PDA

View Full Version : What is the lump in the very back of the trunk compartment on my Hawk for???

cabforward
02-19-2017, 12:51 AM
The one I am talking about is a tear drop and is next to the trunk latch. I was wondering if a light was planned and was not put into production after the stamping was modified?? . just noticed it when replacing my trunk pan. Might be a spacer to keep tire off of the latch???

rkapteyn
02-19-2017, 06:13 AM
What year Hawk?

altair
02-19-2017, 09:50 AM
I don't know anything about a Hawk but the stamping may be for rigidity of the floor??

swvalcon
02-19-2017, 10:43 AM
Are you talking about the one just to the right of center on the trunk floor it's self? If so that is where the spare tire goes. Tire sits right over that.

StudeRich
02-19-2017, 12:58 PM
I think he is talking about the bulge in the rear trunk wall of some years of C & K Models.
Everything has a reason, but that one I am not sure exactly what it is.

rockne10
02-19-2017, 01:54 PM
A photo would help.

r1lark
02-19-2017, 02:15 PM
A photo would help.

I was just getting ready to comment on that. One photo would have made this SOOOOOOO much easier! :ohmy:

Lou Van Anne
02-19-2017, 04:24 PM
Yes! It isn't difficult.
I was just getting ready to comment on that. One photo would have made this SOOOOOOO much easier! :ohmy:

cabforward
02-19-2017, 07:33 PM
You are correct. it is at the rear of the trunk. it is not the spare tire bulge with threaded hole. my donor 55 commander trunk pan has it. My skyhawk has it. I am thinking most all hawks have it. Teardrop shap next to trunk latch late. I will try to get picture. Did not mean to make people mad because no picture.

I think he is talking about the bulge in the rear trunk wall of some years of C & K Models.
Everything has a reason, but that one I am not sure exactly what it is.

Lou Van Anne
02-19-2017, 09:06 PM
Just looked at mine and now understand.....a secret location for running drugs?

rockne10
02-20-2017, 06:27 PM
Did not mean to make people mad because no picture.I assure you, no one is mad. We've just been here long enough to have seen many inquiries about "what is this", while the simplest description of "this" amounts to a photo. "Worth a thousand words" so to speak. ;)

clarkwd
02-20-2017, 08:39 PM
This is the trunk of a 53 hardtop.
I'm guessing the bump may be to locate the spare tire, but you never know.

Curious on other opinions.
Bill

rockne10
02-20-2017, 11:08 PM
Curiously, now that the culprit in question is photographically identified, exemplified as well in my '53 Coupe, I can see absolutely no functional or structural application.

Jeff_H
02-21-2017, 08:21 AM
I've always figured it was to help position the spare. If you look at it with the spare in place, it makes kind of a flat area for the tire to rub on and keep it from moving around. I think this would be more noticeable with a original type bias tire as compared to the photo of that radial.

I've got a "semi-donut" spare in my '53. Its about normal diameter but thinner. Intrudes less in the trunk for more luggage room. Came from a lincoln town car. I don't use the big hold-down disk but rather ran the hold-down bolt through one of the lug nut holes. That shifts the wheel closer to the back and it sets nice and snug up against that bulged spot.

If its not for locating or securing the spare, I have no idea what it would be for as there is nothing inside the rear box section of the body or way to get inside there. The factory accessory trunk light mounts to the underside of the lid above the lock and the better place for it to light up the inside in the dark.

8E45E
02-21-2017, 08:28 AM
Curiously, now that the culprit in question is photographically identified, exemplified as well in my '53 Coupe, I can see absolutely no functional or structural application.

I'm certain it is for that reason.

But a few '53 body panels had stampings in them for items that never appeared in production, such as the second interior door handle on C/K models.

Craig

clarkwd
02-21-2017, 06:43 PM
One of the cars I'm building now has the very rare drive-in theater door handle.
And like he said, the sheet metal was all prepped for it, all it needed was some hardware.
Bill

raoul5788
02-21-2017, 09:11 PM
One of the cars I'm building now has the very rare drive-in theater door handle.
And like he said, the sheet metal was all prepped for it, all it needed was some hardware.
Bill

Is that original Bill? I've never seen or heard of it before.

clarkwd
02-22-2017, 02:20 PM
As far as I know, the doors on the CKs all came with the sheet metal stamped at the back of the door ready to mount a door handle. Looks like one of those options that never happened. There are no weld nuts in the door. Its just stamped out. I always thought it would be cool to mount a door handle back there so I put in the nuts and welded a tab on the lock rod. If I'm ever in the back seat at the drive-in I'll be able to get out without crawling over the back of the seat.
Bill

8E45E
02-22-2017, 04:45 PM
Thanks!

I've always wondered how it would look with a second handle in place as designed.

Craig

StudeRich
02-22-2017, 07:27 PM
Well Studebaker always was accused of being "Ahead of the Times", so in this case they were even ahead of THEMSELVES!

They had provisions for things that they only THOUGHT might happen! :ohmy:

So NOW we know what the Bulge in the Trunk Wall was for.
It was an early plan for Accident Protection before 5 MPH Bumpers, they were going to fill it with explosive Gas so the offender who hits you in the rear would get Blown back, preventing any deeper damage! :woot:

8E45E
02-22-2017, 07:58 PM
they were going to fill it with explosive Gas so the offender who hits you in the rear would get Blown back, preventing any deeper damage!

I think you mean a little bag of Sodium Azide.

Craig