Running rough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Running rough

I have a 64 Stude. 289 2 barrel carb. Stromberg 132.I have rebuilt this carb. and adj . The problem I have is at 15-20 mph. it wants surge. I can step on the pedal and it takes off like jet. and runs good. Any idea of what is causing this low speed surge?

May not be carb. Does engine surge in neutral at the same RPMs it would turn at 20 mph? The WW carb is a good carburetor; the Autolite distributor not so much. Check the timing and check both the vacuum and mechanical advance. Throttle shaft OK? Had trouble with my WW on my 64. sent it to a national rebuilder and it was over choked and it leaked. Hope it is now finally fixed. I can remove it or reinstall it in about 2 minutes now! The pcv valve is hidden away in the back of the motor - is it ok? Good luck!

Comment

I did have a nos carb on the car and it worked great. I wanted to use it on my Daytona Convert up north. That is why I rebuilt this one. Timing is fine, pcv works fine.

Comment

Is choke adjusted correctly? They can be very fussy. It is possible that if set too rich it could cause surging. Again, Good Luck. Surging can be frustrating. My Ford F One-Thirsty has done it off and on since new. I just speed up or slow down and attribute it to its being a Ford.

Comment

Check the diaphragm on your vacuum advance sometimes when the are perforated they will cause a surge at lower steady speeds.

Comment

The main jets may be too lean or partially blocked. Acceleration opens the bypass jet making the mixture a little richer.
            American iron, real old school
            With two tone paint, it sure is cool

Its got 8 cylinders and uses them all
            With an overdrive that just won't stall

With a 4 barrel carb and dual exhausts
            With 4.23 gears it can really get lost

Its got safety belts and I ain't scared
            The brakes are good and the tires are fair.

Tried to sell her, but got no taker
            I"ll just keep driving my Studebaker

Comment

Originally posted by greyben View Post
              The main jets may be too lean or partially blocked. Acceleration opens the bypass jet making the mixture a little richer.
              I will double check,but I did clean very well with car b cleaner and use tag wire.

Comment

Could be a warn cam.

Comment

I will try that.

- - - Updated - - -

I wiil try that advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Daytona View Post
                    I have a 64 Stude. 289 2 barrel carb. Stromberg 132.I have rebuilt this carb. and adj . The problem I have is at 15-20 mph. it wants surge. I can step on the pedal and it takes off like jet. and runs good. Any idea of what is causing this low speed surge?
                    May be too much fuel pressure? Can cause surging. Electric fuel pump?? Check!!
                    don

Comment

Working...
                    X