PDA

View Full Version : factory am/fm radio rarity

jwitt
02-17-2017, 05:31 AM
How rare and pricy is a factory studebaker am/fm radio? I had only seen them in brochures untill yesterday when I picked up a 64 cruiser and it has one in it!

mbstude
02-17-2017, 06:27 AM
How rare and pricy is a factory studebaker am/fm radio? I had only seen them in brochures untill yesterday when I picked up a 64 cruiser and it has one in it!

I've seen NOS ones sell for as high as $800.

jwitt
02-17-2017, 06:32 AM
Wow that radio may be worth more than I gave for the whole car. Lol

8E45E
02-17-2017, 07:01 AM
With the diminishing popularity of AM radio, which now seems to be limited to all-talk format for the most part, factory AM-FM radios from the 1960 for any make have skyrocketed in value. Of course, one can see Radio Roy and get their AM converted to also receive FM broadcasts.

Craig

Dan White
02-17-2017, 07:43 AM
I have seen some recently over $1K used, so yes they are getting really pricey!

Gunslinger
02-17-2017, 07:53 AM
I think it was a couple of years ago someone sold a NOS Avanti AM/FM for $1200.

jwitt
02-17-2017, 09:29 AM
If anyone needs one I would sell or trade this one.

61LaRk4dr
02-17-2017, 09:41 AM
If anyone needs one I would sell or trade this one.

Hello jwitt, PM Sent

swvalcon
02-17-2017, 09:45 AM
Just me but there's no music in the world I would pay $1200 for even if it was live.

kmul221
02-17-2017, 10:40 AM
I have heard the 63-64 FM radios offered did not sound anywhere near as good as what is offered today.It's true about AM radio ,nothing but talk & sports.Used to be a couple of oldies stations in the past but they seem to have packed it in.

1954khardtop
02-17-2017, 11:00 AM
I guess we're lucky around here, several oldies rock stations and one classic country station on AM. I find myself listening to AM most of the time, even though I have FM.

Dwain G.
02-17-2017, 11:26 AM
AM-FM radios of that era are mono except maybe for luxury cars. Even the one in my '74 Scamp was mono.

bezhawk
02-17-2017, 02:04 PM
The Radio Roy conversion I had done was great!. I coupled it with a Kenwood class D amplifier, and JBL component speakers. Sounded great!
https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_76498_Kenwood-KAC-M1804.html

RadioRoy
02-17-2017, 03:45 PM
I guess we're lucky around here, several oldies rock stations and one classic country station on AM. I find myself listening to AM most of the time, even though I have FM.

You are lucky. AM in the San Francisco Bay Area is sports talk, money talk, religious talk, headline news talk with no follow up, more sports talk, more money talk, Foreign language talk, and occasionally some Indian/Pakistani Bollywood music in between Indian/Pakistani talk. When I have to fix an AM radio, the programming drives me nuts. If I wasn't so busy or lazy, I would build that AM transmitter kit that has been on the shelf for ten years.

p.s. Thanks Brad! :)

jwitt
02-17-2017, 06:51 PM

Here is a pic of the radio. I hope this works

abkco
02-17-2017, 08:20 PM
Nice condition. You are a lucky guy to have it.

Bullet
02-17-2017, 08:35 PM
And it is in a Cruiser to boot. Looks great. Are you going to fix up the car?

Mark

bezhawk
02-17-2017, 08:48 PM
SI has the AM/FM dial glass. ANY AM can be converted to a good STEREO FM. Add th dial glass, and no one will know the difference when looking at it first glance.

jwitt
02-17-2017, 08:49 PM
I would like to but there's no paperwork with it and for some reason the vin plates is gone? Guy I bought it from said he saved it from the crusher and that they removed the vin tag from the car when it was brought in. I have a 66 cruiser (well what's left of it anyway) with a clean paper trail so the 64 my get turned into a 66. I hate to do that or part it out but I have no idea what the vin for the car was. It had power Drum brakes and power steering too.

bezhawk
02-17-2017, 10:20 PM
I would like to but there's no paperwork with it and for some reason the vin plates is gone? Guy I bought it from said he saved it from the crusher and that they removed the vin tag from the car when it was brought in. I have a 66 cruiser (well what's left of it anyway) with a clean paper trail so the 64 my get turned into a 66. I hate to do that or part it out but I have no idea what the vin for the car was. It had power Drum brakes and power steering too.Find the hidden vin on the rear crossmember, and make a new stainless serial # plate for the door jamb with that number.

bensherb
02-18-2017, 01:17 AM
You are lucky. AM in the San Francisco Bay Area is sports talk, money talk, religious talk, headline news talk with no follow up, more sports talk, more money talk, Foreign language talk, and occasionally some Indian/Pakistani Bollywood music in between Indian/Pakistani talk. When I have to fix an AM radio, the programming drives me nuts. If I wasn't so busy or lazy, I would build that AM transmitter kit that has been on the shelf for ten years.

p.s. Thanks Brad! :)

Here just east of the bay area FM isn't much better. One decent oldies station, an 80's headbanger station and a new country station, the rest are foreign or yap. I picked up a FM transmitter thing that plugs into the cig lighter and plays MP3's to my stock AM/FM radio, via FM. It was around $6. It's cool, I can play anything I put on a USB drive, SD card or I Pod and it sounds like 1962!

jwitt
02-18-2017, 06:08 AM
There is a hidden vin on the frame? Didn't know studebaker did that. I'll look for it later today. Thanks

8E45E
02-18-2017, 06:35 AM
There is a hidden vin on the frame? Didn't know studebaker did that. I'll look for it later today. Thanks

This is the location of it: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?68956-New-Secret-Serial-Number-Location-Or-not-per-CP&highlight=secret+serial

Craig

jwitt
02-18-2017, 06:43 AM
Thanks! I would have been looking for hours with out knowing that.

jwitt
02-18-2017, 09:58 AM
The radio actually still works! I can pick up am and fm although the tuning dial seems a little sticky. And volume is low but that could be the speaker.

1954khardtop
02-18-2017, 11:44 AM
I have RadioRoy's conversion in my '54, it works great. As soon as I travel out of range of my home AM stations I switch it over to FM.

2moredoors
02-18-2017, 11:52 AM
I have an under dash am/fm converter, originally used when fm was in its infancy and people want fm reception. The signal is from the antenna is put through the converter and fed back to the radio using a preset AM frequency. Cheap alternative to an AM?FM radio. They are available from time to time on ebay anywhere from 20 to 50 dlrs. I think I paid $15.00 for the last one I bought $50.00 for the first.

RadioRoy
02-19-2017, 12:09 PM
Here just east of the bay area FM isn't much better. One decent oldies station, an 80's headbanger station and a new country station, the rest are foreign or yap. I picked up a FM transmitter thing that plugs into the cig lighter and plays MP3's to my stock AM/FM radio, via FM. It was around $6. It's cool, I can play anything I put on a USB drive, SD card or I Pod and it sounds like 1962!

While these units that plug into the antenna have the advantage of low cost, they have the disadvantage of having all the fidelity and richness of tone as an AM radio. :)

JoeHall
02-19-2017, 12:24 PM
Speaking of conversions, about 30 years ago I sent the 56J radio off to reputable place in Florida for an expensive FM conversion, about $220 at that time. It works by turning the AM radio on a couple of minutes, then off and on quickly; a tiny red lite will appear, indicating it is on FM. It still works, but from day one, will only pick up the radio station if you can see the tower. In other words, it works about as well as the $5, pocket sized transistor radios of the 50s-60s. I probably have not turned it on half dozen times in the past 10 years. I sure hope the conversions nowadays are better than that one. LOL

RadioRoy
02-19-2017, 01:57 PM
I sure hope the conversions nowadays are better than that one. LOL

There is a world of difference. These early ones used the original radio circuitry and were very fussy to install. I bought one, but never installed it after reading the instructions. Today's units are self contained, stand alone units and only interface with the original radio's tuning coils and the volume/tone controls.

In addition, a new sheriff appeared in town about 4 years ago. This guy is a terrific engineer, is approachable and open to suggestions.

http://www.tech-retro.com/Aurora_Design/Automotive_Home.html

All the disadvantages/weaknesses of the original company's products appear to have been analyzed and fixed by the engineer/owner of Aurora Design.

Daytona
02-20-2017, 05:32 PM
What is the year of the radio?

abkco
02-20-2017, 06:10 PM
1964 Cruiser Radio

edpjr
02-20-2017, 07:07 PM
I am glad I kept the AM/FM out of the '64 GT Hawk I once owned. Someday I'll have it tested/refurbished and put in my Avanti.

qsanford
02-20-2017, 07:26 PM
Is the actual AM/FM radio itself the same for the sedan, Hawk and Avanti? I think the parts book has different numbers for each type.

Dwight FitzSimons
02-20-2017, 09:01 PM
The AM/FM radio in the Avanti used a red bulb, as opposed to clear for Lark-type and Hawk. Note that the AM/FM was new in '64; i.e., it was not available in '63.
-Dwight FitzSimons

8E45E
02-20-2017, 09:27 PM
The AM/FM radio in the Avanti used a red bulb, as opposed to clear for Lark-type and Hawk. Note that the AM/FM was new in '64; i.e., it was not available in '63.

Hawks and Lark-types also used the red bulb in 1964.

Craig

S2Deluxe
02-20-2017, 11:01 PM
Hawks and Lark-types also used the red bulb in 1964.

Craig

I seem to remember hearing something about differing dial face and knob colors as well?

Mark

Skip Lackie
02-21-2017, 07:21 AM
I believe the radios themselves were identical. The different AC part numbers were required to distinguish between the different mounting brackets, instructions, etc, in the kits.

Daytona
02-21-2017, 08:15 AM

Here is a pic of the radio. I hope this worksDo you know if it works, and how much are you selling it for?

Dwight FitzSimons
02-21-2017, 09:02 AM
I do NOT think that Hawks and Lark-types used the red bulb in the AM/FM radio. The AM radio used in '64 Hawks & Lark-types used a white bulb to match the other instruments. Why would they differ on the AM/FM in a Hawk or Lark-type? Someone please confirm this.
-Dwight FitzSimons

abkco
02-21-2017, 09:49 AM
I could be mistaken, but I have found red bulbs in my 65 Cruiser to light up the instrument gauges. The paint has flaked off a bit.

Gunslinger
02-21-2017, 10:05 AM
There are red LED bulbs available to use. They put out even light, use less voltage and less heat. There are replacement LED bulbs for practically any number bulb a 12v automobile uses. A web search will bring up any number of suppliers.

stude1964
02-21-2017, 10:34 AM
I have several AM/FM's and all have clear/ white bulbs. Even the '66's which have the black pushbuttons and black knobs have clear bulbs. I suspect they have been replaced with clear bulbs. The radios are all AC 3500 (Delco) but differ slightly in the mounting as the heat sinks in the rear need to clear the heater/defroster hoses. My Dad and I had a fun time of swapping the radio in his '64 Avanti with tilt column without removing the dash! I've had lots of 64's over the years and have seen dash gauge bulbs replaced with clear bulbs which mismatched the others. The books even show a different part number for the tachs of GT's and Larks if red bulb equipped. Of course the tachs themselves ARE different they distinguish clear OR red equipped. I put red bulbs in all my '64's just to be consistent. Remember Sherwood Egbert was into the aviation theme and red is easier to see at night without the glare.
Rob in PA.

Daytona
02-21-2017, 10:44 AM
Does it work ? What is the price?

RadioRoy
02-21-2017, 12:35 PM
I believe the radios themselves were identical. The different AC part numbers were required to distinguish between the different mounting brackets, instructions, etc, in the kits.

That is consistent with my research.

bezhawk
02-21-2017, 07:12 PM
The red lighting on the radios was NOT from a red bulb. The edge of the dial glass is painted red, and that is where the red tint comes from. Also, on Avanti clocks there is a red celophane that gives the red glow.

8E45E
02-21-2017, 07:30 PM
The red lighting on the radios was NOT from a red bulb. The edge of the dial glass is painted red, and that is where the red tint comes from. Also, on Avanti clocks there is a red celophane that gives the red glow.

The radio on my '64 Daytona had the original 57R bulb. As well the Owner's Guide does state 57R for the instruments and radio, and 1445R for the instrument lights, cigar lighter, and ignition switch.

Craig

02-21-2017, 09:06 PM
The radio on my '64 Daytona had the original 57R bulb. As well the Owner's Guide does state 57R for the instruments and radio, and 1445R for the instrument lights, cigar lighter, and ignition switch.

Craig
The bulb in the AM-FM radio in my '64 Daytona Wagonaire has been burned out for a long time, but I'm pretty sure it was red when it worked and I'm the original owner of the car.

bezhawk
02-21-2017, 09:10 PM
It doesn't make sense that the Avanti radios would be different, but nobody ever accused Studebaker of making sense.

Hawklover
09-01-2018, 11:41 AM
Sold one that needed repair for $400.00.......even when it worked it never sounded great:-(

rodnutrandy
09-01-2018, 04:53 PM
Seems like the add on FM by Audiovox back in 60s/70s may be answer without going broke . I used one and was happy with it , so much so I never sold it. They were easy to add , antenna plugged into them , had a extension that ran to am radio , and a hot wire . , push a button to turn on and tuner is on the addition . Can't say how they sound today , but was happy with it in early 70s .

RadioRoy
09-01-2018, 05:13 PM
Can't say how they sound today , but was happy with it in early 70s .

They sound just as lousy... er... just the same as they did back then. The problem I had with my Radio Shack unit was that it kept drifting off station.

StudeRich
09-03-2018, 02:19 AM
I do NOT think that Hawks and Lark-types used the red bulb in the AM/FM radio. The AM radio used in '64 Hawks & Lark-types used a white bulb to match the other instruments. Why would they differ on the AM/FM in a Hawk or Lark-type? Someone please confirm this.
-Dwight FitzSimons

Dwight, that is because all '64 Hawks, Lark Types and Avantis' used Transparent Red Bulbs with Clear "Windows" in the Gauges to not defuse the light to a gentle robin egg blue, as in all others.

Most '64's nowadays have peeled red Paint on the bulbs or have been replaced with the easier to find Clear ones.

Except Mine of course! :lol:

I do not know if all '64 AM & AM/FM Radios used a Red lens or edge lighted Dial Glass instead of a Red Bulb, but they HAD Red Light to match the '64 Instruments and switch lighting on Lark Type and Avanti.

Hawklover
09-03-2018, 10:13 AM
After replacing every red bulb in my Avanti due to a perception of dark illumination, I found the same situation after replacement..........I then discovered why the light was so darn dim...........the "light boxes" that the gauges sit in are full of dist and grime after 55 years......sadly that is a job I did want to undertake, I shall leave that effort to the next owner.