PDA

View Full Version : 57 Packard Clipper Hood Question

packardly8
02-13-2017, 07:54 PM
I've owned my 57 Packard Clipper Town Sedan for 3 years, and love it. One issue I have with it is the weight of the hood. I've owned many cars since I started driving in 1954, and have rarely encountered a hood as heavy as this one. Once in the "up" position the swivel "prop" rod holds OK, but I never trust it alone; I use an additional portable adjustable one from the auto parts store along with it. No real problem.

There are two small springs, called "hood hinge tie rod tensioners" that are in place, as shown in the parts manual. Are these supposed to help lessen the weight of the hood when lifted ? and, has anyone ever designed an aftermarket spring or other system to make the hood easier to lift for the models designed this way ? Input appreciated.

Studebakercenteroforegon
02-13-2017, 08:29 PM
You need to lift the hood on a '56 - '61 Hawk and you will think your hood is quite light by comparison.

jrlemke
02-13-2017, 08:38 PM
I'll second that! -Jim

57pack
02-13-2017, 08:46 PM
There are supposed to be four hood springs on your Packard. Two heavy springs located in the back of the hinges which extend down and attach to the cowl.
Then there are two lighter springs which attach to the hood cross bar and fasten to the inner fenders.
Not enough to make the hood stay up but makes it a bit easier to open the hood.

StudeRich
02-13-2017, 08:51 PM
Your missing Springs are what help to Pull the Hood FORWARD, as you should also be doing when opening it, yes '56-'58 Sedan and Wagon Hoods are Very Light compared to Hawks and all C & K Models, even '64 -'66 Lark Types are heavier.

58PackardWagon
02-14-2017, 12:15 AM
Call Jim Bahr at Wisconsin Studebaker. I sold him three 57 Packard parts cars, all of which had what you are looking for. He is a great guy to work with.

packardly8
02-14-2017, 11:53 AM
Thanks for all the info. I've looked at the engine compartment of my car and the parts manual and it appears that I'm missing one pair of springs. I'll follow your recommendations to acquire them. I appreciate this very fine forum, and your input.

packardly8
02-14-2017, 12:46 PM
I've just reviewed the procedure for removing the hood in the Shop Manual. The instructions and photos only show one set of springs attached to the hinge tie rod (on Page 2). Where do the second set of springs attach ? I find no diagrams or photos showing this. I have looked at engine photos posted on the internet of 57 Clippers, and some of them have no springs. I'm guessing that when the springs have broken, many people don't even replace them; must feel really heavy.

57pack
02-14-2017, 02:49 PM
In this photo you can see the lighter spring that attaches to the hood cross rod to the inner fender.
If you look real close you can see the very top of the rear spring (heavy) that attaches to the rear of the hinge.
It then passes through the opening of the rear inner fender and attaches to a welded hook attachment on the cowl.
Hard to see as the fresh air vent assembly blocks the view.

packardly8
02-14-2017, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the photo. I've ordered some new springs; we'll see what happens. I assume that all of the springs can be removed and placed without disconnecting the hood tie rod, or any other parts. Am I correct ?

57pack
02-14-2017, 10:45 PM
Hello, yes,no need to remove hood tie rod. Now the rear spring which is heavier is a bit tougher. You have to hook the spring on the hinge with it hanging down into the fender. Than reaching up from below with a pair of vise grips grab the lower spring hook, pull down and hook over the lower spring mount. Think you may have have to remove that splash shield for access.

packardly8
02-15-2017, 12:19 PM
Thanks for that specific info on how to attach the springs, and for everyone's input !

R3 challenger
02-15-2017, 01:08 PM
I agree. And the hoods of the 1957 / 1958 Golden Hawks are probably the heaviest of the Hawk hoods; the fiberglass overlay adds a few more pounds.

George

You need to lift the hood on a '56 - '61 Hawk and you will think your hood is quite light by comparison.

SN-60
02-15-2017, 03:08 PM
Your missing Springs are what help to Pull the Hood FORWARD, as you should also be doing when opening it, yes '56-'58 Sedan and Wagon Hoods are Very Light compared to Hawks and all C & K Models, even '64 -'66 Lark Types are heavier.

That's right Rich!....I know that on C/K's anyway, if those 'pull forward' springs are weak or missing, the effort to open the hood increases dramatically! :eek: