PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to Ebay?

stude-54
02-20-2017, 01:42 PM
I'd like to get some advice from the forum members. Specifically, what alternatives are there to selling Stude parts on Ebay? My problem is that I don't know the values of the stuff I have, and I want to sell at a reasonable price both to me and the buyer. This would seem to preclude sites like StudeSwap, as I probably wouldn't price stuff properly; either to much or too little. Are there any good auction type sites that people have used with success?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

karterfred88
02-20-2017, 02:10 PM
Pricing is the key word in your question. Auctions don't determine value, they get stuff sold-if someone wants it. Doesn't matter what it is "worth", if you want it gone and someone wants it, whatever they bid is it's value-as long as you give it to them for that amount. Wringing your hands over whether you got enough, isn't part of the disposal equation. Put it on the swap page, that's where Studebaker owners lurk looking for Studebaker parts. Price it for as little as you can stand getting for it. Doesn't sell reconsider the need and whether you really want to hold onto it for your heirs or not.

GrumpyOne
02-20-2017, 10:22 PM
...and remember the key rule: "Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it."

StudeRich
02-20-2017, 10:42 PM
There ARE "Other" eBay Type sites one or two someone recommended that I looked at ONCE, that's it.
They are so insignificant and unheard of, that I forgot their names in a heartbeat and apparently so does the rest of the World. :(
There IS a pretty big one up in Canada, but if you live in the U.S. you would never use that: jiji or something.

Unfortunately we are stuck with the winner: (ePay$$$ & PayPal) to actually SELL and get paid for things.

64Avanti
02-21-2017, 01:09 AM
Pricing is the key word in your question. Auctions don't determine value, they get stuff sold-if someone wants it. Doesn't matter what it is "worth", if you want it gone and someone wants it, whatever they bid is it's value-as long as you give it to them for that amount. Wringing your hands over whether you got enough, isn't part of the disposal equation. Put it on the swap page, that's where Studebaker owners lurk looking for Studebaker parts. Price it for as little as you can stand getting for it. Doesn't sell reconsider the need and whether you really want to hold onto it for your heirs or not.

It would be nice if someone cleaned up the swap page. Too many old listings, some over 10 years old.

Buzzard
02-21-2017, 09:35 AM
Studerich,
I have had reasonable success on our Canadian site: Kijiji
It seems to be better than Craig's List.
Bill

candbstudebakers
02-21-2017, 09:52 AM
E-bay can make you money rather easy and fast on small items that can be mailed by post office, listing your item first think what would I like to get for this thing and start there either low price with a reserve at you want price or buy it now price, good items sell them self if priced right. I have found that by figuring out what it will cost to mail it and put that in you ad at that time, it will let people know what total cost could be and not have to hope they don't get screwed on the shipping. I could go on for a long time about selling on E-bay but will not this is just a little start for you. good luck.

tim333
02-21-2017, 11:29 AM
I always figure my shipping cost then always offer free shipping. Works for me.

RadioRoy
02-21-2017, 12:33 PM
If you want to know what someone paid for an item on eBay, search for that item and then click on completed listings.

wittsend
02-21-2017, 12:35 PM
Ebay has a "Sold Items" option in the side bar that displays what an item sold for. That can be helpful to to setting a price. Note that "Completed Items" shows ALL auctions that have ended, but many did not meet the requirements to sell. So, "Sold Items" will show those that actually sold. That is a more accurate means of setting a price.

For general understanding Ebay has many options. You can offer a "Buy It Now" price and it is much like selling a regular classified ad listing. You can do an auction with a reserve price. If the item does not bid up to the amount you want you are not obligated to sell it. Or you can do a standard timed auction. Within the timed auction you can set a minimum starting price. For example you list a part for the standard 7 day auction. You know the value (new) is $50 and you hope to get $25 but will sell it for $15 at a minimum. So you set the start price at $15. It may sell for $15 or it can bid up as high as someone is willing to pay. Or, if no one wants to pay even $15 it just doesn't sell.

Frankly there really are no practical alternatives to Ebay for internet selling. As Stude Rich said everything else is less than Ebay in notoriety. While your concern about getting a fair price is valid that can really only be determined by a buyers "want" as you say you, "don't know what to charge." In essence you are kind of asking the impossible. You don't know what to charge, but you don't want to get "taken." Until YOU establish a price you want your desire can not be completed. At least an Ebay auction lets the market place decide the price - for that moment in time. Or, if the number of items you have are not too many perhaps you can post them, and their condition, and others (who would be willing) can assist you on setting a "fair" price.

StudeNorm
02-21-2017, 03:26 PM
Post #2 essentially said it all. "Price it for as little as you can stand getting for it." If you get more for it, bonus. If it doesn't sell reconsider getting rid of it and find another shelf to put it on until it starts to get in your way again. I have lots on my shelves like that. Unfortunately I still usually kick myself a few weeks after selling something when I realize I now need whatever it was that I no longer have... Doh!

TWChamp
02-21-2017, 06:15 PM
I knew a guy several years ago that started "Sell it for a Buck". You could sell anything, even a car, and it only cost a buck to list and sell the item. I checked the site a couple times, but there wasn't much on it, probably because people just didn't know about the site. Too bad it isn't well known, as it would be a lot cheaper than ebay.