41 Commanders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 41 Commanders

After owning mine for 15 years I am almost finished in restoring her. You have to understand that for 13 years I lived in to London and rented a nasty lock up garage which was just wide enough to get her in and out, and so I could only work on her when the weather is good, which is about 5 weeks a year. Well I moved West to Weston Super Mare 2 years ago and met a great man whose work with old cars is outstanding, and she lives in nice 1920's garage at the back of the house. So she is going to the paint shop, then some parts are off the be chromed, and it will be a couple of months before she will be ready.
    I have a couple of questions I hope someone can answer. Firstly the interior is a fairly light beige wool cloth that was made here in the UK, shipped to the states and then purchased by me and shipped back again. (I know madness.) My question is what do you think the colour of the carpet might have been? Ten years ago someone told me that all 40's Studebakers had Black carpet. Is this true? At the moment it has got a poo brown carpet which was always a temporary thing. Now I am having one "made to measure". The car is two tone green. The dark Green is the right colour, the light green is a 60's Opel colour. Not original I know but a nice colour AND I think she is the only on here in the UK so, apart from me who else knows So first then what colour carpet should I put in her. Second question rubber for the sills. I understand that they went on the "Slope" of the body where to door opening is, and the carpet goes on the "flat" part of the floor.
    Is this correct? and what joins the rubber and the carpet together? Steel strip?

And one more question, how many of these do you suppose are left in the world?

Paul. UK

I have a 1941 Commander that is driveable, but not restored. It has an original rubber front mat with a brown wool-like carpet in the rear. The trunk also has what is left of a rubber mat. I had a 1940 Commander that had a light brown upholstery. I had light brown carpet installed and it looked good. I have a 1941 Champion that is painted a dark metallic green with a light green stripe. The upholstery (not original) is dark green with a light green carpet front and back. I am thinking about changing that carpet. Shows dirt too easily. The first car I ever remember was a 1941 Commander family car. My Commander is just like it, midnight blue with a lighter, blue-gray stripe.

Comment

I have owned over twenty 41 commanders and presidents. Still have 3. The standard floor was rubber mat in front and carpet in rear. But front was optional carpet. I have seen mostly brown but also have seen dark green carpet in front. Never have seen black. the carpet has binding around the edges. On the door sills, Tom Shrock reproduces them in the correct rubber. https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hc...r/3741381.html

Comment

If you have the body parts book it will show the colors available.

Comment

dark brown...

Comment

Hi Paul,
            those 41's are nice cars. Hopefully it has Overdrive.

Do you know there is a UK Studebaker Owners club ?

Are you a member ?

Regards
            Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
            1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
            1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
            1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
            1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
            1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
            1988 Avanti Convertible