PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl Top Repair/GT Hawk

Lou Van Anne
02-08-2017, 06:43 PM
Got the vinyl removed, rust wasn't as bad as expected:!: (finally getting a break on this old girl?). Now treating the surface rust and then to the upholstery shop to decide whether to remove the back glass or windshield*, pull back the headliner, remove the stainless molding, check the area underneath for rust and treat as needed. Upholstery guy said he can get matching vinyl...going to let him reapply the vinyl, reinstall headliner....there goes my "beer :mad: money" for the rest of the year. Will you buy one at South Bend?

*going to let him decide whether to pull back the headliner either from the front or the rear...what would you do?:confused:61966

swvalcon
02-08-2017, 07:03 PM
Lou Top doesn't look that bad. I would at the very least put some epoxy primer on the bare metal. Even if you just mix up a small amount and put it on with a small paint brush. I've got you covered for the first beer when we get to South Bend.

Lou Van Anne
02-08-2017, 07:14 PM
Yup, I forgot to list that step. I'll buy the second beer.
Lou Top doesn't look that bad. I would at the very least put some epoxy primer on the bare metal. Even if you just mix up a small amount and put it on with a small paint brush. I've got you covered for the first beer when we get to South Bend.

Milaca
02-08-2017, 08:44 PM
Lou, what condition is the windshield gasket in? If it is hard (and especially if it is cracked) then I would remove the windshield and treat the car to a new windshield gasket. You may find that you have surface rust under the windshield gasket which you can repair at the same time you spray the roof.

Lou Van Anne
02-08-2017, 10:50 PM
Good point...I'll add that to the mix. Do you know?...are front and rear gaskets readily available?...how about the glass?

Lou, what condition is the windshield gasket in? If it is hard (and especially if it is cracked) then I would remove the windshield and treat the car to a new windshield gasket. You may find that you have surface rust under the windshield gasket which you can repair at the same time you spray the roof.

fpstude
02-09-2017, 12:33 AM
Front and rear gaskets are available at Studebaker vendors. Front glass for sure, also rear, most likely. Although, I think it's pretty rare to need a new rear glass. I just cleaned up the old sealers on the rear glass in installed after the headliner installation.

Also, are you sure that is not just a sheet metal screw holding the stainless steel strip to the roof?

Lou Van Anne
02-09-2017, 09:28 AM
Perry, I've told that there are 7 or 8 T bolts holding the molding besides the two sheet metal screws. Who removed your glass?...reinstalled?

fpstude
02-09-2017, 09:52 AM
I removed the glass. A glass installer the upholstery shop works with installed it. If you want, I can get the name.