Keeping meeces out of your Studebaker:

A mouse trap that works... on several levels:

5 gallon plastic bucket

Wire coat hanger

Aluminum can

I gallon anti freeze

Some peanut butter

Ramp(s)

Drill/punch small hole in bottom of can, and two holes at top of bucket. Run wire through can, and through holes in bucket.

Cut wire to length, and bend wire to secure to bucket.

Pour one gallon of anti freeze into bucket.

Smear peanut butter on can, center can in top of bucket.

Position ramp(s) (I used a couple of two by fours) in place,so that meeces can get to the top.

They will get on the can to get the peanut butter, the can will spin on the wire, and they fall into the anti freeze, and drown.

The anti freeze not only does not freeze, if you have this set up in an unheated area, but it also serves to preserve the corpse, so that you do not have to deal with that dead mouse odor if you can't get to it right away

Set this one up in the back room of my shop, and this is the result:

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16508454_10206501366412025_3268058185472626025_n.jpg?oh=f7884fd25d1b22b6bcc55a9f 1ff22ca7&oe=5945D460

TWChamp
02-08-2017, 09:42 PM
My neighbor has one by his Studebaker, and he's caught dozens of mice in the past few months.

I have one, but haven't set it up yet. I've caught more than 20 in my two regular Victor traps though.

sweetolbob
02-08-2017, 10:02 PM
A rather eclectic group in there. Thanks, I should have one in my barn so I'll solve that problem shortly.

Now to empty the can.

Bob

Studedude
02-08-2017, 10:38 PM
Now to empty the can.
Bob
That's the hardest part!

wlfrench
02-10-2017, 01:23 PM
I have cats. The only time I worry about mice is when I have to dispose of the leftovers.

jackb
02-10-2017, 04:24 PM
AS an aside, and to add to this piece of science: for those pesky squirrels that eat all the bird food....... Run thick wire (piano type) from tree to tree with birdfeeder hanging in the middle (need 10+ ft. between trees and 5+ ft. off ground to work well). From trees to feeder, run the wire through a series of 2 liter plastic bottles.

larkregal62
02-10-2017, 06:26 PM
PITA will be after you for cruelty to mice!!!!!!!!!!!!

rockne10
02-10-2017, 06:58 PM
Mice, crickets, spiders...

wlfrench
02-10-2017, 07:22 PM

wasn't me, it was the cats. ;->

TWChamp
02-10-2017, 11:39 PM

When I first glanced at your "PITA", I thought it stood for "Pain in the A$$". LOL

An auctioneer used to say it stood for "People Eating Tasty Animals".

Hallabutt
02-11-2017, 02:51 AM
Cats and cars, sometimes yes but.... A garage at home where I used to keep a couple of cars that I cared about, had a small space where a neighborhood tomcat could get in. When my X-wife mentioned that the cat was getting in through the opening, I said good cat means no rodents. That was until I got into the 1937 President coupe and smelled something, and it wasn't from a rodent! The cat had gotten on the hood and peed into the cowl vent! His access was quickly closed.

wlfrench
02-11-2017, 05:52 AM
In 17 years and with as many as 8 cats have yet to have that problem. The worst problem encountered was when one came in the house early one morning carrying something in its mouth. When the cat started jumping up in the air in the still dark living room I'm thinking, what in the world is she doing. Then I saw it. My cat had somehow snatched a bat out of midair and thought it would be fun to bring it home to play with when I'm trying to get ready for work.

Jeffry Cassel
02-12-2017, 02:38 PM
Try "Fresh Cab". Works great smells nice . Mice stay away and it is super easy to use. The last thing you want is dead mice in the car. The stench will be with you for years. You really don't want cats on the car or in the car; "Bob" cost me the whole back seat of my 64. Gotta keep those claws sharp!

GrumpyOne
02-12-2017, 02:45 PM
Keeping meeces out of your Studebaker:

A mouse trap that works... on several levels:

5 gallon plastic bucket

Wire coat hanger

Aluminum can

I gallon anti freeze

Some peanut butter

Ramp(s)

Drill/punch small hole in bottom of can, and two holes at top of bucket. Run wire through can, and through holes in bucket.

Cut wire to length, and bend wire to secure to bucket.

Pour one gallon of anti freeze into bucket.

Smear peanut butter on can, center can in top of bucket.

Position ramp(s) (I used a couple of two by fours) in place,so that meeces can get to the top.

They will get on the can to get the peanut butter, the can will spin on the wire, and they fall into the anti freeze, and drown.

The anti freeze not only does not freeze, if you have this set up in an unheated area, but it also serves to preserve the corpse, so that you do not have to deal with that dead mouse odor if you can't get to it right away

Heh! U gonna B in BIG trouble w/PETA!

swvalcon
02-12-2017, 03:57 PM
PETA People Eating Tasty Animals.

TX Rebel
02-12-2017, 08:59 PM
We have neutered cats for the mice, but I built an effective "redneck bug-zapper" that has worked flawlessly for many years & uses no electricity. I simply installed a couple of brackets & placed a bread pan 3/4 full of diesel fuel below the back porch light. Mosquitoes & other insects, attracted to the light see the reflection of the light on the surface of the fuel & dive in. Like antifreeze the diesel does not evaporate or turn rancid-smelling as soapy water will do.