PDA

View Full Version : Car Jacking on Ebay

6hk71400
02-20-2017, 11:10 AM
I know this has been covered before but this is the latest incident. Here is a listing on EBAY:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1951-Studebaker-Commander-Restored-/142284353577?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2120cef029:g:4-UAAOSw2gxYqcXI&item=142284353577

Nice car huh? Well, it has also been listed here.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/6008897053.html

I had been in contact with another forum member about this car. I saw this on the 'bay' last night about midnight. I got in touch with the other member. Both thought it was strange. In fact he has sent a deposit through PayPal already and making arrangements to pick up the car later this week. Talking to the owner, it turns out that he had not placed an ad and the seller id was not his. The current owner is going to contact EBAY about this.

Just a heads up to always beware and check things out.

Bob Miles
Tucson AZ soon

64studeavanti
02-20-2017, 12:37 PM
Would be a little scary sending money to someone with a 0 rating.

StudeRich
02-20-2017, 12:55 PM
The Motor needs a tuneup? :lol: The Serial Number has the last 2 Numbers flipped.
I assume the "REAL" Story is a bit different, it needs a complete OVERHAUL! :( The eBay seller "forgot" to mention THAT!

That IS strange isn't it, normally I would be way more suspicious of the Craigslist Ad since there is so little security on those and NO way to know WHO you are dealing with or their reputation. :ohmy:

The eBay ads have many rules, protections and penalties etc, etc.

Hmmm, pharoes1954 has been a eBay Member since Aug. 13, 2016 in the U.S.

wittsend
02-20-2017, 01:35 PM
The Ebay ad has the car priced at $8,500 and states "Will need a tune up." The Craigslist ad has the car priced at $5,000 states "Will need a rebuild." Maybe pictures need to be watermarked with "Not for sale anywhere except Craigslist Phoenix" (in this case).

I once sold a car (deposit) on a Friday and the guy picked it up on Monday. Over the weekend, before he had legal possession he posted the car for sale. When I advertised the car it was a #5 condition on a 1-6 scale. It was also noted it had back fees because my wife neglected to pay the Non-Op fee and it needed to be trailered. He advertised it as a #2-#3 car, stated it was drive-able and failed to disclose the back fees.

I had a previous perspective buyer but in a phone conversation with me the fellow decided the car needed too much work. That Monday evening I received a email from the fellow. The very same car he rejected from me because of my honest disclosure he had driven 135 miles (one way) to see because of the distorted ad from the guy who had JUST bought the car from me. And I say JUST because he picked the car up at 9:00AM from me and was supposed to have met the fellow who had driven 135 miles at 8:30AM.

Needless to say the fellow was PO-ed. He told me the guy had tried to pass himself off as me and when the fellow didn't buy the car the guy told him that he was wasting his time. Really? The fellow drove 270 miles round trip and the guy who has listed a distorted ad for a car he yet didn't own said his time was wasted?

I hope this works out in the end. Desire to own something can short circuit the cautions we normally would follow. Frankly I've had a large number of transaction that could have gone bad - but eventually didn't. Even with my Studebaker purchase I handed over a Cashiers check to the owners nephews who told me their uncle was "out of state" and would sign and mail it in 5 days when he returned. 10 days went by and I had no pick slip. I got a return call from the nephew on day 12 and shortly after the uncle. He did in fact sign the pink slip and mail it off to me. He had even posted $56 to the DMV about a year prior and the DMV worker attributed the funds to me. But, thinking back I now say "What was I doing!"

tim333
02-20-2017, 02:07 PM
I'm the buyer working directly with the seller, we're both SDC members. He was hacked, eBay security is investigating. I'm still playing with the hacker, have him a negative eBay rating and pissed him off, lol. He says he's a "broker" for the seller. Seller noticed a rod knock when driving Saturday, very open and honest about it.

ken-renda
02-20-2017, 02:08 PM
While I'm a particular fan of Ebay, it is my understanding that, as a car buyer, one is protected up to $50K. If that's not correct, let me know as any time I have finally talked to a person at Ebay (as opposed to "computer"), I'm not sure of the answer. Finally, there is no circumstance I would buy a car off craigslist without inspection (and driving it) and seeing the title and the car was in my home state. Ken

lelshaddai
02-20-2017, 04:48 PM
Tim333, You actually gave the hacker a positive rating that said hacker. He has a rating of positive one now.

tim333
02-20-2017, 05:10 PM
I gave a negative rating, pissed him off. He must have hacked and changed it. I talked to Ebay Motors, they couldn't even pull up the listing because it was a bogus number. Security is investigating though, the seller and I both reported62254

studeclunker
02-20-2017, 08:15 PM
The scary part is that this car is listed on the 'bay as being 'sold'. The 'bay should change that to withdrawn, or sale cancelled.