Was there a Packard Hawk convertible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was there a Packard Hawk convertible?

I had somebody tell me the other day he had seen a Packard Hawk convertible at one time. Can anybody confirm this? I don't think any were produced or at least I have never seen any numbers confirming this. But he seems to be quite certain he saw this automobile in person somewhere.

No, not made by the factory.
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Comment

Someone built one. I recently saw pictures of it, but can't recall where. I'll look.
      -Dwight

Comment

He said he thought it was in the Dayton Packard Museum.

Comment

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, it is in the Packard Museum. No, it is not an original convertible. Serial 58LS 1376 body 58L K9 383. The museum is aware that it is not an original factory built car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	packard hawk convert labeled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	1712555Click image for larger version

Name:	packard hawk conv p.o copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1712556
          Richard Quinn
          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post
            I recently saw pictures of it, but can't recall where. I'll look.
            Probably here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=dayton

Or here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...wk+convertible

Craig

Comment

I wonder how much work was needed on the frame to keep if from flexing down in the middle? The car without the top is got to be weak in the frame.

Comment

And one of the rare twenty seven or so stick O/D models!!......Studebaker-Packard really should have built a few PH convertibles....Imagine what true factory jobs would be worth today!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                  And one of the rare twenty seven or so stick O/D models!!......Studebaker-Packard really should have built a few PH convertibles....Imagine what true factory jobs would be worth today!!!
                  What's the factory prototype '54 convertible worth? I don't remember, whether it was a stick O/D or an automatic? I'd guess, it was probably an automatic but I'm not absolutely certain? What's a factory stick O/D Speedster worth and what would the value be if they'd made one that was a convertible? I guess, there are just some things that will never be known! What would one be worth if it was made by someone other than the factory? This at least seems it could have been, or if not possibly could be, established at some point? When was it last sold and what price was paid for this Packard Hawk? I remember reading something once, seems like it was in T'W' some time ago, about one of the presidents of Studebaker Corporation, having a Packard Hawk prototype for his own personal vehicle? I'm shure that couldn't have any possible connection to this car.

Mark
                  Last edited by S2Deluxe; 02-20-2017, 06:06 AM.
                  sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Just ask Ed Reynolds what it (the '54) would be worth, he would know as he bought it a few years ago.
                    Richard Quinn
                    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                      Just ask Ed Reynolds what it (the '54) would be worth, he would know as he bought it a few years ago.
                      I thought that's what I was doing, am I wrong? I'd certainly appreciate what ever thoughts, information, experiences and/or speculation he or others may have and are willing to share, on whichever of these convertible variations they might pertain to? Does the '54 have a body tag? Does it read 5H Q5-1? Is anyone willing to share what their own fantasy convertible version is and what they might actually spend, if they were able to get it?

Mark
                      sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Originally posted by S2Deluxe View Post
                        Does the '54 have a body tag? Does it read 5H Q5-1?
                        Answer in Post #52 here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...rototype/page2

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                          Thanks Craig.

Mark
                          sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

This is what I posted in 2010;
                            "I saw the prototype several times when it was still in South Bend. It was built as a 1953 model and later it was changed (by Studebaker) into a 1954 model and got a color change at that time. It had the wire wheel cover option (like on Speedsters). It had a normal 1953 Starliner interior - no buckets. It never had body or serial number plates."
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Can the prototype ever be licensed since it doesn't have a vin tag?
                              Or will it remain a museum piece for all its life.
                              Brian Greenall
                              Melbourne, OZ
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X