PDA

View Full Version : You can learn from Studebaker

jclary
02-08-2017, 01:42 PM
I have heard complaints about Studebaker staying with hood prop rods. However, after the gas hood supports suddenly failed on my Ram truck, I decided I needed something better. With no warning, the hood slammed with the force of a wayward guillotine!:eek: Fortunately I was out of the way. After checking prices of new gas springs...my solution...a good old dependable prop rod.:!:

Sorry about the sideway pic. I don't know how to rotate it on this iPhone.

swvalcon
02-08-2017, 02:20 PM
Come on John you know when you replace a part like that it is suppose to be a redneck 2x4.

j.byrd
02-08-2017, 02:22 PM
Hood props are GOOD ! My wife's 2009 Miata has one too ! (factory)

StudeRich
02-08-2017, 02:44 PM
Shoudda got a Studebaker! :D

Lou Van Anne
02-08-2017, 02:51 PM
Hope that is a genuine Studebaker prop!

Corvanti
02-08-2017, 02:52 PM
i had the same problem with my '06 Volvo. i used a spare shower curtain rod that's adjustable. works great:cool:. will replace the hood support rod at some point soon. but as i have found out, Volvo parts ain't cheap!:ohmy:

jrlemke
02-08-2017, 03:03 PM
For my '04 Pontiac G/P I used a piece of pvc tube cut to snap over the rod on the lift. I made a holder to store it on the fuse box. No more problem! By the way, the only support rod that fits an '04 G/P is an '04 G/P, great engineering! -Jim

Commander Eddie
02-08-2017, 03:20 PM
Sometimes the old way is the best. You won't lose your head with that.

jclary
02-08-2017, 03:47 PM
Hope that is a genuine Studebaker prop!

Actually, it was a garden flag holder. I was able to use an existing hole in the cross piece.
With a little creative cutting and bending, it works great and stores away as neat as the ones on my Studebaker

brngarage
02-08-2017, 07:35 PM
I was gonna ask what. model Studebaker your prop rod came from, but never mind......m

HAWK64
02-08-2017, 08:07 PM
Hood props are GOOD ! My wife's 2009 Miata has one too ! (factory)

I recall having a Miata (MX5) twenty years ago & those Mazda hoods were so light. Far different to my '64 Hawk which gets heavier to lift as i get older!!

dleroux
02-08-2017, 08:43 PM
Go to: "SPD" spdhardware.com They distribute just about any gas strut you can imagine. If I had to guess, you probably have a pair of 50# struts holding up the hood. Measure them but if it's close, it would be part #6173 & should cost about $23.00 each.

GrumpyOne
02-08-2017, 09:09 PM
"Sorry about the sideway pic. I don't know how to rotate it on this iPhone. "

Rotate the i-Phone!

jclary
02-08-2017, 09:19 PM
"Sorry about the sideway pic. I don't know how to rotate it on this iPhone. "

Rotate the i-Phone!

I kinda accidentally stumbled upon that little fact later in the day when I took the pics for my last post. Wish I was smart enough to "figger" it out earlier, but discovering that was purely an accident of the way I held the camera.:rolleyes::)

BobWaitz
02-08-2017, 09:57 PM
My 2017 Honda Ridgeline has a hood prop.

tbredehoft
02-09-2017, 01:11 AM
All of my Subarus from 1980 to the present have had hood props.

bensherb
02-09-2017, 01:23 AM
"You can learn from Studebaker"

But they could learn from us too. If you have a '56 up Hawk you probably know the hood doesn't go up high enough to work under it unless you're only 4 feet tall and then you couldn't reach much beyond the fender anyway. This really annoyed me and I was fed up with it within a week of getting my Stude. Given the limits of the hood hinge opperation, not much can be done for a '53-'54 C/K but the hood prop rod can be legnthened 8" on a sedan. The prop rod for the later '56 up hawk can be legnthened about 11", but if it were simply made longer it won't fit under the hood. I made and extention that easily slips on and off making it very easy to work under the hood. I have a bracket to hold it when not in use made from a couple cable clamps mounted to the radiator support.

345 DeSoto
02-09-2017, 07:34 AM
Actually, it was a garden flag holder. I was able to use an existing hole in the cross piece.
With a little creative cutting and bending, it works great and stores away as neat as the ones on my Studebaker

Now THAT is clever...

Mike Van Veghten
02-09-2017, 07:45 AM
Annoying and in the way...yes, even my Titanium rods (two cars)..!

What happened to good ol proper weighted springs, or lightest, simplest yet "over-backward" hinges that lock in place.

Neither of those will unexpectedly close on unsuspecting heads.

Mike

jclary
02-09-2017, 08:06 AM
"You can learn from Studebaker"

But they could learn from us too. If you have a '56 up Hawk you probably know the hood doesn't go up high enough to work under it unless you're only 4 feet tall and then you couldn't reach much beyond the fender anyway. This really annoyed me and I was fed up with it within a week of getting my Stude. Given the limits of the hood hinge opperation, not much can be done for a '53-'54 C/K but the hood prop rod can be legnthened 8" on a sedan. The prop rod for the later '56 up hawk can be legnthened about 11", but if it were simply made longer it won't fit under the hood. I made and extention that easily slips on and off making it very easy to work under the hood. I have a bracket to hold it when not in use made from a couple cable clamps mounted to the radiator support.

Crazy ain't it...how sometimes we do similar things to solve different problems. Back in the 1990's, after I had spent years restoring my 1948 Business Coupe, I was alarmed at how close folks came with their huge belt-buckles to my nice newly painted fenders when looking under the hood at car shows.:eek: To solve that problem, I shortened the hood prop rod. That way, to get a good view of the engine, folks have to back up and bend down to view the engine bay. It works great!:!:

In my case, I have a slip on extension used only when I work on it. On the '48, (for me) the original length gives sufficient height for under hood work.:)

By the way, I did not cut the original hood prop rod. I merely used a piece of correct diameter rod to duplicate the original. If I ever sell the car, the original prop rod can be reinstalled in place of my custom two piece modification.

Doug M
02-10-2017, 10:58 AM
MY dodge ram has a custom fibreglass shovel handle for a prop rod