02-22-2017, 11:06 PM

I'd guess, maybe the AFBs used on the '63 &'64 R2s & R3s weren't available in the fall of '56 when the first supercharged studes went in to production?

Mark

hausdok
02-22-2017, 11:27 PM
I'm more interested in the Corvette in the background. Any info?

6hk71400
02-22-2017, 11:31 PM
That is a good $64,000 question. Wait, that might be the answer:eek:

Bob Miles
Tucson AZ soon

packardHawk58
02-23-2017, 02:33 AM
Well Mike, the Hawk is flanked by two Midyear roadsters.
Its amazing how so many Studebaker owners have Corvettes as well.
That 57 Hawk has cleaned up very nice, even in the trunk floor looks fantastic.
I cant believe it has the issues that Nels has pointed out, still good buying for that money.

handworn
02-23-2017, 04:34 PM
The ad is gone already. It helps with the "archive" of the forum if we grab the information and photos off the Craigslist ad and post it directly.

n29we
03-31-2017, 04:00 PM
Well guys, I purchased this car. I agree with Nels, you have to be there in person to see it. It has the usual repairs, rear of front fenders and rockers. Older nice repaint with minimal bondo, magnet test worked all over so thin bondo, I really do think its a 20K car. Minimal grease and dirt accumulation underneath, no door sag at all, steering super tight, windows solid operation, no rust at all in the trunk and all systems worked except for the clock which I just posted about the repairs. Someone posted about the possibility of it be 1 of 4 black and white 3spwOD posi car, I asked the museum about that and Andrew said that no one to his knowledge has complied that info. I'd be interested in where that 1 of 4 info came from because I'd love it if it was. Jim O

SN-60
03-31-2017, 04:49 PM
A factory installed 3 speed with O/D transmission is a rarity in ANY year Golden Hawk, and definitely enhances your car's financial value.

Although I've never seen your GH 'in person', I've been told by 'folks in the know' that it's a real beauty!:!:.....Best of luck with it!...I hope to meet you and check out your Hawk at future New England Stude meets! :)

n29we
03-31-2017, 05:57 PM
A factory installed 3 speed with O/D transmission is a rarity in ANY year Golden Hawk, and definitely enhances your car's financial value.

Although I've never seen your GH 'in person', I've been told by 'folks in the know' that it's a real beauty!:!:.....Best of luck with it!...I hope to meet you and check out your Hawk at future New England Stude meets! :)

Love to meet you too!! She's a really nice original car. I always wanted one and I prefer the manual trans too

studegary
04-01-2017, 06:49 PM
Well guys, I purchased this car. I agree with Nels, you have to be there in person to see it. It has the usual repairs, rear of front fenders and rockers. Older nice repaint with minimal bondo, magnet test worked all over so thin bondo, I really do think its a 20K car. Minimal grease and dirt accumulation underneath, no door sag at all, steering super tight, windows solid operation, no rust at all in the trunk and all systems worked except for the clock which I just posted about the repairs. Someone posted about the possibility of it be 1 of 4 black and white 3spwOD posi car, I asked the museum about that and Andrew said that no one to his knowledge has complied that info. I'd be interested in where that 1 of 4 info came from because I'd love it if it was. Jim O

I can't imagine that there were only four. Refer to post #11.