PDA

View Full Version : Was there a Packard Hawk convertible?

RDWEAVER
02-18-2017, 05:17 PM
I had somebody tell me the other day he had seen a Packard Hawk convertible at one time. Can anybody confirm this? I don't think any were produced or at least I have never seen any numbers confirming this. But he seems to be quite certain he saw this automobile in person somewhere.

Lou Van Anne
02-18-2017, 05:24 PM
No, not made by the factory.

Dwight FitzSimons
02-18-2017, 05:27 PM
Someone built one. I recently saw pictures of it, but can't recall where. I'll look.
-Dwight

RDWEAVER
02-18-2017, 05:33 PM
He said he thought it was in the Dayton Packard Museum.

Studebaker Wheel
02-18-2017, 06:21 PM
- - - Updated - - -

Yes, it is in the Packard Museum. No, it is not an original convertible. Serial 58LS 1376 body 58L K9 383. The museum is aware that it is not an original factory built car.

8E45E
02-18-2017, 06:24 PM
I recently saw pictures of it, but can't recall where. I'll look.

Probably here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?46216-Interesting-PH-in-Ohio-museum&highlight=dayton

Or here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?5396-Packard-Hawk-ragtop&highlight=packard+hawk+convertible

Craig

RDWEAVER
02-18-2017, 07:35 PM
I wonder how much work was needed on the frame to keep if from flexing down in the middle? The car without the top is got to be weak in the frame.

SN-60
02-19-2017, 09:07 AM
And one of the rare twenty seven or so stick O/D models!!:!:......Studebaker-Packard really should have built a few PH convertibles....Imagine what true factory jobs would be worth today!!! :woot:

S2Deluxe
02-19-2017, 07:45 PM
And one of the rare twenty seven or so stick O/D models!!:!:......Studebaker-Packard really should have built a few PH convertibles....Imagine what true factory jobs would be worth today!!! :woot:

What's the factory prototype '54 convertible worth? I don't remember, whether it was a stick O/D or an automatic? I'd guess, it was probably an automatic but I'm not absolutely certain? What's a factory stick O/D Speedster worth and what would the value be if they'd made one that was a convertible? I guess, there are just some things that will never be known! What would one be worth if it was made by someone other than the factory? This at least seems it could have been, or if not possibly could be, established at some point? When was it last sold and what price was paid for this Packard Hawk? I remember reading something once, seems like it was in T'W' some time ago, about one of the presidents of Studebaker Corporation, having a Packard Hawk prototype for his own personal vehicle? I'm shure that couldn't have any possible connection to this car.

Mark

Studebaker Wheel
02-19-2017, 08:01 PM
Just ask Ed Reynolds what it (the '54) would be worth, he would know as he bought it a few years ago.

S2Deluxe
02-20-2017, 09:06 AM
Just ask Ed Reynolds what it (the '54) would be worth, he would know as he bought it a few years ago.

I thought that's what I was doing, am I wrong? I'd certainly appreciate what ever thoughts, information, experiences and/or speculation he or others may have and are willing to share, on whichever of these convertible variations they might pertain to? Does the '54 have a body tag? Does it read 5H Q5-1? Is anyone willing to share what their own fantasy convertible version is and what they might actually spend, if they were able to get it?

Mark

8E45E
02-20-2017, 09:23 AM
Does the '54 have a body tag? Does it read 5H Q5-1?

Answer in Post #52 here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?44490-Any-knowledge-about-the-53-convert-prototype/page2

Craig

S2Deluxe
02-20-2017, 10:36 AM
Answer in Post #52 here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?44490-Any-knowledge-about-the-53-convert-prototype/page2

Craig

Thanks Craig.

Mark

studegary
02-20-2017, 01:05 PM
This is what I posted in 2010;
"I saw the prototype several times when it was still in South Bend. It was built as a 1953 model and later it was changed (by Studebaker) into a 1954 model and got a color change at that time. It had the wire wheel cover option (like on Speedsters). It had a normal 1953 Starliner interior - no buckets. It never had body or serial number plates."

packardHawk58
02-21-2017, 04:32 AM
Can the prototype ever be licensed since it doesn't have a vin tag?
Or will it remain a museum piece for all its life.

Skip Lackie
02-21-2017, 07:16 AM

In the US, it depends on the state. Some states make it very difficult to register a vehicle without a VIN and/or a title. Others will accept a valid bill of sale, but may require a police examination to look for a secret serial number, and/or the posting of a bond in case the vehicle turns out to have been stolen. After a certain period of time (like a year or so), the state then affixes a state-issued serial number plate to the frame and issues a new title.

avanti1982
02-21-2017, 11:50 AM
I had somebody tell me the other day he had seen a Packard Hawk convertible at one time. Can anybody confirm this? I don't think any were produced or at least I have never seen any numbers confirming this. But he seems to be quite certain he saw this automobile in person somewhere.

my 1958 packard best car i ever had

8E45E
02-22-2017, 07:01 AM

Probably far easier than trying to licence a new prototype that never made it to production.

Saab made 27 prototypes of these 2013 9.5 SportKombi wagons, and none were certified for emissions, etc., before they got auctioned off at the bankruptcy sale:

http://jalopnik.com/how-i-made-this-saab-9-5-sportcombi-prototype-road-lega-1471197722

Craig