PDA

View Full Version : Another 1957 Packard Wagon!

57pack
02-19-2017, 01:38 PM
I was just checking around on the Internet and discovered another 1957 Packard Country Sedan for sale! It's on Craigslist in Dallas area.
Would post a link but I'm from the rotory phone era.:QQ:
And still has its supercharger installed.

rockne10
02-19-2017, 01:44 PM
I see three currently on that list.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/search/cta?query=1957+Packard

57pack
02-19-2017, 03:25 PM
Wow! I didn't see the blue green wagon as well.
I spotted the wagon with the flat tire.

StudeRich
02-19-2017, 03:48 PM
I think the Turquoise GREEN '57 Clipper Country Sedan is the winner of the 3!

The clue to Green vs Blue if you can't tell, is always the Interior, it's clearly GREEN.

But of course the White one with the Sedan parts car and all those NOS parts is a very good deal also.

And the Tiara Gold and White OVERDRIVE one too, it's just that they are a bit pricey.

The Cool Roof Racks must have been Standard on these, as they all seem to have them and I see it is not called out as an Option on PO's.

BobPalma
02-19-2017, 05:21 PM
:woot: Wow! One of them is stick overdrive.'Way cool. :cool: BP

raoul5788
02-19-2017, 05:36 PM
I think the Turquoise GREEN '57 Clipper Country Sedan is the winner of the 3!

The clue to Green vs Blue if you can't tell, is always the Interior, it's clearly GREEN.

But of course the White one with the Sedan parts car and all those NOS parts is a very good deal also.

And the Tiara Gold and White OVERDRIVE one too, it's just that they are a bit pricey.

The Cool Roof Racks must have been Standard on these, as they all seem to have them and I see it is not called out as an Option on PO's.

The racks weren't standard, mine didn't come with one. They must have been dealer add ons.

StudeRich
02-19-2017, 06:26 PM
The racks weren't standard, mine didn't come with one. They must have been dealer add ons.

Have you seen your Production Order to verify that it was not deleted and or know if it ALWAYS was missing from New?

I have Pictures of 10 '57 & '58 Packard Wagons, 8 of the 10 Have Racks, and 2 '58's have none, that would be an unusually Large Number of Dealer add-ons!

It seems almost ALL '57-'58 Clippers & Packards have the Wonderbar Radio also, but those WERE called out as extra cost options, but must have been Factory Recommended for Dealer & Zone Office Orders to keep the Old Detroit Packard tradition going, since the '55 & '56's mostly all had them.

It could be that only Special Ordered by the customer, Cars had no Wonderbars or Roof Racks. :ohmy:

raoul5788
02-19-2017, 08:42 PM
Have you seen your Production Order to verify that it was not deleted and or know if it ALWAYS was missing from New?

I have Pictures of 10 '57 & '58 Packard Wagons, 8 of the 10 Have Racks, and 2 '58's have none, that would be an unusually Large Number of Dealer add-ons!

It seems almost ALL '57-'58 Clippers & Packards have the Wonderbar Radio also, but those WERE called out as extra cost options, but must have been Factory Recommended for Dealer & Zone Office Orders to keep the Old Detroit Packard tradition going, since the '55 & '56's mostly all had them.

It could be that only Special Ordered by the customer, Cars had no Wonderbars or Roof Racks. :ohmy:

Mine came with the radio, without the rack. I'll dig up the production order, but IIRC, there was no delete for the roof rack.

raoul5788
02-19-2017, 08:47 PM
Not the best copy, but here it is:62241

jackb
02-20-2017, 07:41 AM
Unless you really love these designs.... I 'm having trouble wrapping around these....? I'd venture these cars wouldn't be destined for daily driver status @ $10K + ? So, my reckoning to do things "right", would run you $30K-40K..... These are essentially complete teardowns and full replacement of all systems. Shortcuts ? Backyard bodymen ? Help me out here... I hear you that you "really" love the style... but reality check ?!? WHat is the "real" value of these wagons now ? Not BJ or Mecums floor shows....

Buzzard
02-20-2017, 09:42 AM
Like Chip, mine has Wonderbar but NO rack. I don't have PO here but am sure that is the way it was delivered. As per jack B, why didn't you chime in BEFORE I sunk gazillions into it? I didn't realize all my efforts to bring back such a rareity were fruitless.
Bill

PackardV8
02-20-2017, 10:09 AM
why didn't you chime in BEFORE I sunk gazillions into it? I didn't realize all my efforts to bring back such a rareity were fruitless. Bill

I've seen the photos of Bill and Sonja's project '57 Packard wagon and it's going to be a beauty. A local Stude guy restored a '57 Packard wagon and from then on, I thought it's one of the few 4-door Studes I'd care to own. (The '50 Land Cruiser being another.) However, it's seldom-to-never any Studebaker selling for more than the cost of a professional restoration.

Bottom line - getting married and/or having children seldom is a positive economic investment. A guy would be way money ahead to never do either, so maybe, it's not always about dollars and sense.

jack vines

raoul5788
02-20-2017, 02:02 PM
When I got mine everything was there, everything needed at least something. I decided to do a full resto on it. A local chapter member did the body and paint, another local shop the interior. I did much of the mechanicals short of the engine rebuild which a third local shop did. I probably ended up at right about $25k.

57pack
02-20-2017, 04:43 PM
I'm knee deep already into my wagon, still doesn't look like much...yet. But by the very least it now runs! Something it didn't do when I drug it home.
I also did the marriage, mortgage, three kids thing. Could've had more money if I didn't but, wouldn't had three great kids and four grandkids.
So the Packard will some day look and run great and I will have less money. But I'll have a unique car!

raoul5788
02-20-2017, 05:54 PM
Unless you really love these designs.... I 'm having trouble wrapping around these....? I'd venture these cars wouldn't be destined for daily driver status @ $10K + ? So, my reckoning to do things "right", would run you $30K-40K..... These are essentially complete teardowns and full replacement of all systems. Shortcuts ? Backyard bodymen ? Help me out here... I hear you that you "really" love the style... but reality check ?!? What is the "real" value of these wagons now ? Not BJ or Mecums floor shows....

Hard to say what I would get for mine. Few of them sell that are as nice as mine, but I've never seen one like mine in a normal place like eBay. Carini's was nicer, but not as correct as mine, something most collectors wouldn't care about. He got $48k for his IIRC, but he paid $54k. I'd never sell it at an auction like BJ or Mecum. Most that I have seen that are close to mine are in the low 20k range. As I mentioned, I have about $25k into mine.

rockne10
02-20-2017, 06:09 PM
Bottom line - getting married and/or having children seldom is a positive economic investment. A guy would be way money ahead to never do either, so maybe, it's not always about dollars and sense.

jack vines.....:!:.....

58PackardWagon
02-20-2017, 08:15 PM
My 57 wagon has darn near every option except the roof rack. I have two 58 wagons, the one with the roof rack has a wonderbar radio. The one without the roof rack is a solid color, no wonderbar and it has a crank up antenna in the front fender. They came in all forms.

S2Deluxe
02-20-2017, 09:07 PM
I'm knee deep already into my wagon, still doesn't look like much...yet. But by the very least it now runs! Something it didn't do when I drug it home.
I also did the marriage, mortgage, three kids thing. Could've had more money if I didn't but, wouldn't had three great kids and four grandkids.
So the Packard will some day look and run great and I will have less money. But I'll have a unique car!

It all will provide you with a sense of pride, joy & satisfaction you would never have gotten from any of the money, even if you still had it!

Mark