PDA

View Full Version : New member from Hamburg/Germany

gsx_martin
02-08-2017, 10:10 AM
Hello @ all or "Moin" how we say here in northern germany.

Normally I had planned to write when my Studebaker has arrived here in Hamburg.
But unfortunately a guy from the forwarding company has filled out some papers for the customs in the wrong way and my Studebaker has not been shipped to germany yet.
Due to this fact, I have to wait another month until the 3rd of March :QQ:

Me, that is Martin. I'm 45 years old and I bought my 1955 Commander Sedan from Randy and Nell a couple of weeks ago.

This commander is my first Studebaker, it is the first classic car at all for me.
I am a little bit excited and can't wait until my "new" car will arrive in Hamburg.

I have had a look to the german SDC Chapter, but it seems it is not active anymore. The last entry is from 2015 without any response. :ohmy:

I like your forum and I was surprised how busy it is. I already found some answers to my questions and I'm sure, I will have several questions in future.

Best regards
Martin

Commander Eddie
02-08-2017, 10:23 AM
Welcome, Martin. Welcome to the Studebaker addiction (I mean hobby). I am excited for you as you await your "new" Studebaker. My first car was a 1955 Commander that my dad had first purchased and turned it into a really fast car. I was surprised when one day he handed me the keys. I was very excited, just as you are now so I know how you feel.
These are great cars and you made a good choice. I am curious why you decided on a Studebaker. Please post photos when you get your car and keep us apprised on your progress as you use and work on it.
You should go ahead and join the International SDC by going to their website at http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/index.asp
I have seen posts here from members in Germany so maybe one of them will see this and get in touch with you about how you can get plugged in with other Studebaker owners there. It sure is nice to have another member from Europe and specifically Germany. I hope your car arrives on time.

gsx_martin
02-08-2017, 10:59 AM
I am curious why you decided on a Studebaker.
Oh, this is a long story.
I visited Alabama and Florida for vacation this year. I saw a couple of very nice classic cars. Some were offered for sell.
I thought, it must be very expensive to ship a car from the states to germany. So I do not thought about these cars any longer.
Back in germany I get some informations about shipping cars to germany. I recognizied that it is not as expensive as I thought.
So I start search for a car on Hemmings.
First I searched for a Pickup. I like the 2R5 but when I searched for a nice car I can't find the right one. The one was too expensive, the other was too rusty.
So, I searched for other cars and on this way I came to the Studebaker Commander.
My problem was that I can't check the car in the US, cause I do not have enough time to come in the US a second time this year.
Then I found the Comander, offerd by Randy and Nell. I like the car, I had a good communication with Randy and Nell. So I trusted in my good feeling and now the Commander is mine ;-)

Please post photos when you get your car and keep us apprised on your progress as you use and work on it.
I promise I will do

j.byrd
02-08-2017, 12:13 PM
gsx_martin, You will enjoy Randy and Nell's car, it is as good as they say. They are very nice people and they always cared for their cars. I suppose this is the green one they had, saw it several times. I was also in a couple of clubs when we lived in Alabama, and that is where I met them years ago. Welcome to the Studebaker world, great folks with great cars and a super club (SDC). Oh, I also have a 55 Commander (with President emblems), but mine is a coupe. Again, welcome ! John

Noxnabaker
02-08-2017, 01:04 PM
Hello Martin, I'd advise you to get in touch with the Dutch Studebaker-Packard Club, not far away from you & they've got quite some cars, not as many as Sweden but I'd say more than Germany + a guy with LOADS of spare-parts if you ever will need any!
(I also have a -55 sedan, but a Champion that I've put a V8 in.)
Best luck & many miles!!!

Bob Bryant
02-08-2017, 01:24 PM
Martin: Welcome to the Studebaker world! There are many helpful people on the SDC forum that are available if you ever need any information or advice. I was in Darmstadt years ago while in the military. Later both of my children were living in your country and we would visit beautiful Germany. Best wishes.

2moredoors
02-08-2017, 01:43 PM
Welcome to the Forum. I would suggest that you get in contact with the International Zone Director
"Paul Dammes
Tramweg 14
3255 MB Oude Tonge
The Netherlands .
Tel / Fax 0031187642955"
Paul is very knowledgable and has visited the USA numerous times to attend SDC International meets. You may email him by clicking on his email found in the contacts area of the Studebaker Drivers Club Home Page.
I too have a 1955 Studebaker President (Sedan). It is a fine driver quality car. I am sure that you will enjoy your Commander as much as I enjoy my President. Good luck with the car and enjoy our club.

cliff t

hausdok
02-08-2017, 10:30 PM
Martin,

Herzlich Willkommen in dem Club! Wo wohnen Sie in Norddeutschland? Ich war einmal in der Nähe von Bremerhaven stationiert. Dei Leute hier wird immer gerne behilflich sein. Zu jeder Zeite, Stellen Sie Ihre Fragen!

Translation for those who don't speak German: I welcomed Martin to the club. Asked where he lives in Northern Germany. Mentioned I was once stationed near Bremerhaven and told him that the people here are extremely helpful and told him to ask questions anytime.

It looks to me like his English is better than my German, so I don't expect he'll ever post in German here or need a translator; but it doesn't hurt to let him know that if he does need one there is someone here that can help.

Quentin
02-09-2017, 02:34 AM
Hello @ all or "Moin" how we say here in northern Germany.
Best regards
Martin

Greetings from Down Under. We're everywhere !! Quentin

christophe
02-09-2017, 03:08 AM
Welcome to the forum, Martin.
I hope you'll enjoy your car as much as I enjoy my Hawk. Hold on! You just have 24 days to wait for your car.
If I'm not indiscreet, I'd like to know (roughly) how much you paid to get your car sent to Germany. I'd love to get another Studebaker.
You'll soon discover that getting parts for your car is very easy, even in Europe. There are a lot of vendors and some parts are also available through more classic channels.
There is a forum German member that owns a Hawk and a Lark but I can't recall his name. There is a also an Austrian (same name on the forum) who currently restores a 1954 Champion Starliner.
I've heard that a European meeting should be held in Switzerland in May but that is all the info I got.
Welcome again and nice day to all.

Christophe

gsx_martin
02-09-2017, 02:56 PM
Martin,

Herzlich Willkommen in dem Club! Wo wohnen Sie in Norddeutschland? Ich war einmal in der Nähe von Bremerhaven stationiert. Dei Leute hier wird immer gerne behilflich sein. Zu jeder Zeite, Stellen Sie Ihre Fragen!

Translation for those who don't speak German: I welcomed Martin to the club. Asked where he lives in Northern Germany. Mentioned I was once stationed near Bremerhaven and told him that the people here are extremely helpful and told him to ask questions anytime.

It looks to me like his English is better than my German, so I don't expect he'll ever post in German here or need a translator; but it doesn't hurt to let him know that if he does need one there is someone here that can help.

I live approxematly 30km/20 miles south west from Hamburg in a small town called Revenahe. 500 people lives here and 600 cows :lol:
Bremerhaven is approx. 60km/40 miles away.

Good to know, that I can ask you in german, if I have problems with the translation to english :!!:

@ Christophe
The shipping including habour handling in Savannah and Bremerhaven costs 1950€/2100$.
In this price the transport from the seller to the harbour is included.

Noxnabaker
02-09-2017, 03:08 PM
I really like that more Studebakers comes to Europe but if you wanna buy one nearer & drive it home, Sweden aint that awfully far away... ;)
(No, mine's not for sale thou!)

packard352
02-09-2017, 05:16 PM
Hello Martin from the UK!

We have the Studebaker Owners Club UK www.studebakerownersclub.org.uk and we have a few members from other countries that have joined our club. A couple of years ago, the UK hosted the Annual European Tour. I took a day off work and loaded a small movie on YouTube. Cars came from Belgium, Switzerland, France, Italy and I'm not sure if anyone came from Germany https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8levUsVgHU

Separately, I've created a Studebaker Owners Club UK Facebook page, which you're very welcome to join... you can never have enough people to connect with to ask those questions that need an answer!

Welcome to your "new" Studebaker family, which is a global collective - hope you have some good times to come,
Richard

hausdok
02-09-2017, 07:30 PM
I live approxematly 30km/20 miles south west from Hamburg in a small town called Revenahe. 500 people lives here and 600 cows :lol:
Bremerhaven is approx. 60km/40 miles away.

Good to know, that I can ask you in german, if I have problems with the translation to english :!!:

@ Christophe
The shipping including habour handling in Savannah and Bremerhaven costs 1950€/2100$.

Wow, that's a pretty good price for shipping that far. Did you have to pay any kind of import duties at the port?

christophe
02-10-2017, 02:55 AM
@ Christophe

Thanks for your reply, Martin.
I hope you won't have any further delays and that your car will arrive in good shape.

christophe
02-10-2017, 02:58 AM
I really like that more Studebakers comes to Europe but if you wanna buy one nearer & drive it home, Sweden aint that awfully far away... ;)
(No, mine's not for sale thou!)

That's a sweet idea Nox. I'd love the journey.

Noxnabaker
02-10-2017, 03:58 PM
Ok, Christophe, if you're traveling with Studebaker, (& why shouldn't you be, they're built to be driven!) you could stop by here, I'm in the south part & we've got spare rooms. :)

hausdok
02-10-2017, 05:05 PM
Ah, I see. Bremerhaven costs - 1950 Euros - that would be the import tax. My bad.

gsx_martin
02-11-2017, 01:36 AM
Wow, that's a pretty good price for shipping that far. Did you have to pay any kind of import duties at the port?

I have to pay additional 6% tax of the price for the car + the shipping price. In my case approx. 450€/500$
The complete car import costs:
Shipping: 2100$
Tax: 500$

hausdok
02-11-2017, 01:43 AM
I have to pay additional 6% tax of the price for the car + the shipping price. In my case approx. 450€/500$
The complete car import costs:
Shipping: 2100$
Tax: 500$

Still not too bad. I'm surprised.

gsx_martin
02-11-2017, 02:54 AM
Still not too bad. I'm surprised.

Me too.
I expected much more

rkapteyn
02-11-2017, 06:19 AM
Welcome
Here is a link to the Dutch website.
http://spcn.nl
Schnackst du Platt?

Robert Kapteyn

Swiss-Goldenhawk
02-11-2017, 07:03 AM
Hello Martin

Also welcome from Switzerland and congratulations to your Studebaker. Enjoy it.

The European Studebaker meet should be from 25th - 28th May 2017 in Switzerland I've seen.

Regards

Rudy

gsx_martin
02-11-2017, 09:28 AM
Welcome
Here is a link to the Dutch website.
http://spcn.nl

(http://spcn.nl)

(http://spcn.nl)

Thanks for the link

Schnackst du Platt?

Unfortunately not. But I understand most of it.
I also unterstand a little bit written dutch, it is a little bit like platt :woot:

gsx_martin
02-11-2017, 10:15 AM
Hello Martin

The European Studebaker meet should be from 25th - 28th May 2017 in Switzerland I've seen.

Regards

Rudy

Yes, I have seen the date of the european meet. I hope, I can be there

hausdok
02-11-2017, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the link

Unfortunately not. But I understand most of it.
I also unterstand a little bit written dutch, it is a little bit like platt :woot:

LOL,

The first time I heard platt Deutsch I was with a friend and we were hicking in the peat moors south of Bremerhaven. After a time it seemed like we should be angling more to the west but the sun indicated that we were still headed more southeast. Seeing a German gent out walking his dog, I stopped him and asked for directions, using my fresh from the Defense Language Institute hoch Deutsch. He answered me in something I couldn't understand. I stood there baffled, trying to figure out what he had just said, wondering if perhaps he was a Hungarian or from a Nordic country. My friend said, "What did he say, Mike?" Not willing to be defeated, I asked the gentleman the question again, only this time speaking more slowly, so I would get the enunciation perfect. The gentleman looked kind of amused - as if he were talking to an idiot with a third eye - and answered me in again in the same language. Again, I was baffled. My friend said again, "What did he say, Mike?" Defeated, I said to my friend, "I have no idea." My friend kind of jeered at me and said, "Man, I thought you just graduated from the Defense Language Institute. Didn't they teach you how to ask for direction?" I said, "Yeah, they did; but I have no idea what he just said to me."

The German gent had been listening in silence. I assumed he had no idea what I was saying. Finally, I turned to the guy to thank him, figuring that I'd move on down the road and find a German to talk to instead of an immigrant, at which point the gent smiled and then said to my friend in perfect English, shocking the hell out of both of us, "Actually, Mike's German is very good. However, I was speaking platt Deutsch, which is a northern German dialect. Go up here another half mile, turn right onto a brick path and follow that path for another five miles and it will take you to the town of Garlstadt which is near one of your American bases. Have a good day," Off he strolled, leaving the two of us standing there with our mouths open. My friend and I had a good laugh about it, but I'll bet that gent laughed harder when he told the story to someone else.

gsx_martin
02-12-2017, 12:31 AM
I can imagine your face :lol::lol:
I understand platt more or less due to the fact that my grandpa only speak platt.
One time I visited the grandma of my girlfriend, she lives in Flensburg, near to the danish border. She also only speak platt. But I do not understood her. :eek:
There are several dialects within platt. The Flensburger platt is totally different from the platt which is spoken near to the netherlands. And both are differnt to the Hamburg platt which I know.

hausdok
02-12-2017, 04:58 AM
I know Flensburg.

I was a Criminal Investigator for the Military Police and during that tour in Germany I had a special extra duty - Juvenile Investigator. Any investigation of any suspected crime(s) involving American Children anywhere north of Köln in Germany was my responsibility. The teenagers all came to Bremerhaven and stayed in a dormitory all week to attend the American high school in Garlstedt, but they went home on weekends to the various American garrisons. If I had to deal with An American kid who was, for instance, suspected of assaulting a German citizen, I'd have to have the parents present before I could question the kid and the best way to do that was to go to the garrison the parent was stationed at on a weekend. They gave me a very nice leased VW Golf to drive and I spent a lot of time crisscrossing Norddeutschland - usually with one of my Krippo counterparts along for the ride. I had about 25 American installations to cover and one of them was in Flensburg. Beautiful country up there. Folks up there seemed a little more jolly than the oh-so-serious folks down around Bremerhaven. My counterparts in the Krippo got me interested in competitive marksmanship and in 1986 I won the championship, shooting against German police, British, American, Dutch and Belgian sharpshooters at the German/American Volksfest in Bremerhaven. That was my first, and favorite, assignment in Germany. I think the American garrison at Carl Schurz Kaserne outside of Bremerhaven has been closed for years.

gsx_martin
02-12-2017, 06:00 AM
I think the American garrison at Carl Schurz Kaserne outside of Bremerhaven has been closed for years.

Yes, it has been closed in 1993. Now there is a industrial area located.

Steigerbaker
02-12-2017, 12:43 PM
Hi Martin (and Hello all),

it's time for me to say "Moin" although my (School-)English is far away from perfect (sorry). Martin, you‘ll be not the only one in the Hamburg area! My name is Christian, I'm 49 years old and since June 2016 I'm a proud owner of a 64 Studebaker Commander 8 Wagonaire, but till now we did only a few miles. I had to do an extensive brake job and had to pay some attention on ignition and cooling system, so I'm looking forward on my first season with this rare and charismatic car. I'm quite new to Studebaker, but not to the Classic Car Theme: Since I'm 17 years old I'm crazy for the Products of the Borgward Group in Bremen (Germany), so Isabella and Arabella are Companions for many years and also two Goliath/Hansa 1100 found their way in my garage. I must admit, that also this Stude found me coincidentally, I wasn't in search for another classic car, but this one excited me with his charming patina of 42 000 original miles, first paint in Golden Sand, nearly perfect interior and fully documentation since delivery in October 1963. Okay, it's the less popular Version with fixed roof, but my preference for orphan cars had been stronger than any rationality. (And: My children – 4 and 14 – told me to buy it.)

So, it's February and winter in Hamburg, the streets outside are full of salt and I have to be patiently for three or four weeks. First impressions: A quality car, built to last, comfortable, very driveable and not big for everyday life in Europe – and even a mystery for most of the petrolheads here in Germany ("Fiat? Simca? Hillman? Rambler? Huh… Studebaker?! Didn't the had this bullet nose?"). Most of them are more or less familiar with Mustangs and Corvettes and perhaps the Tri Star Chevys, but not with the brands who tried hard and failed. Martin, what about a Studebaker Talk at the "Oldtimertanke" (a restored filling station from 1953 and central meeting point for classic car people in the Hamburg area) at the Elbbrücken? (Perhaps there are some more Studebaker drivers in Northern Germany: This is the chance to get in contact!)

Best regards
Christian

gsx_martin
02-12-2017, 01:16 PM
Hi Christian,

nice to hear from another Stude-Driver from Hamburg :!!:
Oldtimertanke sounds great. I have seen a TV report about this fuelstation a couple of month ago. But I haven't it in mind until you wrote about it.

rkapteyn
02-12-2017, 02:06 PM
I worked in Brake where they spoke Ostfries and Platt and when the plant people wanted to say something between each other for me not to hear ,in their dialect ,I could understand it perfectly well because I was born in Holland.

gsx_martin
02-12-2017, 03:37 PM
I worked in Brake where they spoke Ostfries and Platt and when the plant people wanted to say something between each other for me not to hear ,in their dialect ,I could understand it perfectly well because I was born in Holland.

In Germany, we say: "selber ausgetrickst". Is it: "Tricked out by yourself" in english? :lol: :!:

Noxnabaker
02-12-2017, 04:31 PM
Howdy again, just came to think about a German guy I met at Old Style Weekend outside Udevalla (Sweden) some years ago, he had a -53 Champion sedan he bought in Denmark, see the pic I got from internet, it's the same car!
(& If anyone is into Rockabilly & cars before -56 then go there, it's hill-climbing & party: google A-bombers Old Style Weekend!)
Just had to write that... ;)
Sadly I don't remember where he was from thou.

hausdok
02-12-2017, 04:44 PM
In Germany, we say: "selber ausgetrickst". Is it: "Tricked out by yourself" in english? :lol: :!:Martin,

We would say that they had outsmarted themselves.

gsx_martin
02-13-2017, 12:29 AM
Martin,

We would say that they had outsmarted themselves.

Thanks, I hope I can remember the next time

christophe
02-13-2017, 03:10 AM
Ok, Christophe, if you're traveling with Studebaker, (& why shouldn't you be, they're built to be driven!) you could stop by here, I'm in the south part & we've got spare rooms. :)

That's very kind of you. I'll keep that in mind.

christophe
02-13-2017, 03:14 AM
Hello Martin

Regards

Rudy

Hi Rudy,
Do you know where it will be held? I still don't have any informations about that.

Swiss-Goldenhawk
02-14-2017, 01:18 PM
Hi Christophe

Sorry, I don't know where the meet will be located, but I will try to contact the organiser.

Regards

Rudy

rkapteyn
02-14-2017, 03:29 PM
http://www.studebakerownersclub.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Future-Events3.pdf

christophe
02-15-2017, 02:33 AM
Hi Christophe

Sorry, I don't know where the meet will be located, but I will try to contact the organiser.

Regards

Rudy

Thanks. I already tried this via their site but got no reply.
Robert, thank you for the email address.

gsx_martin
03-17-2017, 01:00 PM
Hi again!

It takes a long time, but today the car arrived at it's new home :!!:

6292462921 62922

My wife is also very happy with the car

TWChamp
03-17-2017, 02:15 PM
That's a very nice looking 55.
I'm still kicking myself for not buying a nice driver 1955 sedan about 6 years ago for only $650 from a small car dealer in South Dakota.
At that time I just didn't care for the looks of the front chrome, so I passed on a very good deal.

Noxnabaker
03-17-2017, 04:55 PM
I see the plates on the van says Stade, is that where you're living?
We've passed there many times going the smaller roads between Holland & Sweden as we fancy ships & went many times by the Gluckstadt ferry, nice area!

gsx_martin
03-17-2017, 06:08 PM
Yes, I live between Stade and Hamburg.
I uses Glückstadt Ferry very often, when I do a tour with my motorbike