PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Studebaker, Jim Bahr's collection (photo link provided)

Milaca
02-12-2017, 07:37 PM
On Saturday, I drove the 2-1/2 hours to Jim Bahr's Studebaker Farm (Wisconsin Studebaker) to purchase a pair of NOS 259 crankshafts. We visited for quite some time and he let me tour his yard. I asked if I could share photos of his collection here and he said he would be fine with that, so here are a few photos. FYI, he doesn't currently have internet so you must call him with any part requests.

Google Photos is being a pain in my trump. Try this link: https://goo.gl/photos/NpCRKeGBGFUH8T6n8

Milaca
02-12-2017, 07:57 PM
He has many Studebakers in a large shed also, but they are packed in there tight so I didn't try to photograph them.
He mentioned that he may have an auction next year (2018) to reduce his collection, so start saving your Studebaker money now!

63avanti.
02-12-2017, 08:53 PM
Wow! Great collection. Kind of sad to see so many sitting outside in the elements but still cool!

I myself wouldn't mind having the 63 avanti. Would make for quite the project.

S2Deluxe
02-12-2017, 09:23 PM
I get only 1 photo, of what looks like a '53 - '55 Rregal C body & a 58 Scotsman sitting in the snow. Am I the only one that this is happening to? Am I doing something wrong or is there some other reason?

Mark

63avanti.
02-12-2017, 09:31 PM
Same here.. I got the first post to upload then I came back into the thread and nothing.. All blank boxes

DieselJim
02-12-2017, 10:20 PM
All I get are the little x.

61Lark
02-12-2017, 11:29 PM
I was hoping to see a picture of my old Champ! Is there anyway you could reload the pictures? There was another thread recently that had the same issue using Google Photo.

Nick

doug
02-12-2017, 11:33 PM
Get captions but no pictures.

HAWK64
02-13-2017, 01:17 AM
All I get are the little x.

Same. I only receive the small x's.

dleroux
02-13-2017, 02:34 AM
No pictures of anything

jts359
02-13-2017, 05:49 AM
must be a bad antenna

bumpkinvilledano
02-13-2017, 06:54 AM
Aliens stoled the pictures.

Dang ole aliens.

jclary
02-13-2017, 07:17 AM
Aliens stoled the pictures.

Dang ole aliens.

Is the PC term "undocumented extraterrestrials?":rolleyes:

(I don't see any stinking pics either:QQ:)

acolds
02-13-2017, 09:06 AM
Must be classified or above my security level now that I have retired no pics here

Milaca
02-13-2017, 09:38 AM
I am currently away from home and am on my work computer, and I too cannot see any photos. What is up with Google photos? I will look into it tonight.

Jeff_H
02-13-2017, 10:52 AM
Same here, no pix... Firefox 41.0.2 shows nothing at all and IE 11 shows little boxes with X in them.

Warren Webb
02-13-2017, 11:06 AM
Nothing here either. All I see are circles with a dash in the middle where the pictures should be.

studeclunker
02-13-2017, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the effort of posting this, even though I too see nothing but empty boxes. Must have been quite a day for you.

TWChamp
02-13-2017, 11:34 AM
Wouldn't need any pictures if you'd have taken me along. LOL

I was just east of there a couple years ago buying some Studebaker parts, but didn't have the address for this yard.
I've since learned to put the address in the ash tray so I have it when I head out for parts.

StudeRich
02-13-2017, 12:57 PM
LOTS of Gray circles with (-) dashes in them as Warren said, they will not Open, are these Jpeg, JPG Photos?
The space they take is HUGE, maybe that is because they are too large. :(

abkco
02-13-2017, 01:04 PM
Isn't there a limit to the size or amount of pictures that can loaded by any one person at one time? Too bad, because I would love to see more pictures of these treasures.

ddub
02-13-2017, 02:13 PM
Same problem as the 440 Packard thread.

Milaca
02-13-2017, 07:32 PM
I went into my Google Photos account page and deselected 'Share' for the Wisconsin Studebaker album, then reposted each photo here. Before doing so, I could only see the photos on the forum while I was logged into my Google account. Seems backwards that I would select NOT to share, and now you can see them. Good times...

Okay, I just logged out of my Google account, and now I see that some photos still do not appear. I GIVE UP!!!

SN-60
02-13-2017, 07:36 PM
I got all the photos....and they're just GREAT!!....Thanks for taking the time to post them! :!!:

acolds
02-13-2017, 07:49 PM
I can see them now like the 58 Packard hardtop and the Kaiser which looks like two door

61Lark
02-13-2017, 07:56 PM
Thanks for posting the pictures, Brent. It was nice to see the old Champ. If he has an auction next year there is a 64 Commander I'd be interested.

Nick

Jeff_H
02-13-2017, 08:03 PM
Brent, thanks for fixing those pix.

I see a '63 lark sedan parts car I sold Jim around 2005 in one of the photos. Came from the Jamestown, ND area. The crunched in RF door is a hard clue!

jg61hawk
02-13-2017, 08:19 PM
Maybe it's the booze Marge, or maybe it's the booze Marge..... but those pictures make me think some of them there Studebakers look like old folks in a nursing home, kind of looking out and saying, "Please take me out for a walk"...but in their case they mean "take me out for a hot rod... old time flooring it... Studebaker kickin some butt drive!"

swvalcon
02-13-2017, 08:56 PM
All I'am getting is the first picture of the horse drawn wagon.

bumpkinvilledano
02-13-2017, 09:15 PM
All I'am getting is the first picture of the horse drawn wagon.

Same here. Using Firefox.

(I still think it's aliens):eek:

Milaca
02-13-2017, 09:27 PM
Try this link: https://goo.gl/photos/NpCRKeGBGFUH8T6n8
It probably wont work as nothing else I try works with Google Photos. :(

bumpkinvilledano
02-13-2017, 10:23 PM
It probably wont work as nothing else I try works with Google Photos. :(

Persistence pays off, can see them now.

Heck of a collection. I would be up to attend the auction if it happens.

studeclunker
02-13-2017, 10:26 PM
:!!:Wow! Look at all those Transtars and Champs!https://s.yimg.com/ok/u/assets/img/emoticons/emo47.gif Not that I could afford any of them or the trip to get them, much like the Naugle sale in Vail Az. But I can drool, can't I?

DieselJim
02-13-2017, 10:27 PM
It probably wont work as nothing else I try works with Google Photos. :(Worked for me. Thanks.

kurtruk
02-13-2017, 11:04 PM
Wow. No idea he had all that. So what's in the building? :)

58PackardWagon
02-13-2017, 11:50 PM
Jim is a great guy. I sold him some 57 and 58 Packards and have bought numerous parts. Every transaction was very fair.

StudeRich
02-14-2017, 01:45 AM
All those Studes. WERE probably savable, BEFORE they were stored outside in too many Wisconsin Winters.
That must be the Guy that was on that Velocity TV Show with all the Buildings falling on the Parts and Cars. :ohmy:

swvalcon
02-14-2017, 03:56 AM
studeRich I was thinking the same thing. He wasn't selling anything that cheap back then plus a lot was not for sale. We just had a guy's stuff here in the club go though the same thing. A lot of what he had he drove to his place and then parked them for years with that old saying I'am going to restore that some day and some day never came. Now what is left is in french lake junk yard. If he had an auction he wont get that much for them as most look like parts cars at best so it will all go to scrapers and maybe a few flippers.

Buzzard
02-14-2017, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the post-Great pics and even a couple of US6's and Kaiser's. I concur with post#3, too bad they weren't in Chuck Naugle's DRY climate.
Bill

studejohn
02-14-2017, 10:20 AM
That's one nice collection and they don't look all that bad from the pictures but I bet they're really rusty underside. As Chuck Naugal said on his last weeks on this earth it's just enjoyable to see them go as it was to collect them. I highly recommend they have a well advertised auction while the gentleman is still alive so he can enjoy it just as well.

Lou Van Anne
02-14-2017, 10:37 AM
Could someone get the serial number off the white 64 Daytona Hardtop for the registry please?

TWChamp
02-14-2017, 11:26 AM
Even cutting down all the vegetation around the cars would have helped a lot.

Strange that I didn't see any bullet nose Studes.

StudeRich
02-14-2017, 11:36 AM
/Cut/Strange that I didn't see any bullet nose Studes.

Maybe Jim is like me, just NOT a Fan of pre-1953!

Milaca
02-14-2017, 12:12 PM
Even cutting down all the vegetation around the cars would have helped a lot.

Strange that I didn't see any bullet nose Studes.

There is at least one in the photos, but the bullet was removed.

swvalcon
02-14-2017, 12:44 PM
What he needs to do is clean a area and then move all the restorable and very rare cars to that spot and list them for sale so someone could do something with them while they can still be rebuilt. Then put everything else up as parts and parts cars. He cant take it with him and when he was on the pickers he didn't look that young and his daughter didn't sound like she wanted to be stuck with it.

4jc8z
02-14-2017, 01:14 PM
Jim doesn't sell much. He is a 'collector'.

In the past he has mentioned an auction too, but never would come about. Don't hold your breath.

swvalcon
02-14-2017, 02:02 PM
4jc8z That not a collector that's called a hoarder. If you don't believe me just ask my wife.

Jeff T.
02-14-2017, 05:06 PM
Looking at the pictures I see a lot of parts cars and perhaps projects provided you are young enough with deep pockets and unattached.

I remember the Avanti from a past season of American Pickers and it doesn't look any better than it did when the car had its five minutes on tv.

I feel for the family, I spent most of a year cleaning out my parents house after Dad passed and Mom could not live alone anymore. Its very hard to disassemble any aspect of your parents lives one truckload at a time.

Jeff T.

mbstude
02-14-2017, 05:20 PM
What he needs to do is ....

I knew I'd see that on this thread soon enough.

I've never met Jim Bahr. Maybe he is a collector. Maybe he is a hoarder. Maybe having a lot of Studebakers in his backyard makes him happy. Who cares?

57pack
02-14-2017, 06:43 PM
There's another 1958 J body! Maybe someone could get the particulars for the forum member doing a registry.

r1lark
02-14-2017, 06:58 PM
All those Studes. WERE probably savable, BEFORE they were stored outside in too many Wisconsin Winters.
That must be the Guy that was on that Velocity TV Show with all the Buildings falling on the Parts and Cars. :ohmy:

Yes, Jim was on American Pickers. And he is also a great guy. I have bought a lot of stuff from him at York over the years, including a lot of heavy Studebaker V8 crankshafts. :)

Milaca
02-14-2017, 07:23 PM
Most of the Studebakers outside are very rusty and they were likely very rusty when he purchased them. His business was selling Studebaker parts so this is more or less a salvage yard and I could see that some Studebakers had various parts removed for that likely purpose. The Studebakers in the shed are in better condition. He said he will be going to the national meet in South Bend this year as he has that horse-drawn wagon to deliver to a customer. If you need parts or a project, give Jim a call at 715-643-2028.

swvalcon
02-14-2017, 08:43 PM
I agree his cars and he can do what he wants with them. Sooner or later they will turn back into dirt. Just seems a shame to let that happen if someone would put some back on the road. His kids are the ones that will have to clean it all up. Not a lot of fun. Been there done that. I know I have some stuff that I want cleaned up in the near future because once your over 60 you could drop tomorrow for a whole ton of different reasons and I wouldn't want my wife and son to have to clean up a mess.

rkapteyn
02-14-2017, 08:46 PM
Jim is a great guy.
He bought all the stuff from Hurwich.
He had a tornado or high winds come through that ruined his building.
The insurance company refused to pay , with some silly excuse
I think he was overwhelmed with these problems.

Robert Kapteyn

Milaca
02-14-2017, 09:00 PM
Actually, it was heavy snow that collapsed the roof of a steel-framed shed of which he had Studebakers and NOS parts stored in it. He has two other sheds of the same construction that survived, I just hope he doesn't get heavy snow again.

58PackardWagon
02-14-2017, 09:29 PM
A couple of comments. Jim does have three very large outbuildings where his nice cars are stored. Most of the cars outside are parts cars.

The 58 J body is on the registry. I used to own that car. Frame and floor are shot. Same goes with the 57 Packard wagon. It is nice to see that Jim was able to sell some parts off of it and help others with their restorations. My neighbors were on my tail to move that one.

BRUCESTUDE
02-14-2017, 09:53 PM
There's a pic of a Conestoga with tinted glass; this has a Yakima County WA plate...may not be as rusty as others-it's pretty dry here.

rkapteyn
02-15-2017, 06:42 AM
I am in the same boat as Jim.The fortunate thing is that my building is right next to a junk yard.
My son will have to clean up my mess.
I only have 30 or so cars left to scrap and scrapped over 100 so far.
My Toyota told me that he was part Studebaker
My neighbor, who has the junk yard always says when I bring him another Studebaker
"The more Studebakers I crush , the rarer they get to be".
Don't forget the Subaru ad showing a Lark junker ,smoking and all or was that Allstate?
When I worked in Summit Illinois , one of my coworkers drove a 1937 Cord to work everyday.
There were many Studebaker junks in the parking lot including my 1953 Starliner.
When I applied for my job there, my boss drove a 1953 Starliner just like mine and maybe that is why I got the job.
I brought both my sons home in that car and when my daughter was born at home , the Starliner was in the driveway.
They all had the Studebaker lovers gene in them. My daughter drove her 1956 President all trough her college years and it was her wedding car.
My youngest son told me once , that if I completely restored my 57 Golden Hawk , he would like to have it and my oldest son has two 1964 convertibles.
http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?92822-jim-bahr-Wisconsin-Studebaker-American-Pickers

Robert Kapteyn

jwitt
02-15-2017, 07:15 AM
Will he sell any of the whole cars? Looks like there are several good projects there. It's a shame to see them rot into the ground.

StudeDave57
02-15-2017, 11:15 AM
There's a pic of a Conestoga with tinted glass; this has a Yakima County WA plate...may not be as rusty as others-it's pretty dry here.

It's been there since about 2001. It was towed there with the Transtar that was purchased at the same auction!!! I'll have to look around for the photo we took. Maybe Dad will post it...?

4jc8z
02-15-2017, 12:01 PM
Will he sell any of the whole cars? Looks like there are several good projects there. It's a shame to see them rot into the ground.

Back in 2013 he had a paper sheet of cars listed for sale at the Midwest Studebaker Fall Swap Meet in Wisconsin.

I see most all of them I remember being on that list in the photos. Things were priced so you had to like the car more then him. Draw your own conclusions.

Kurt
02-15-2017, 07:04 PM
I knew I'd see that on this thread soon enough.

I've never met Jim Bahr. Maybe he is a collector. Maybe he is a hoarder. Maybe having a lot of Studebakers in his backyard makes him happy. Who cares?

Well said. His cars, his money he can do whatever he wants.

StudeRich
02-15-2017, 08:08 PM

It's been there since about 2001. It was towed there with the Transtar that was purchased at the same auction!!! I'll have to look around for the photo we took. Maybe Dad will post it...?

Yep, I found it! Here it is in April 2001 at the Mc Donald's Apple Orchard Auction in Donald, WA.
It's a Commander Conestoga 62116 It's Brother was there also, a '54 Champion, a very pretty Yellow and Brown one.