PDA

View Full Version : Someone should invent.....

SN-60
02-10-2017, 04:47 PM
.......flip up windshield wiper arms for '63-'89 Avantis!! (the kind that hold the wiper blades at a 90' angle to the windshield...as on 'modern' cars)

It's VERY HARD ON ALREADY FRAGILE WIPER LINKAGE when one forgets to turn off the wipers after work, and then gets 6-12" of snow overnight, starts the engine in the morning and ...uh-oh! :eek:

Don't ask me how I know!!!!!! :whome:

thunderations
02-10-2017, 05:13 PM
How would that help? Would you forget to turn the wipers off, but in the morning remember to lift them before starting the engine?
Might make more sense to install a chime or buzzer to remind you to turn them off, like newer cars have for the headlights.

SN-60
02-10-2017, 05:22 PM
How would that help? Would you forget to turn the wipers off, but in the morning remember to lift them before starting the engine?
Might make more sense to install a chime or buzzer to remind you to turn them off, like newer cars have for the headlights.

I think it may be a habit one develops...At work, for example, if snow is forecast everyone with newer 'Brand X' cars faithfully lift the wipers....Seems a bit strange looking across the parking lot,...but apparently it's effective! :)

Garthok
02-10-2017, 06:55 PM
With the wipers off the windshield you can attack the snow/ice with a scraper without fear of damaging your wipers. :!!:

thunderations
02-10-2017, 09:09 PM
So......the plan would be to lift the wipers when you got home from work? I guess you would notice they were still on because the chances are real slim they would be in the canceled position.
The other question I have is: Why are you leaving an Avanti outside over night, especially if you're in a snow area? Guess I've lived in the sun belt too long where we garage the cars to keep them from melting.

karterfred88
02-10-2017, 10:01 PM
Hmmmm, and it's not hard on a 2016 Mustang? Don't ask me how I know--tired of buying new wiper refills.

Lou Van Anne
02-10-2017, 10:39 PM
Dang! all we have to deal with here in the San Joaquin Valley this time of year is fog....you guys have all the fun!

grobb284
02-11-2017, 06:09 AM
.......flip up windshield wiper arms for '63-'89 Avantis!! (the kind that hold the wiper blades at a 90' angle to the windshield...as on 'modern' cars)

It's VERY HARD ON ALREADY FRAGILE WIPER LINKAGE when one forgets to turn off the wipers after work, and then gets 6-12" of snow overnight, starts the engine in the morning and ...uh-oh! :eek:

Don't ask me how I know!!!!!! :whome:

Wouldn't we then have to put a metal tag on the vehicle by the body tag that this was not factory installed, was not original, so as not to confuse future generations of collectors? Just asking. Trying to stay consistent.

SN-60
02-11-2017, 09:56 AM
Dang! all we have to deal with here in the San Joaquin Valley this time of year is fog....you guys have all the fun!

As difficult as driving in, and dealing with snow can be, I definitely sympathize with you when you mention driving in FOG!! :(

There was a FIFTY+ vehicle pileup on Rt128 (here in Massachusetts) this past Wednesday due to that "Pesky old FOG"! :eek:

52hawk
02-11-2017, 05:56 PM
Spring begins- March 20th 2017!!!

hausdok
02-11-2017, 06:40 PM
By the way,

Re. the O.P.. Find an older Toyota Crown, Corona Mark II or Cressida. Their wiper system uses wipers held on with a nut, like the old Studebaker wipers, but they have wiper arms that flip 90-degrees out from the windshield, as you mentioned above, and will remain there until put back on the windshield. Their wiper motors are also similar in size and style as the Stude wiper motors. Plus, they have intermittent wipers. The circuitry is pretty basic and it might be possible to use the switching mechanism from the Toyota in a Stude steering column and just switch out the lever. If memory serves, it would probably be a pretty clean and easy conversion.

SN-60
02-11-2017, 07:23 PM
By the way,

Re. the O.P.. Find an older Toyota Crown, Corona Mark II or Cressida. Their wiper system uses wipers held on with a nut, like the old Studebaker wipers, but they have wiper arms that flip 90-degrees out from the windshield, as you mentioned above, and will remain there until put back on the windshield. Their wiper motors are also similar in size and style as the Stude wiper motors. Plus, they have intermittent wipers. The circuitry is pretty basic and it might be possible to use the switching mechanism from the Toyota in a Stude steering column and just switch out the lever. If memory serves, it would probably be a pretty clean and easy conversion.

My gosh, could there be TWO hausdok's????...because this very polite post sure doesn't sound anything like your usual 'hits'.....Thanks for the Toyota info....Ed