PDA

View Full Version : Fake Studebaker Sign On EBAY From India

StudeMichael
02-19-2017, 03:21 PM
This sign is FAKE! If you do not believe me compare the "R" in service to an original sign. 95% of the fake signs come from India. Look at the sellers feedback too! And a 42" sign with free shipping from India?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322421343442?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Feedback: Object was bad replica... Object was in newer condition than described... m***c ( 840Purple star icon for feedback score in between 500 to 999) During past year
-- -- Private

JoeHall
02-19-2017, 03:24 PM
Fake news, fake Studebaker signs. Wonder what's next ? LOL

8E45E
02-19-2017, 03:28 PM
They must be at it again: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?97116-Fake-Porcelain-Signs-From-India

Craig

StudeMichael
02-19-2017, 03:28 PM
Fake news, fake Studebaker signs. Wonder what's next ? LOL

The world is full of scammers!! Just trying to help keep our forum members from getting ripped off.

StudeRich
02-19-2017, 03:32 PM
There are quite a few of these "Porcelain Signs" for sale in different styles that look like New ones that have been "Antiqued" with bullet holes, dents and rust. :(

Then they have the guts to ask More than NOS prices! :mad:

r1lark
02-19-2017, 03:40 PM
The ad does not say the sign is old, antique, genuine, etc. The ad does say the sign is used......I guess so once someone takes an air sander and distresses the edge, and knocks the porcelain off around a couple of holes.

I guess this is an example of buyer beware - know what you are buying.

kurtruk
02-19-2017, 07:52 PM
Here's another Feedback comment: "Absolutely great , thank you . Do you have any more ??" You can bet on it. Lots more where that came from!

kurtruk
02-19-2017, 07:55 PM
The ad does not say the sign is old, antique, genuine, etc. The ad does say the sign is used......I guess so once someone takes an air sander and distresses the edge, and knocks the porcelain off around a couple of holes.

I guess this is an example of buyer beware - know what you are buying.

The sign was listed under the category:Signs, Original, 1930-69

Lynn
02-19-2017, 08:41 PM
I agree that it is absolutely fraud. However, how can someone be so stupid to buy a sign from "Kalyan Dombivli, Maharashtra, India" as set out in the auction "location".

There is a huge influx of forged porcelain signs from India. Enough, that I am not buying anything unless I find it here locally.

BIG THANKS to Michael for pointing this out.

I sent one of the "India" sellers a message a while back (not sure if it was this seller) asking if it was a true vintage made in the U.S.A. antique sign or a newly created reproduction.

His response: "If I give a certificate of authenticity, will you buy it?" That's great: you have craftsman in India make fake signs and sell them for 10x your investment, and I am supposed to trust your certificate. If I did that, I should get a certificate of stupidity.

StudeMichael
02-20-2017, 12:47 AM
I got a similar reply!!

New message from: trashcollector2016 (77Blue Star)
if i certify it will you buy it of from me
never judge a book by its cover
ive been selling porcelain since 4 years

I agree that it is absolutely fraud. However, how can someone be so stupid to buy a sign from "Kalyan Dombivli, Maharashtra, India" as set out in the auction "location".

There is a huge influx of forged porcelain signs from India. Enough, that I am not buying anything unless I find it here locally.

BIG THANKS to Michael for pointing this out.

I sent one of the "India" sellers a message a while back (not sure if it was this seller) asking if it was a true vintage made in the U.S.A. antique sign or a newly created reproduction.

His response: "If I give a certificate of authenticity, will you buy it?" That's great: you have craftsman in India make fake signs and sell them for 10x your investment, and I am supposed to trust your certificate. If I did that, I should get a certificate of stupidity.

wlfrench
02-20-2017, 05:16 PM
If they sold these signs as NEW reproductions what would they go for?

Mike Van Veghten
02-20-2017, 07:15 PM
As others have noted...how do you call this a "fake" sign ?

The add says nothing about being an original, a first, an only...anything. It's just listed as a...sign.

Mike

StudeMichael
02-20-2017, 08:54 PM
If they sold these signs as NEW reproductions what would they go for?

If they were not beat up to look old $25.00

- - - Updated - - -

As mentioned previously in this post,,,

StudeMichael
02-20-2017, 08:56 PM
As others have noted...how do you call this a "fake" sign ?

The add says nothing about being an original, a first, an only...anything. It's just listed as a...sign.

Mike

As mentioned previously in this post,,,