PDA

View Full Version : '53 Commander coupe VIN plate photograph please

rayoung55
02-13-2017, 03:58 PM
We just purchased a '53 Commander coupe. The VIN plate located on the left door jamb was painted. We got the paint off, but would like a picture so we know what the plate looked like from the factory. Please post a picture here, or email it to me at wyostude@gmail.com.

Thanks!

rockne10
02-13-2017, 04:48 PM
Not sure how it will help but, as long as you're not cloning; 62062 This is a South Bend production.

Jeff_H
02-13-2017, 06:35 PM
There is or was a decal available to replace the likely missing black painted area. Different vendors have offered those over the years, not sure where to get one now but someone will know. The S/N is the only stamped part on there, the rest is just painted in so a decal works well.

BTW, that's a interesting solution rockne10 to keeping the dome light off if the door is left open for long periods! Years ago bought a used pickup and the driver side dome light switch didn't work. Got a new one and when I went to replace it I found out the prior owner had unplugged the harness for some reason. The old switch was fine but put in the new one since it was not returnable.

SN-60
02-13-2017, 06:51 PM
[QUOTE=Jeff_H;

BTW, that's a interesting solution rockne10 to keeping the dome light off if the door is left open for long periods! Years ago bought a used pickup and the driver side dome light switch didn't work. Got a new one and when I went to replace it I found out the prior owner had unplugged the harness for some reason. The old switch was fine but put in the new one since it was not returnable.[/QUOTE]

That is a good idea!...Actually, as simple as those 'stops' are to cobble up, JC Whitney used to have them for sale in their old catalogs! :woot:

alanmende
02-16-2017, 09:30 AM
Hi Ray,

If you send me a self-addressed, stamped envelope, I'll send you a couple of decals for restoring your VIN plate. My address is 306 Manada Gap Road, Grantville, PA 17028-8824.

clarkwd
02-16-2017, 08:54 PM
That dome light switch is for the drive in theater or for when you are out parking. So you can get out without turning on the dome light.
Bill

rayoung55
02-18-2017, 11:27 PM
Allen,

Thanks for the wonderful offer! I'll get the letter mailed on Monday. Dakotas SDC is involved in a huge car show in Rapid City this weekend. It's been a little busy.

Thanks,

Rob

alanmende
02-24-2017, 02:39 PM
Hi Rob,

The decals are in the mail. Hope they work well for you.