PDA

View Full Version : Electrical: Battery dead

plee4139
02-20-2017, 09:43 AM
It's been in my Sky Hawk since before I got it nearly nine years ago, so it owes me nothing. What's the group and the best supplier? I don't use it in very cold weather, so I don't need anything super-duty, just a replacement. Also, as I have AAA to bring and install a new one, will I pay more for that, or should I just jumpstart it and drive to the nearest Sears or Pep Boys?

345 DeSoto
02-20-2017, 09:50 AM
Group 24 battery...NOT 24F (Ford reversed post).

63 R2 Hawk
02-20-2017, 10:01 AM
My philosophy is, buy the largest battery that will safely fit the battery tray & hold down-make sure it isn't too tall so it doesn't short out on the hood. I have not had very good luck with Sears batteries recently, the two I bought for my diesel truck started leaking after less than 2 years and the Sears batteries they replaced only lasted 3 years before failing. I buy my batteries from a local Bimart discount store for $67USD on sale. No-quibble guarantee. The last BiMart battery I bought for my Hawk has survived over 7 years now and seems to be going strong.

thunderations
02-20-2017, 10:17 AM
Check Walmart. The batteries seem to hold up and if you need a replacement on a Sunday or an evening, they are open.

rbisacca
02-20-2017, 10:22 AM
The battery in my '62 Champ pickup was purchased from WalMart in Sept. 2007. It's still going strong.

345 DeSoto
02-20-2017, 10:24 AM
When we leave for the winter for FL, I hook up a solar powered trickle charger to the battery in my Sky Hawk...which BTW is a Group 27, side post battery. I also have 3 other batteries I do this to. They do a GREAT job on keeping the batteries from sulfating up, and extending the useful life of them. Batteries crank the engines right up in the spring, when we return for the summer...

63 R2 Hawk
02-20-2017, 10:51 AM
When we leave for the winter for FL, I hook up a solar powered trickle charger to the battery in my Sky Hawk...which BTW is a Group 27, side post battery. I also have 3 other batteries I do this to. They do a GREAT job on keeping the batteries from sulfating up, and extending the useful life of them. Batteries crank the engines right up in the spring, when we return for the summer...

I use a dual post (top/side post) battery in my Hawk. The side posts are used to supply power to the MSD 6AL and timing computer. Makes for a tidy installation. The side posts can be used for other non-original power requirements.

sweetolbob
02-20-2017, 12:40 PM
As mentioned above, Walmart. They have a value series for under $50. I've been running one in my Kubota 900 and so far/so good. In my daily drivers, I run more expensive stuff but as you mentioned price, Walmart Value Line.

Bob

TWChamp
02-20-2017, 12:58 PM
When I worked at the junk yard in the 90's I was in charge of charging and checking the batteries for resale.
The one that held up the best was the Sears Diehard.
Maybe things have changed in 20 years?

My last three 12 volt batteries have all been found on Craigslist, and they were about $25 each and all less than a year old, with one being only a month old and never installed.

studegary
02-20-2017, 01:12 PM
Your car takes a Group 24 or 24C, not 24F.
I recommend the top line at Walmart.

Bud
02-20-2017, 04:13 PM
I've had good luck with the NAPA Legend batteries. I had one last 10 years in my 62 Hawk and the one that's in there now is 4 years old and still tests like a new one. Bud

GrumpyOne
02-20-2017, 10:38 PM
Tractor Supply also sells Group 24 batteries...

plee4139
02-21-2017, 05:48 AM
Check Walmart. The batteries seem to hold up and if you need a replacement on a Sunday or an evening, they are open.

I've seen quite a few negative reviews of their batteries.

plee4139
02-21-2017, 05:50 AM
Did you know that there are only 66 of these registered in the country as of about six years ago? I'd love to see a picture of yours.

jclary
02-21-2017, 05:58 AM
:lol::lol::lol:Maybe things have changed in 20 years?:lol::lol::lol:

Perhaps Sears has decided to save the company by selling new Diehard batteries for all remaining Studebakers!:yeahright:

To qualify...All we have to do is find the app and download it. :rolleyes:

Skip Lackie
02-21-2017, 07:44 AM
The last two Delco group 24 batteries I had lasted 12 years and 16 years. However, I keep them charged up by periodically connecting a battery maintainer to them.

plee4139
02-21-2017, 01:42 PM
After exhaustive research, it seems like no on can agree on a good battery. For every one which lasted many years, there's three more which failed quickly. Also, AAA does not carry batteries for my car, so all they can do is jump strat me so I can get it to whichever place I decide on. I've always had Die Hards, and never had a problem with them. It's just a bit of a hike from where the car is to the nearest Sears.

Lynn
02-21-2017, 03:23 PM
Optima WAS my battery of choice for years. No longer. I have a yellow top that I abuse badly in an old McLane electric mower. This will be season 11, and still going strong. However, the last 3 red tops have failed early; two within the 2 year free replacement warranty.

I can tell you what I purchased last, but only have one month of ownership, so no long term report. Energizer gel cell.

I do not like Walmart batteries. Even though they seem to last long enough, and do have a two year free replacement (I think) they all outgass so badly, that you are always fighting corrosion.

greyben
02-21-2017, 04:46 PM
Most vehicle batteries are branded. Major chains such as Walmart, Sears etc don't buy from a specific manufacturer which could account for differences in quality. The best bet may be to just purchase from the most convenient dealer who will honor their warranty and hope for the best.

Green53
02-21-2017, 08:21 PM
JCI is the manufacturer of all three of those brands. A few spec changes between brands

Denny L

dleroux
02-21-2017, 08:46 PM
Optima was the worst battery I've ever owned. My son wanted the "RED" top because it worked with his custom Infiniti but I inherited it when he was in college. Thank goodness we got it at Costco because in 6 years we replaced 4 batteries even though I had it connected to a trickle charger. Someone mentioned that I needed to have an Optima charger, but the last one I put in I just asked for the one that fit from Costco. Problem Sol-ved.

karterfred88
02-22-2017, 09:43 AM
Batteries are a hard item to recommend by brand. Often the "group" of the battery, due to it's design, may be more or less prone to expire early. I have always found that batteries in cars used everyday last a very long time, and those in cars parked for extended periods, trickle charged or not seem to have short lives. I've had good and bad from all the major makers, new cars with batteries that last 10 years or more, and their exact replacement lasting 3, in the same car. All time worst, is any brand 3EE Avanti battery. Third brand and third battery in 5 years with trickle on each one--now just leave it disconnected, check it before trying to start, if low give it a medium amp full charge and disconnect when done using the car. There must be a reason for the short warranty on these from every supplier.

StudeRich
02-24-2017, 01:10 AM
That is Correct, the 3EEE long thin 2 + 2 + 2 cell grouping Batteries that fit '63 Avantis ALL seem to be very Low plate count, Low Amp rating, Low Cranking Amp rating designed for 4 Cyl. Low draw Forklifts and just WILL NOT last due to being low power, overworked or just plain not durable I guess.

In Studebaker's Day, they USED to be made in higher Amp. Ratings to handle higher Compression and Power equipment etc.
I have yet to find a High Amp. rating 3EEE that lasts also.

Usually, Interstate Batterys are good quality but I had no luck with that. :(

345 DeSoto
02-24-2017, 08:56 AM
PLE4139 - It's not quite ready for pictures...yet. Soon, very soon...:)