PDA

View Full Version : prepping for South Bend

1954khardtop
02-19-2017, 08:52 AM
Hi all,
The longer days and warmer temps have got me motivated to get out to the garage. I just finished replacing the hoses on the Saginaw power steering in my '54 K. If you've ever done it you know what a PITA it is. The connections on the control valve on the underside of the top of the box are almost impossible to get at. I ended up taking out the battery and tray to gain access from the top, and loosening and sliding up the collar around the steering mast to gain a visual and access from inside the car.
Just got done checking for leaks and purging the air from the lines, all good! I'll feel much better making the 700 mile trip to SB this May now that the 60 year old hoses have been replaced.

JoeHall
02-19-2017, 12:07 PM
Hopefully you did not throw away the old hoses. Some of the re-pops nowadays are questionable, at best, and have failed shortly after installation.

1954khardtop
02-19-2017, 12:55 PM
Joe,
They were not leaking, but had cracks in the outer layer. I'll keep them for spares. The ones I put on were n.o.s.

JoeHall
02-19-2017, 12:59 PM
Joe,
They were not leaking, but had cracks in the outer layer. I'll keep them for spares. The ones I put on were n.o.s.
Good to hear you were lucky enough to find NOS! Wish I could find a set of NOS for the 62GT. The hoses are in need of replacement, but rather than take a chance on repro, I have just left them alone.

kmul221
02-19-2017, 01:03 PM
Take them off & get a hydrolic shop to duplicate them.Warning they are hard to get off & on & it's a messy job !

52 Ragtop
02-19-2017, 09:41 PM
The hose is the easy part! The fittings are the hard part! I have had a few of teh fittings made up. I can also crimp the P/S Hose, I won't do the later style, the repros are a lot cheaper than I would do them for.

Jim