PDA

View Full Version : Looking at car with salvage title...... hurt value much?

lelshaddai
02-08-2017, 11:16 AM
I am looking at a 59 Silver Hawk that has a salvage title. Looks like it can be rebuilt, at a cost of course. How much does this hurt the long term value and ability to resell?

karterfred88
02-08-2017, 11:35 AM
Not much in the restoration world. In a used car world, meaning maybe 10-15 year old cars it plays a part, but a restored salvage vehicle, if done right, won't usually be worth less than a restored non-salvage title car. In fact in many states, you aren't even going to be able to get a title for a vehicle over 25 years old, they are just transferred with a bill of sale. Ever watch "Grave Yard Carz" on Velocity? About the only thing original is the ID plates-talk about salvage. Bet you couldn't tell the difference in sale prices, maybe an original might bring less money.

tim333
02-08-2017, 11:44 AM
I bought a 77 Cutlass S and didn't notice the title said "rebuilt". Dumb on my part, had a terrible time reselling and ended up getting only half what I paid for it even after several improvements to the car. Lesson learned.

- - - Updated - - -

I bought a 77 Cutlass S and didn't notice the title said "rebuilt". Dumb on my part, had a terrible time reselling and ended up getting only half what I paid for it even after several improvements to the car. Lesson learned. Bought in 2013 and sold in 2015.

Robert Crandall
02-08-2017, 12:11 PM
I will make a guess that the car could be the one described here:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?99055-Phoenix-Craigslist-Find

A very nice car, in my opinion.

swvalcon
02-08-2017, 01:20 PM
I would document the damage and how it was repaired and I can't see where it would affect the car at all on resale if done right.

Bob Caser
02-08-2017, 07:56 PM
I just had my daily driver turned into a salvage title by the other parties insurance company. I bought the salvage back and will keep the car as it performs perfectly . It will cost several hundred dollars to repair and it was salvaged for $6,000. So inspection of what was the damage to create the salvage title is the most important thing. From my experience insurance companies are taking the easy way out.

jclary
02-08-2017, 08:49 PM
Back when I was selling tools to body shops, I've seen many repaired cars that probably should have been given "salvage" titles because of the work painted over AFTER the repairs.:QQ:

tim333
02-08-2017, 10:42 PM
Bob, what did it cost to buy the title back?

Bob Caser
02-08-2017, 11:23 PM
Bob, what did it cost to buy the title back?

Less than $1,000 dollars. I considered it a good deal for me.

cstude1
02-09-2017, 10:48 PM
Just for information, the actual Hagerty Insurance estimate calls for 16 hours in a frame shop to repair the frame. The sheet metal parts and chrome items are obvious.