PDA

View Full Version : Body: What is this?

rbisacca
02-14-2017, 01:41 PM
62086Can anyone shed any light on this picture? My first guess is that it is a custom. However, since it is a dealership photo that seems unlikely. My other guess is an early '59 or even a prototype. I've read every SDC publication since day one and checked my parts book but have never seen a Lark with '58 style trim.

fpstude
02-14-2017, 02:19 PM
I like it. The tail lights seem lower than a normal Lark.

Mike Van Veghten
02-14-2017, 02:29 PM
Just bought a second set of rear section trim, right side on the left, left side on the right.
Pretty cheap for a bit of a "custom".

Mike

Xcalibur
02-14-2017, 02:45 PM
Yeah, Mike is probably right.

Dealers did this sort of goofy things for many reasons. For example, I was working at a Ford dealership right after I got out of the Army in early '72 waiting to get in to grad school and we had a new car delivered with two sets of holes punched in every panel... for two different model trim versions! So, the boss decided to order in all the second model trim and install it, too! :lol::lol::lol: Not nearly as successful as the more subtle job done on this Lark, I assure ya!

Bob Langer
02-14-2017, 03:25 PM
62086Can anyone shed any light on this picture? My first guess is that it is a custom. However, since it is a dealership photo that seems unlikely. My other guess is an early '59 or even a prototype. I've read every SDC publication since day one and checked my parts book but have never seen a Lark with '58 style trim.

Studebaker News August 1959

r1lark
02-14-2017, 04:34 PM
That dealership was not too far from my family's dealership in Merrick. In fact, I think they bought out Dale's parts inventory when they stopped selling Studebakers, but I'll have to see if I can find anything in the records to confirm that.

rockne10
02-14-2017, 06:21 PM
Michael Pink's Lark in Australia wears this dress. It's stunning. Should have been a factory option, IMO.

SN-60
02-14-2017, 06:36 PM
Studebaker should have offered this as an option! :!:

StudeRich
02-15-2017, 01:57 AM
It gives a whole Different look though on the Pink's '61 Long Wheelbase Cruiser 4 Door.

My Dad sold a Guy a New '59 Lark VIII Regal 4 door, and he ordered the extra rear quarter Mouldings and just put them on it without any two Tone, and that also looked very good.

PackardV8
02-15-2017, 11:54 AM
Add whitewalls and two-tone custom trim on a base 2-door sedan. Then, the dealership could sell custom seatcovers, mirrors, radio, floor mats, tissue dispenser, gas filler door trim and probably make more profit than they'd have made on the just the base car.

jack vines

skyway
02-15-2017, 12:39 PM
...so somebody actually MISSED the 1958 sedan tailfins?

57pack
02-15-2017, 02:44 PM
Love Dales Studebaker sign! Would look great on the side of my garage. Turn that sign on and light up the neighborhood!

BobPalma
02-15-2017, 06:15 PM
Michael Pink's Lark in Australia wears this dress. It's stunning. Should have been a factory option, IMO.

;) A possibility, Brad, but one that was undoubtedly nixed in the interest of being able to build those cars as fast as possible.

If you remember, the earliest 1959 Lark brochure shows a Tahiti Coral 4-door sedan with a white painted roof, so they were undoubtedly thinking about a two-tone option. After all, there were still plenty of two-tone cars from other manufacturers, if not most of them.

But for Studebaker in 1959, it made sense to not offer two-tone paint so they could build as many cars as possible. (That's my theory and I'm sticking to it...:D) :cool: BP