PDA

View Full Version : V-8 Front brake shoes

starliner62
02-14-2017, 07:53 AM
With what seems to be a shortage of front brake shoes for our V-8 cars, is there anyone buying cores?
I have access to quite a few parts cars and they may have good cores on them . It will be a little labor intensive, but if it is worth it for some of our vendors to have access to good cores, I won't mind spending some time to get them.

jclary
02-14-2017, 08:28 AM
I suppose it is like our carburetor equipped engines, with their outdated single coil, mechanical distributors. Good parts are becoming more scarce. Discs brake systems are obsoleting drum brakes, and a dwindling market to sustain profitability. There was a time, that within a twenty mile radius of me, no less than three shops were servicing and rebuilding older brake drum style shoes. The only requirement was that the used shoes could not have any damage from metal to metal contact.

Now, I know of only one shop, and if you arrive at a time when they are not in a good mood, you will be turned away or treated badly for daring to approach them with anything less than a truckload of parts from one of their large truck fleet customers.

It would be nice if someone with the skills and tools would offer the service, but it looks like shipping, communication difficulties, volume, and costs, would require a price too steep for any shop and customers to meet in a satisfactory way. If it happens, it will truly take dedication and understanding beyond what we normally see.

TX Rebel
02-14-2017, 08:37 AM
Some vendors may buy cores, but they are not very valuable since SI began selling new V8 front re-pop shoes w/o exch. There was never any demand for 9" & 10" '54 & later cores. If the drums are worth pulling, save the shoes, but they will probably sell for $5-10 /set. Shoes are not hard to get, but good drums are in demand due to the high cost of NOS or repro drums, when available. Even at Naugle's sale, good drums were not plentiful. It IS worth your while to save the '63 & later complete brake assemblies with self-adjusting hdwe. since they make a nice bolt-up retro-fit for earlier models.

TWChamp
02-14-2017, 11:35 AM
I would save any good cores. I've drilled, countersunk, and riveted my own linings, and it isn't that hard to do.

I've seen cores turned down if the shoe just barely touched the drum, and that's nuts because in real life we know it won't hurt at thing.

karterfred88
02-14-2017, 04:01 PM
Will cost you more to ship them than they are worth. Keep them in case you need them in the future or offer them to someone needing cores. Most "future" shoes will be on an exchange basis only as there is so little market for drum brake parts except on trucks, some specialty shop will put linings on your shoes--in China with one day shipping included. Drums replaced with disc-drums, then disc-disc, now regenerative motors to charge and slow down electric cars. Another little piece of the many of automotive parts being lost to "advances" in technology,

BRUCESTUDE
02-14-2017, 09:59 PM
My last 3 Stude brake jobs included sending out the old shoes to a commercial brake shop in Seattle for relining; the cost seemed reasonable. This was actually a necessity as FLAPS no longer have them.

Hallabutt
02-15-2017, 02:39 AM
As I mentioned recently, big problem is the crappy, hard material used to reline the cores. The new stuff simply doesn't stop well enough for cars designed with four wheel drum brakes. I look for used linings that I believe are more then thirty years old, and that have the old lining material. I have two boxes of misc. lining material salvaged from an of independent parts dealer when they closed their doors more then twenty years ago, but haven't found a sure way of identifying any of it.

jerezstude
02-15-2017, 05:51 AM
I buy all the NOS brake lining I can find. Several years ago my newly restored Speedster would just not stop no matter what I tried. Finally replaced replacement lining with NOS, read Asbestos, and the first time I tried the brakes they almost through me through windshield. I never have had to pay more then $10 for NOS lining or shoes. I probably have bought enough to last several lifetimes for all my cars.

Jerry Kurtz

jackb
02-15-2017, 07:25 AM
just reline your front brakes now and never look back in your lifetime... or anyone else driving your vehicle...

rkapteyn
02-15-2017, 07:35 AM
If you go to the Studebaker swap page you will se Don Novak ,who relines shoes.
http://www.studebakerswap.com/swap/showads.php

Robert Kapteyn